Help. Part-time law student in NY area...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hkp

Help. Part-time law student in NY area...

Postby hkp » Tue May 24, 2011 2:40 pm

I plan to be a part-time law student in the New York area starting this Fall. I have been accepted to NYLS (with $15k), Hofstra (with $15k), and St. John's (with no money). Now, there is still a very slight possibility I may decide to switch into full-time. In that case, my options are CUNY and Hofstra (with $20k).

I was wait-listed at Brooklyn, and rather than wait till July or August to hear from them, I asked to take my name off the waiting list. And lastly, I have still not heard from Fordham. So, assuming I do not get into Fordham, or am accepted with no money, what do I do?

(And just to put this out there from the get-go, I'd rather not take the LSAT again and wait till next year to apply.)

MTal

Re: Help. Part-time law student in NY area...

Postby MTal » Tue May 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Don't go. Period.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Stipulations on those scholarships? Normally I'd say go to whichever school is cheapest and/or has the easiest scholarship to maintain. However, Fordham isn't worth sticker but those other schools are really bad. I think your best option would probably be Fordham PT assuming you are working and can use that money to help cover costs. If you don't get that then whichever PT program is cheapest/easiest to keep the scholarship.

That being said, you should:

hkp wrote:(And just to put this out there from the get-go, I'd rather not take the LSAT again and wait till next year to apply.)

This really is your best option, even if you don't want to.

hkp

Postby hkp » Tue May 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Stipulations
Hofstra -- top 40% of class
NYLS -- 3.3 GPA

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:14 pm

hkp wrote:Stipulations
Hofstra -- top 40% of class
NYLS -- 3.3 GPA

Normally what is important is what percentage of the class gets a 3.3 or higher at NYLS. However, Hofstra is a much better school (60% of 2009 grads there became full time lawyers whereas only 45% of 2009 NYLS grads became lawyers, source: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com) and I bet that there stipulations are looser than NYLS. That being said, you are still more likely to lose your Hofstra scholarship than you are to keep so that is something to think about.

As I said above, you should retake/reapply as these really are poor options.

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Tue May 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Part-Time programs are tough in NY. Most don't give schollys because your job is kinda considered your scholarship. So you essentially have Fordham for PT, and the rest (Brooklyn, St. Johns, NYLS, Hofstra). I personally wouldn't pay sticker at Fordham, unless I had a decent paying job. Otherwise for the rest of the schools its up to you if you can stomach paying whatever the costs are. I would say retake/reapply if you want to get into Fordham, if not there isn't much out there in terms of retaking because of limited scholly amounts. So if you don't want to go that route, then just choose the cheapest.

hkp

Postby hkp » Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 pm

I have heard/read horrible things about NYLS. But, I work with a great attorney who is a NYLS graduate.

And for Hofstra, I have heard some good and some bad. Anyone on this forum a Hofstra Law student or graduate, or know one? Your experience? I think it is coming down to me picking between NYLS and Hofstra...

Unless, I get over it and decide to just go the full-time route. In that case, Hofstra or CUNY...

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed May 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Go CUNY full time if you're willing to work in public interest/public service. If not, don't go. NY is a tough state to go to law school in if you don't have the right numbers. If you don't want to retake the LSAT again, then wait until the next cycle and apply to law schools out of state. With the numbers I assume you have, you could probably get into schools in less competitive markets. Though you would be paying out of state (sometimes for only the first year) or private school tuition, the job market would be a lot stronger. Nevertheless, CUNY is dirt cheap and it'll give you the chance to bust your ass in law school. If, by some miracle, you end you up near the top of your class, you'll find a decent job. If not, you didn't waste a whole lot of money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”