GULC ($$$) vs Penn (Sticker)?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC 75K (25k/year) vs Penn (Sticker)

GULC (75K)
81%
Penn (Sticker)
19%

Total votes: 37

lawscholar20

New

GULC ($$$) vs Penn (Sticker)??

Post by lawscholar20 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Here is my situation.......

I am currently on the Penn WL and made it through the first cut. I believe my chances of getting in off the WL are rather strong.

I have also deposited at GULC where I was awarded 75K (25K/year) in merit scholarships.

When I was admitted at GULC I did not think I was going to get as much money as I did. I proceeded to assure Penn numerous times that if admitted I would very likely attend. I recently received my award from GULC. My current financial position will allow me to go to GULC and come out basically debt free. Should I be admitted to Penn it is very likely that I will not receive any money, as I have heard they are out of merit scholarships.

Although this question is currently a hypothetical one, I would like to hear the TLS population's thoughts on the matter. I am married with a child and a move to either DC or Philly would take a couple months of preparation. If the general consensus is GULC, I would probably withdraw from Penn ASAP and move on.

I would like to end up with a big/mid law firm job in NYC.

Thanks for your help.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: GULC ($$$) vs Penn (Sticker)??

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 pm

come back when you actually get into penn

/thread

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:12 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:come back when you actually get into penn

/thread
No, I think he should make the choice now, or at least consider whether he should forgo Penn without $$$.

Penn will place better in NYC big law, but not by 75K worth. Take Gtown.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Tue May 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:come back when you actually get into penn

/thread
No, I think he should make the choice now, or at least consider whether he should forgo Penn without $$$.

+1 ... no debt is a great option. especially if you have a family.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Penn will place better in NYC big law, but not by 75K worth. Take Gtown.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawscholar20

New

Post by lawscholar20 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:25 am

Can anyone make an argument for Penn?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu May 26, 2011 3:40 am

fingersxd wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:No, I think he should make the choice now, or at least consider whether he should forgo Penn without $$$.

+1 ... no debt is a great option. especially if you have a family.

stylishlaw

Bronze

Post by stylishlaw » Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 am

75K at GTown is a TON of money

damage-inc

Bronze

Post by damage-inc » Thu May 26, 2011 9:48 am

My current financial position will allow me to go to GULC and come out basically debt free.
pretty much the end of story I would think?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu May 26, 2011 9:56 am

Go to Gtown. In your situtation you need to consider child care costs in additon to total cost of attendance. That scholarship will help minimize extra debt that you will need for child care, and to keep the child fed, in clothes and in a good daycare while you are at class and studying. Penn would be a fine choice for others, but in your situtation- I would choose Gtown and start getting ready for the move. You could be riding the Penn WL until August- and that will leave you time for a mad dash scramble and minimal time researching and visiting child care centers in addition to finding a decent housing arrangement for you and your family.
Congrats on the Scholly and dont look back!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Thu May 26, 2011 10:25 am

lawscholar20 wrote:Can anyone make an argument for Penn?
Penn is in a much better city with a lower cost of living.

That said, I think the other posters make the stronger argument, and GULC sounds right for you.

lawscholar20

New

Post by lawscholar20 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks everyone for your votes and input.

Although Penn places better in NYC than GULC, the ability to walk out of a T-14 close to debt free makes GULC a very tempting choice,

A friend of mine made the argument to me that although GULC does not place as well in NYC, being that I will not have a mountain of debt facing me at the end of school, I will be able to take a NYC job that pays initially slightly less than what I would expect.

Does this make sense?

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu May 26, 2011 2:48 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:Thanks everyone for your votes and input.

Although Penn places better in NYC than GULC, the ability to walk out of a T-14 close to debt free makes GULC a very tempting choice,

A friend of mine made the argument to me that although GULC does not place as well in NYC, being that I will not have a mountain of debt facing me at the end of school, I will be able to take a NYC job that pays initially slightly less than what I would expect.

Does this make sense?
Graduating debt free will allow you to take any job that you want to take. And from a t14 with no debt you will certainly have options.

And we are talking about two lower t14 schools. Penn is better but not by a ton. If you couldn't get nyc biglaw from gulc its not that much more likely you would have gotten it from penn. Its not like we are talking about trying to break into doj honors or cravath only. nyc is not a ridiculous goal from any t14 school. I mean you still have to do well but yea

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu May 26, 2011 2:51 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:Thanks everyone for your votes and input.

Does this make sense?

I vote for GULC. However, I am not sure it is a whole lot easier to get a 140K job in NYC than it is to get a 160K job there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”