Buffalo vs. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chb462

Buffalo vs. Cardozo

Postby chb462 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Need some quick advice...

Buffalo (17k tuition)
vs.
Cardozo (sticker)

I live in the Buffalo area and want to get into entertainment law and eventually move to NYC. But the debt I would take on(Cardozo) versus the low cost of living in Buffalo is making this decision difficult. Is it worth to go to a school ranked 34 spots ahead of Buffalo if you have to pay full price? Any constructive insight would be appreciated. Thanks

tarp

Re: Buffalo vs. Cardozo

Postby tarp » Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 pm

That's an easy question. No, it is not worth it. Stay in Buffalo.

zanda

Postby zanda » Mon May 23, 2011 11:09 pm

tarp wrote:That's an easy question. No, it is not worth it. Stay in Buffalo.
I agree, but at either school OP has to realize he's not getting into "entertainment law."

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 pm

I wouldn't go to either.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 23, 2011 11:12 pm

Buffalo.

You have in state tuition, and you allready know the COL in Buffalo ( and if you want to, live at home and save more money). Plus, you dont have to worry about moving expenses, getting around the area, and you have a built in network of friends and family to help you get through the stressful period.

Cardozo is too expensive, and NYC living is also expensive. Plus, you have all of the added expenses of moving and the hassles of finding your way in a new city.

If you really want to end up in NYC- then do everything in your power to get WE in NYC. ( be it a summer internship, visiting student at a NYC school, or whatever). Saving money now increases your spending power later- and if you move to NYC it allows for a greater cushion for the difference in COL if you stay in Buffalo.

chb462

Postby chb462 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 am

zanda wrote:
I agree, but at either school OP has to realize he's not getting into "entertainment law."

Read the question I was asking and stop wasting everyones time. If you have nothing constructive to say, please stay off the forums.

quixotical

Postby quixotical » Tue May 24, 2011 1:23 am

chb462 wrote:
zanda wrote:

Read the question I was asking and stop wasting everyones time. If you have nothing constructive to say, please stay off the forums.

This is actually solid advice. No need to be snarky.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:30 am

zanda wrote:I agree, but at either school OP has to realize he's not getting into "entertainment law."

This is good advice OP.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:05 am

It is good advice but it could be put a bit more tactfully.

OP, UB is definitely your best bet here. And just to second what they are saying but to do so in a muted and qualified way, realize that entertainment law is a very difficult industry to crack no matter where you go to law school but especially from one that does not have a super reputation for it nor the prime location for it. Does this mean that you cannot get into the industry? Not all. Will it be highly unlikely? Yes. I say go for it, though. And you are correct to point out that this advice is irrelevant to choosing between UB and Cardozo, but this advice is relevant in general. I would go to UB realizing that you probably are not going to be able to have your dream job and being okay with living in Western NY doing small law for a while. If you are okay with this, then UB it is. If not, I recommend taking time off to boost your LSAT and perhaps moving to NYC and making some connections down there to help you later on.

Good luck!

(edited for grammar)

quixotical wrote:
chb462 wrote:
zanda wrote:

This is actually solid advice. No need to be snarky.

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Tue May 24, 2011 5:56 am

chb462 wrote:Is it worth to go to a school ranked 34 spots ahead of Buffalo if you have to pay full price?

No.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 24, 2011 7:52 am

You want to work in NYC. I wouldn't go to either. Also if you'd only be happy doing entertainment law, don't go to law school.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 pm

No, 34 spots in the USNWR rankings is not worth almost 100K in added expense.

Go to Buff, get a good job in your area, and then with that in your pocket try to network your way into something closer to your dream job.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 pm

It's more than a 100k in added expenses, because the COL by itself will probably be about 90k so plus the extra 25 a year it's about 160k more to go to Cardozo.

OP: your odds of entertainment law are pretty low, but if this is the only kind of law you want (a dangerous goal) - you should go to Cardozo, because it is much more respected than Buffalo, but nt so respected nonetheless.

I think it depends on a.) your connections and b.) how rich your family is. If your family is rich, and could bail you and maybe your family out if you struggle, then Cardozo enters the conversation. However, 200k plus in loans for Cardozo is very risky as you'll have to be in the top 10% to meet your career goals that won't pay more than 80-90k coming out which minus taxes and 2,400/month repayments will leave you with 25k to live with in Manhattan so the best case scenario will still suck for 10 years.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Tue May 24, 2011 8:50 pm

"Entertainment law" is really just contracts, which you will learn at every law school, Buffalo included. If you are interested in working as an agent, then consider an MBA instead of a JD. If you want to work in NY, and you did not get into Fordham or higher, then go for the cheaper of the two, which is UB by miles. You might have to pay your dues by working in Buffalo for a few years before trying to break into the NYC market, but it's probably better to be a real attorney in Buffalo than doing doc review in NYC.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:34 am

Case2L wrote:"Entertainment law" is really just contracts, which you will learn at every law school, Buffalo included. If you are interested in working as an agent, then consider an MBA instead of a JD. If you want to work in NY, and you did not get into Fordham or higher, then go for the cheaper of the two, which is UB by miles. You might have to pay your dues by working in Buffalo for a few years before trying to break into the NYC market, but it's probably better to be a real attorney in Buffalo than doing doc review in NYC.

Ari Gold got a JD.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”