Things just got shaken up and I am LOST (in a good way) Help

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which to choose?

Notre Dame paying 24K per year in tuition + (2K p/y) for travel
65%
Wake Forest paying 9K per year in tuition
10%
W&M paying 14,200 a year in tuition
25%

Total votes: 20

parttime7

Things just got shaken up and I am LOST (in a good way) Help

Postby parttime7 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Alright, planned on attending Wake Forest after my $$ was upped a week ago to 30K p/y. I found a roommate and had an apartment locked in. Now, Notre Dame has accepted me with a 20K p/y scholarship and W&M has accepted me with a 22K a year scholarship. I visited ND last fall and loved the school and atmosphere, however, it is a bit expensive. I am hoping to visit W&M next week. I visited Wake and liked the school and setting as well.

Not sure where I want to practice yet. I like the East Coast and DC a lot, however, I am open. I would like BIGLAW to start and it seems that ND offers an 8% higher chance for this. I would like to clerk after school (a VERY good family friend said I have a good chance to clerk with him (Art III judge in Pennsylvania))

monarchylover

Re: Things just got shaken up and I am LOST (in a good way) Help

Postby monarchylover » Thu May 19, 2011 7:12 pm

ask the family friend where he would go and pucker

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu May 19, 2011 9:47 pm

I would probably go to ND, but I would ask this family friend if he can offer you a judicial internship for your 1L summer...like right now.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu May 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Take the job out of the equation for a second. Where do you want to go to school? which school fits your requirements the best? Where are you the most comfortable at?

Talk to the job and see what the stips are to keep it. If its a good family friend, and you have the job regardless of where you go to school- then go to the one that fits you the best. If the job requires you to go to a particular school- then get the offer in writing, and go there.

parttime7

Postby parttime7 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Anyone have any more info?

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 pm

ND, and please don't look back. Everyone knows ND, everyone. You will be able to get a job, thanks to the ND network, somewhere after graduation. I am from the Midwest and had never even heard of Wake Forest (lake forest?) or W & M (who? where?) before applying to law schools. I imagine the farther west you go, this is compounded. 24k a year for ND is a good deal IMO. That is around state school tuition in many states. Plus the 2k in travel expenses is pretty cool. Sure Wake is cheaper, but at the end of the day, do you want you name on a piece of paper with ND or WF/W&M above it?
Last edited by uzpakalis on Fri May 20, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 pm

uzpakalis wrote:ND, and please don't look back. Everyone knows ND, everyone. You will be able to get a job, thanks to the ND network, somewhere after graduation. I am from the Midwest and had never even heard of Wake Forest (lake forest?) or W & M (who? where?) before applying to law schools. I imagine the farther west you go, this is compounded. 24k a year for ND is a good deal IMO. That is around state school tuition in many states. Plus the 2k in travel expenses is pretty cool. Sure what is cheaper, but at the end of the day, do you want you name on a piece of paper with ND or WF above it?

Lol what. ND is huge in the midwest (esp among Catholics), much less so elsewhere. Wake Forest and W&M are big in the East Coast. Regional prestige.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri May 20, 2011 12:38 pm

uzpakalis wrote:ND, and please don't look back. Everyone knows ND, everyone. You will be able to get a job, thanks to the ND network, somewhere after graduation. I am from the Midwest and had never even heard of Wake Forest (lake forest?) or W & M (who? where?) before applying to law schools. I imagine the farther west you go, this is compounded. 24k a year for ND is a good deal IMO. That is around state school tuition in many states. Plus the 2k in travel expenses is pretty cool. Sure what is cheaper, but at the end of the day, do you want you name on a piece of paper with ND or WF above it?

This post is stupid. For one thing, both William and Mary and Wake Forest have good name recognition (Tim Duncan in the 90s, anyone?). Even if more people have heard of Notre Dame, however, that increase in name recognition will not help OP find a job outside of the areas where Notre Dame traditionally places.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Fri May 20, 2011 12:39 pm

czelede wrote:

Lol what. ND is huge in the midwest (esp among Catholics), much less so elsewhere. Wake Forest and W&M are big in the East Coast. Regional prestige.

ND does incredibly well out west. Also, ND sports is huge, and leads to greater recognition throughout the country. It's very similar to Duke in a way, everyone has at least heard of Duke because of their BBall team.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Fri May 20, 2011 1:57 pm

johnnyutah wrote:This post is stupid. For one thing, both William and Mary and Wake Forest have good name recognition (Tim Duncan in the 90s, anyone?). Even if more people have heard of Notre Dame, however, that increase in name recognition will not help OP find a job outside of the areas where Notre Dame traditionally places.

Literally the only reason I have heard of Wake Forest.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”