18 Months Law School Program? Has anyone ever heard of this?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
divinelygolden

18 Months Law School Program? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Postby divinelygolden » Mon May 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was speaking with my aunt the other day and she stated that a young lady who attends her church would be attending an 18 month law school program with a full ride. Before speaking with her I had never heard of such thing and was wondering if anyone has. She could not give an accurate school name, but mentioned the school was southern something. I attempted to google GA Southern, but didn’t see such a program. So have you heard of a program? Its sounds pretty good if there is such with a reputable school.

glitter178

Re: 18 Months Law School Program? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Postby glitter178 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 pm

uhhhhhhhhh....
retake.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 pm

I think NU offers a 2-year program, and W&L has replaced 3L content with externships, but I dunno about anything else...

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Something like this in all likelihood. http://www.onlineeducationhub.com/online-degree/law or a paralegal program.

There is also this which would tie everything together: http://www.swlaw.edu/academics/jd/scale

Either way, seems like a bad idea.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 2:03 pm

bdubs wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_JD_program

These all essentially just put the JD courses into the UG curriculum, which isn't what I understood the OP to be asking about. (Unless OP is a high school senior, it wouldn't do him/her any good anyway.)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon May 23, 2011 2:04 pm

flcath wrote:

These all essentially just put the JD courses into the UG curriculum, which isn't what I understood the OP to be asking about. (Unless OP is a high school senior, it wouldn't do him/her any good anyway.)

Look at the bottom portion which lists the three 2 year accelerated JD programs (Northwestern, Southwestern, and U of Dayton)

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:05 pm

flcath wrote:

Scroll down. There are three schools that do two year JD programs.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 2:05 pm

bdubs wrote:
flcath wrote:

Look at the bottom portion which lists the three 2 year accelerated JD programs (Northwestern, Southwestern and U of Dayton)

Ah.

Then I'm in the "retake" boat. Sorry, OP.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:06 pm

flcath wrote:

A lot of them let you graduate a year early from undergrad and count your first year of law school as your last year of undergrad after which you could get your undergrad degree. UMD used to have it but apparently not anymore.

divinelygolden

Postby divinelygolden » Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi Thanks I already have a BA, so I would want a program that doesn't include UG. Thanks Everyone

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon May 23, 2011 2:20 pm

divinelygolden wrote:Hi Thanks I already have a BA, so I would want a program that doesn't include UG. Thanks Everyone

The northwestern program is pretty good if the time required to complete the degree is your primary concern. You get a T14 degree after about 21 months. You don't save a ton in tuition money though and you may have a harder time with employment through OCI.

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:29 pm

bdubs wrote:
divinelygolden wrote:Hi Thanks I already have a BA, so I would want a program that doesn't include UG. Thanks Everyone

The northwestern program is pretty good if the time required to complete the degree is your primary concern. You get a T14 degree after about 21 months. You don't save a ton in tuition money though and you may have a harder time with employment through OCI.

It's 24 months since you start in May, end in May. But you have about a years worth of living expenses. The difference in OCI is marginal.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon May 23, 2011 4:56 pm

ABA Standard 304:

"(c) A law school shall require that the course of study for the J.D. degree be completed no sooner than 24 months and not longer than 84 months after a student has commenced law study at the law school or a law school from which the school has accepted transfer credit."

So, the church friend cannot be involved with an ABA accredited school. This is very bad news if you ever want to actually practice law.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 pm

Or the acquaintance got the details wrong- likely I'd say since she couldn't remember the name of the school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”