San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School?

San Francisco
3
25%
Santa Clara
9
75%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
steviejanowski
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby steviejanowski » Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 pm

160 LSAT - 3.5 GPA

At San Fran I got 15K for my first year and I have heard that they will reward top students after year one with another.

At Santa Clara I got 7.5K a year.

I won't have an issue with debt after school so the scholly shouldn't play a huge factor.

I'm on the WL at Pepperdine, Houston (First Choice) and Cardozo but for now I'm counting on going to one of these schools. I'm leaning San Francisco now due to the location but I'm not sure how big of a difference there is with each school.

I'm open to practicing in San Francisco, Houston, Austin and New York after graduation.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby arvcondor » Tue May 24, 2011 7:23 am

Interested in this for some reason. Tag.

User avatar
bass08
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:54 am

Re: San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby bass08 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

I take it retake is not an option?

If it's between these two, I would choose Santa Clara. Both of these schools are way overpriced, especially given their poor placement (see stickied thread above) in an already saturated market. I would think about leaving the bay area instead of attending either one of these schools.

Also, if you do happen to attend either of them, it will be very difficult to try to find employment anywhere outside the bay area without prior contacts. Employment will likely be difficult regardless though. These schools are just too expensive and too stingy with scholarships to be worth your while.

edit: sorry, just noticed you won't have a huge issue with debt (so I assume parents are footing the bill). In that case, I'd still try to look elsewhere presuming you want good employment opportunities, but, failing that, I'd still say Santa Clara over USF.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:18 pm

These schools are really bad and it's not just because they're T2's. These are probably the two worst possible T2's you could attend. That isn't the schools' fault per se as it mainly has to do with the fact that CA (and specifically NorCal) has one of the worst legal economies in the country.

Only about 25% of the graduates of 2009 at either of these schools ended up getting full time jobs as lawyers (source: --LinkRemoved-- and --LinkRemoved--). These schools really are that bad and I probably wouldn't even recommend going to them on a full scholarship let alone taking out $150k-$200k in loans to pay for them.

You really should retake the LSAT and aim for better schools or get a larger scholarship. Since you are open to TX/NYC as well, I would recommend retaking/reapplying and if you must go to a T2, at least go to a T2 with a large scholarship in those areas rather than USF/SCU.

For reference, in 2009 60% of Houston grads got full time jobs as lawyers and even at St. John's which is one of the worst NYC T2's, 60% of 2009 grads got full time jobs as lawyers (source: --LinkRemoved-- and --LinkRemoved--). USF and SCU really are that bad. You shouldn't be paying a lot for T2 (or even most T1) schools, and you especially should not be paying a lot for these two as they really are the worst of the bunch.

User avatar
steviejanowski
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby steviejanowski » Thu May 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm hoping to get off the waitlist at one of the three schools and I'm open to retaking the LSAT if push comes to shove.

I actually wanted to retake but it just doesn't seem like an option as the moment as the people who are funding it don't want me having the down year.

I have a strong Houston connection so hopefully I can get off of that waitlist in the upcoming weeks.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby 071816 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:56 pm

Those are decent numbers for T2. Don't attend either of these schools for the reasons bk said. The top 25% stip at Santa Clara is brutal and I'm sure the USF scholly stips are brutal too. I feel like you could have gotten into some better schools.

Edit: How early in the cycle did you apply?

User avatar
steviejanowski
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby steviejanowski » Thu May 26, 2011 2:34 pm

chimp wrote:Those are decent numbers for T2. Don't attend either of these schools for the reasons bk said. The top 25% stip at Santa Clara is brutal and I'm sure the USF scholly stips are brutal too. I feel like you could have gotten into some better schools.

Edit: How early in the cycle did you apply?


Pretty late January actually. I really put it off regretfully. I'd really like to retake and shoot for a 170+ and attend UT-Austin but I'm not sure if those numbers are possible.

I got denied to ASU and Loyola which I thought I had a chance for at least a waitlist.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby 071816 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:38 pm

steviejanowski wrote:
chimp wrote:Those are decent numbers for T2. Don't attend either of these schools for the reasons bk said. The top 25% stip at Santa Clara is brutal and I'm sure the USF scholly stips are brutal too. I feel like you could have gotten into some better schools.

Edit: How early in the cycle did you apply?


Pretty late January actually. I really put it off regretfully. I'd really like to retake and shoot for a 170+ and attend UT-Austin but I'm not sure if those numbers are possible.

I got denied to ASU and Loyola which I thought I had a chance for at least a waitlist.


Yea I would retake and reapply early. At the very least, apply early next cycle. Good luck!

User avatar
steviejanowski
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: San Francisco vs. Santa Clara

Postby steviejanowski » Thu May 26, 2011 2:42 pm

chimp wrote:
steviejanowski wrote:
chimp wrote:Those are decent numbers for T2. Don't attend either of these schools for the reasons bk said. The top 25% stip at Santa Clara is brutal and I'm sure the USF scholly stips are brutal too. I feel like you could have gotten into some better schools.

Edit: How early in the cycle did you apply?


Pretty late January actually. I really put it off regretfully. I'd really like to retake and shoot for a 170+ and attend UT-Austin but I'm not sure if those numbers are possible.

I got denied to ASU and Loyola which I thought I had a chance for at least a waitlist.


Yea I would retake and reapply early. At the very least, apply early next cycle. Good luck!



Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to wait out these waitlists and if no luck then I'm leaning towards doing this.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests