Senator Boxer continues pressure on ABA to reform Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jenesaislaw

Silver

Senator Boxer continues pressure on ABA to reform

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri May 20, 2011 1:21 pm

In her latest letter, Senator Boxer points out that the ABA is off to a good start, but that more needs to be done.

Senator Boxer would like to see the ABA address:
* the auditing of law school data (noting that current proposals continue to allow self-reporting without auditing procedures);
* better regulation of how prospective students can access information, focusing primarily on how law schools advertise employment outcomes on their websites; and
* the need for more scholarship transparency.

Coverage:
Law School Transparency, --LinkRemoved--
The Faculty Lounge, http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2011/05 ... lease.html
National Law Journal, http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2494778309 (quotes by Observationalist)

PS, everybody say happy birthday to Observationalist!
Last edited by jenesaislaw on Fri May 20, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buckilaw

Silver

Re: Senator Boxer continues pressure on ABA to reform

Post by buckilaw » Fri May 20, 2011 1:24 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:In her latest letter, Senator Boxer points out that the ABA is off to a good start, but that more needs to be done.

* the auditing of law school data (noting that current proposals continue to allow self-reporting without auditing procedures);
* better regulation of how prospective students can access information, focusing primarily on how law schools advertise employment outcomes on their websites; and

Coverage:
Auditing would be a great step in the right direction.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Fri May 20, 2011 2:09 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:In her latest letter, Senator Boxer points out that the ABA is off to a good start, but that more needs to be done.

Coverage:

PS, everybody say happy birthday to Observationalist!
Wow. Boxer is actually doing something worthy of her title.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Happy bday observationalist, if you're reading this.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Fri May 20, 2011 2:12 pm

buckilaw wrote:Auditing would be a great step in the right direction.
+1.

Law schools are a bunch of liars. They don't care about anything but their tuition dollars that are paid upfront by the federal government in the form of student loans. Either reform the system with transparency and accountability, or get rid of the federal teat. I would prefer the latter.

The most amazing thing is that the ABA is still MIA. They keep meeting and chatting about these issues that reached the boiling point long ago. I say get rid of these useless crooks and find some other institution to actually regulate and oversee legal education.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 20, 2011 2:14 pm

scammedhard wrote:
+1.

Law schools are a bunch of liars. They don't care about anything but their tuition dollars that are paid upfront by the federal government in the form of student loans. Either reform the system with transparency and accountability, or get rid of the federal teat. I would prefer the latter.

The most amazing thing is that the ABA is still MIA. They keep meeting and chatting about these issues that reached the boiling point long ago. I say get rid of these useless crooks and find some other institution to actually regulate and oversee legal education.
Agreed.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri May 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Update: Stephen Zack, the ABA President, has responded: --LinkRemoved--

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri May 20, 2011 5:27 pm

While this doesn't change my opinion of her as a pale, dishonest, hackish imitation of the Diane Fienstein, I give her huge props for this.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 20, 2011 5:34 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:Update: Stephen Zack, the ABA President, has responded: --LinkRemoved--
Glad we heard from Stephen Zack, that toothless buffoon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Fri May 20, 2011 6:57 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:While this doesn't change my opinion of her as a pale, dishonest, hackish imitation of the Diane Fienstein, I give her huge props for this.
That's probably the most concise and accurate description of Boxer ever written.

Either way, hopefully this garners more attention for the cause. It's just too bad that a hack like Boxer is going to be the face of the inquiry.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue May 24, 2011 11:33 am

rad law wrote:
scammedhard wrote:
+1.

Agreed.
Just so I'm clear on this--you two want the federal teat gotten rid of? Why?

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue May 24, 2011 12:06 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
rad law wrote:
scammedhard wrote:
+1.

Agreed.
Just so I'm clear on this--you two want the federal teat gotten rid of? Why?
This is why:
http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/t ... will-burst

If the government teat were taken away then schools would have to fight to keep costs down, instead of overpaying professors because they know that the government is providing cheap cash that students can't repay.

It's the same scenario with the housing bubble and also one of the biggest reasons why health care is so expensive.

The government has created an artificially inflated market.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Could we please start addressing Mrs. Boxer as Senator Boxer? She worked hard for that title.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote: If the government teat were taken away then schools would have to fight to keep costs down, instead of overpaying professors because they know that the government is providing cheap cash that students can't repay.

It's the same scenario with the housing bubble and also one of the biggest reasons why health care is so expensive.

Pretty much this.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue May 24, 2011 1:11 pm

TheFactor wrote:Could we please start addressing Mrs. Boxer as Senator Boxer? She worked hard for that title.
lol

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Tue May 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote: If the government teat were taken away then schools would have to fight to keep costs down, instead of overpaying professors because they know that the government is providing cheap cash that students can't repay.

Pretty much this.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
TheFactor wrote:Could we please start addressing Mrs. Boxer as Senator Boxer? She worked hard for that title.
lol
I would rather not address her at all...Unless she gets in the ring with Manny Pacquiao. Then I will refer to her as whatever type of boxer she wants.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue May 24, 2011 2:11 pm

rad law wrote:
scammedhard wrote:
+1.

Agreed.
Great idea. Instead of the best and the brightest, we'll have whoever has parents wealthy enough to foot the bill.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Tue May 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Great idea. Instead of the best and the brightest, we'll have whoever has parents wealthy enough to foot the bill.
This assumes that the only source of funding is either parents or the government. Do you really believe that? If you do, then you are not correct.
The funding for my legal education will come from neither of those sources.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue May 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Capitol A wrote:
This assumes that the only source of funding is either parents or the government. Do you really believe that? If you do, then you are not correct.
Please, I'd love to hear some of these alternatives. Savings, but that's pretty unrealistic unless people are going to wait until their 40s before attending.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue May 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Capitol A wrote:
?

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
Please, I'd love to hear some of these alternatives. Savings, but that's pretty unrealistic unless people are going to wait until their 40s before attending.
merit scholarships.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue May 24, 2011 3:13 pm

glitter178 wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
merit scholarships.
Still doesn't really address my objection, because you're effectively saying people who are already disadvantaged from having less connections should also attend inferior schools (relative to their ability) due to cost.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Still doesn't really address my objection, because you're effectively saying people who are already disadvantaged from having less connections should also attend inferior schools (relative to their ability) due to cost.
/quote

i didn't post the original quote to which you're objecting, i only gave an example when you asked for one re: other sources of funding. however, i don't really understand what you're saying. can you clarify please?

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Tue May 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
I'm 29 and paying with savings.
There are also private loans available, and there would likely be more private loans available if gov't loans weren't so abundant. The government loans are so cheap and easy to come by that they practically encourage irresponsible, unsustainable lending for the financing of bad investments (see 'housing crisis'); and isn't that what this whole discussion really boils down to? How good/bad of investment is law school? If cutting off the gov't funding would make people look a little closer at the value of legal education, wouldn't that be a good thing? If private loans cause law school to be a bad investment for people who would otherwise be using gov't loans, why is it okay for them to make an un-wise investment with tax dollars?
Btw, your initial statement also implies that there is no cross over between the 2 groups you mention (best & brightest v. people with rich parents). This is obviously not true.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue May 24, 2011 3:23 pm

glitter178 wrote:Still doesn't really address my objection, because you're effectively saying people who are already disadvantaged from having less connections should also attend inferior schools (relative to their ability) due to cost.
/quote

i didn't post the original quote to which you're objecting, i only gave an example when you asked for one re: other sources of funding. however, i don't really understand what you're saying. can you clarify please?
The reason you're able to get the merit scholarship is because law school tuition is so wildly inflated that many other saps are playing full tuition (with federally supported loans). So while your source of payment is from merit scholarships, the source of payment from the merit scholarships is the loans. Get rid of the loans, the merit schollies would dry up as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”