IU-B (15k/yr) vs. Tulane (22k/yr) HELP!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help

IUB @ 15k/yr.
20%
Tulane @ 20k/yr.
80%

Total votes: 30

blazer14

IU-B (15k/yr) vs. Tulane (22k/yr) HELP!!

Postby blazer14 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Hello everyone, I need some help in making a decision. I am a Texas resident and would like to practice in Austin or Miami and would maybe even consider San Antonio or Houston. IUB gave me a 75k scholarship over 3 years provided that I pay the out of state price and Tulane gave me a 60k scholarship over 3 years with a 3.0 GPA stipulation.

When it’s all said and done IUB would cost 15/yr. & Tulane 20k/yr. I want to practice Immigration Law, Employment Law, or Sports Law.

I had a chance to visit Tulane and I really enjoyed it and can definitely see myself going there. Plus there programs seem to be more compatible with my interests. I have not visited IUB, but it is the highest ranked law school I’ve gotten into so far and the tuition would be cheaper then Tulane’s.

Please help me decide which school to attend.

SOCRATiC

Re: IU-B (15k/yr) vs. Tulane (22k/yr) HELP!!

Postby SOCRATiC » Mon May 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Law schools are all the same. The special programs really don't matter and probably won't improve your chances at employment. Go to IUB.

pacers3177

Postby pacers3177 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 am

IUB may have jumped to a t25 school in the rankings, but it is still a regional school. If you wan to practice in the south, I'd stick to a southern school.

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Tue May 24, 2011 5:53 am

If this is the range of schools you have access to, and if you want to work in Texas, then you need to get into a Texas school.

blazer14

Postby blazer14 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:If this is the range of schools you have access to, and if you want to work in Texas, then you need to get into a Texas school.

I agree, although when comparing Tulane to SMU the latter does not have the same “national reach” as does the former. Plus I don’t know what kind of $ SMU would have for me. And I didn’t have any luck at UT.

Tulane seems to be getting a lot of love from the poll so far. Anyone care to offer specific advice as to why Tulane is a better choice for me then IUB?

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Tue May 24, 2011 11:46 pm

Well, going to IUB will save you 21k over three years, but if your priority is working down South, that seems to be a negligible difference in the long run. IUB will be OK for the Midwest, maybe DC or California with connections and good grades (so they say), but I never heard anyone talk about its ability to place all that well south of the Mason-Dixon. :) Tulane, I'd imagine (0L) will make it easier.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed May 25, 2011 12:59 am

Gideon Strumpet wrote:If this is the range of schools you have access to, and if you want to work in Texas, then you need to get into a Texas school.

Wrong. It's not necessary to get into a Texas-based school to secure Texas employment, although attending one gives you a great chance. OP's Texas employment prospects are as good coming out of Tulane as they are coming from any school other than a T14 or U-Texas, SMU or Houston.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed May 25, 2011 1:08 am

blazer14 wrote:

I agree, although when comparing Tulane to SMU the latter does not have the same “national reach” as does the former. Plus I don’t know what kind of $ SMU would have for me. And I didn’t have any luck at UT.

Tulane seems to be getting a lot of love from the poll so far. Anyone care to offer specific advice as to why Tulane is a better choice for me then IUB?

Tulane appears to be a poor man's Emory or Vandy. It's a top southern school with a wierd ability to place in far away markets like NY, D.C., Seattle, or even Cali. It's not "national" the way the T14's are and certainly not in the way HYS are. But it does seem to have this reputation extending from decades ago, even well before rankings came out, that puts it in its own category. Ask any attorney not familiar with the rankings, and some of them will suspect Tulane to be a top-20 school. I know this because my mother actually asked around with some of her attorney friends, who are now in their 50's and 60's. Every one of them thought Tulane was an elite school, one or two claimed it was "top-10".

Mind you, this group is people who are not familiar with the rankings we live off of today. So, Tulane has this long-standing reputation that belies its ranking. I imagine schools like Loyola and Temple also suffer in this way. Fact is, Robert Morse and USNWR don't even submit any real reputational surveys...and if they do, they don't send them out broadly enough by any stretch. I have met a lot of top judges (including federal and circuit judges); not one of them has ever received a reputational survey from USNWR. I find that very strange.

gjr8891

Postby gjr8891 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:39 am

pacers3177 wrote: If you wan't to practice in the south, I'd stick (with) a southern school.

I agree with this and I vote for Tulane.
BUT, IUB has a great program and hard work will get you into the Texas legal market coming from either of these schools.

blazer14

Postby blazer14 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:58 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. Feel free to continue posting and voting.

At this point I am still undecided, but I’m leaning towards Tulane. I know hard work pays off and I could perhaps get a job in the South coming out of IUB. However, it seems that route will be much more difficult than if I just go to Tulane. The question I need to think about next I suppose is if it is worth paying the extra cash in this economy to go to Tulane over IUB.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”