What schools are worth sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
uzpakalis

Re: What schools are worth sticker?

Postby uzpakalis » Fri May 20, 2011 7:48 pm

beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote:
haus wrote:rad law,

I just noticed that your avatar may have just passed away.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... ll-player/

Tribute bro

Shit, I had no idea. That sucks, dude. And now I feel like part of my childhood just died. RIP Macho Man

Ultimate Warrior was better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEl_R0dTfY

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat May 21, 2011 4:59 am

aliarrow wrote:
Cupidity wrote:T-30 in your target market, T-10 out of market

This is probably the most reasonable and accurate answer I've seen.

With exceptions for insanely cheap sticker schools (UF, BYU if Mormon, etc).

But yeah, y'all just keep posting "Yale" or the ranking of the highest school you got into (ie T12) as if it's still funny. Whatev.

Did you just recommend going to UF at sticker? oh man.

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:56 am

I only skimmed this thread, so if this point has been made, I'm sorry:

Sticker worthiness is not only relative to one's debt adversity etc., but also to one's other options. If you apply broadly, you should have money at schools ranked not too far below w/e school you are considering at sticker. A lot of people seem to think there is some point in the T13/15 at which schools become worth sticker, but this just seems silly. There are cases where sticker is the way to go (for example, academia, Y>HS>CCN>everything else, and if you have to choose between money and sticker at a school higher in that hierarchy, you pay sticker). But by and large, I can't understand this rank driven obsession that gets people to turn down schollies in favor of paying sticker at a school ranked 5 positions higher. For the average nyc big law would-be, I can't even imagine H at sticker is better than Columbia with a strong scholly; more radically, for the big law guy, I'd go Cornell scholly over MVP, UChicago. Idk, maybe I'm not reading the data right, or maybe I'm unjustifiably debt adverse, but sticker is just unnecessary--seems like an imprudent thing that a bunch of rank obsessed 0Ls do so they can say they go to (insert school).

In short, unless you fluke into your reach and it blows all your other acceptances out of the water such that money cannot lure you away from your reach (since your next best acceptance w/ any money is really far down the list), think long and hard about sticker, anywhere.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Sat May 21, 2011 5:59 am

thecynic69 wrote:I only skimmed this thread, so if this point has been made, I'm sorry:

Sticker worthiness is not only relative to one's debt adversity etc., but also to one's other options. If you apply broadly, you should have money at schools ranked not too far below w/e school you are considering at sticker. A lot of people seem to think there is some point in the T13/15 at which schools become worth sticker, but this just seems silly. There are cases where sticker is the way to go (for example, academia, Y>HS>CCN>everything else, and if you have to choose between money and sticker at a school higher in that hierarchy, you pay sticker). But by and large, I can't understand this rank driven obsession that gets people to turn down schollies in favor of paying sticker at a school ranked 5 positions higher. For the average nyc big law would-be, I can't even imagine H at sticker is better than Columbia with a strong scholly; more radically, for the big law guy, I'd go Cornell scholly over MVP, UChicago. Idk, maybe I'm not reading the data right, or maybe I'm unjustifiably debt adverse, but sticker is just unnecessary--seems like an imprudent thing that a bunch of rank obsessed 0Ls do so they can say they go to (insert school).

In short, unless you fluke into your reach and it blows all your other acceptances out of the water such that money cannot lure you away from your reach (since your next best acceptance w/ any money is really far down the list), think long and hard about sticker, anywhere.

You'd understand a lot more if you had already come to terms with the hypocrisy of most TLSers tirades against rankings followed by their total obedience to them.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Sat May 21, 2011 11:02 am

Ok, but what if my only chance to break into the T14 (and consequently end up in DC, the market I want to practice in) is anED to GULC or UVA?

Sure, I could get some scholarships at schools near home like IUB and ND, but then I would be giving up almost on DC I feel like.

I want to think that GULC or UVA at sticker is a good decision for me, but that is A LOT of debt.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Sat May 21, 2011 11:10 am

Bobeo wrote:Ok, but what if my only chance to break into the T14 (and consequently end up in DC, the market I want to practice in) is anED to GULC or UVA?

Sure, I could get some scholarships at schools near home like IUB and ND, but then I would be giving up almost on DC I feel like.

I want to think that GULC or UVA at sticker is a good decision for me, but that is A LOT of debt.

For you, if you can get into gulc or uva, it seems clear that for dc, sticker there is a lot better than mid-western t30s. Whether you want PI, biglaw, or something else also makes a difference here. For someone who can get into uva or gulc, the real question becomes if those options are better than vanderbilt, gw, etc. with a good scholarship. And it would not be unreasonable to answer that question in the affirmative. It is short sited to think that 50 or 60k is going to make or break your career in the same sense that it is short sited to think that going to a t14 or a t20 will make or break your career. You just have to find the balance that you are comfortable with and the opportunities that you want. And of course, this is all relative to the other actual options that you find yourself with at the end of the cycle.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat May 21, 2011 11:29 am

arvcondor wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:I only skimmed this thread, so if this point has been made, I'm sorry:

You'd understand a lot more if you had already come to terms with the hypocrisy of most TLSers tirades against rankings followed by their total obedience to them.

I agree with this point to a point. However, rankings matter a lot in two cases:

1) You want to work in a particular region, and you can get into a school which vastly outranks the others in its region (T30 v. T2). You would be foolish to ignore the rankings because of an offered sub-specialty or faculty member.

2) If you want Biglaw, HYSCC and N in New York are the closest to a sure thing that you can get. I mean people do still strike out of these schools when the economy is bad, or because they are unable to interview well, but largely you are set up out of these schools. If you want Chicago and got into Chicago.

Outside of these two situations, I agree that people should not necessarily choose a school 5 spots higher in the rankings because it is 5 spots higher in the rankings. Texas can be a much better option for someone than Penn. Pacific Mcgeorge can be a much better option for someone than UC Irvine.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Sat May 21, 2011 11:38 am

rad law wrote:Image

ENJOY

oh yeaaaaaah.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:30 pm

In state tuition at flagship state u isnt really a bad choice, imo

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 21, 2011 12:35 pm

HYS are definitely worth sticker. CCN probably are. I'd argue the rest of the T14 also are. After that, it gets risky, even with the economy improving as it has.

I'd also note that there isn't a big difference between CCN and the rest of the T14 in terms of security. Bottom third is in good shape only at HYS; they're in pretty big trouble everywhere else. Where CCN has an edge is in the types of jobs top-half people can get. Top 1/3 at CCN will get you looks from the V10 while top 15-20% is necessary lower down.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”