Chicago or GULC?????

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UChicago or GULC??

UChicago
91%
GULC
9%

Total votes: 22

Name

Chicago or GULC?????

Postby Name » Thu May 19, 2011 5:04 pm

I need help! I have until next Thursday to decide whether to accept Chicago's offer, though I am already registered with GULC. I know Chicago is ranked higher but isn't it a super intense place, without any social life?

I do not think I want to spend three years doing nothing but studying in Hyde Park. Also, I do not really want to be surrounded by super serious studiers. I know law school is not exactly a relaxed environment but I rather not make it more stressful than necessary.

Another thing to consider is what I want to do after law school. Optimally I would want a judicial clerkship, but as those are rather rare, I would probably do some sort of government or public interest job. I know GULC is great in that department, whereas I know Chicago's expertise is in Corporate law and firm jobs--not really what I am interested in as of now. I am from NY and plan on returning there after law school, whether it be GULC or Chicago--which would give me a better chance of finding work in NY. I would think Chicago, but is the difference enough for it to warrant me choosing Chicago over GULC.

I am sure Chicago is a better city in DC, but the law school isn't really in Chicago--it is on the outskirts-- and I hear students never venture out of the library anyway...

Chicago does have amazing professors and supposedly they actually have relationships with the students which is a big plus, but I am nervous I will be miserable for 3 years, or end up transferring to a worse school just to get away.

Which should I choose?
Last edited by Name on Sat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dpk711

Re: Chicago or GULC?????

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Unequivocally Chicago.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 pm

If at all possible visit Chicago. The next best thing would be to talk to some current Chicago students. If you can dispell your aversion to Chicago, I'd say go there. If you can't dispell your aversion, go to Chicago anyway, it's a big city, I'm sure you can find some way to pass the time that is agreeable to you.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Assuming you don't get a federal clerkship, what's more important to you: being in NY or working in PI/Gov? GULC offers great Pi/Gov opportunities, but I don't know how much those extend outside of DC. If you would prefer PI/Gov in DC to private practice anywhere else, then GULC might deserve some consideration. For anything else, Chicago is probably a better choice. Like others have said, visit Chicago if you can then make a decision.

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Thu May 19, 2011 5:22 pm

This is not a question. Also, start a poll.
Last edited by Gideon Strumpet on Thu May 19, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 19, 2011 5:24 pm

If there is no scholly at GULC, I would choose Chicago over that bloated ass "Law Center."

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Name wrote:I need help! I have until next Thursday to decide whether to accept Chicago's offer, though I am already registered with GULC. I know Chicago is ranked higher but isn't it a super intense place, without any social life?

I do not think I want to spend three years doing nothing but studying in Hyde Park. Also, I do not really want to be surrounded by super serious studiers. I know law school is not exactly a relaxed environment but I rather not make it more stressful than necessary.

LOLno.

Is GULC at sticker?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu May 19, 2011 5:25 pm

I turned down Chicago for a big scholarship in the T25. So far it seems like the right choice. I didn't like the vibe or the people at chicago when I went to visit. Had no intention of practicng in chicago or anywhere else in the midwest, and had no paricular goal that made chicago necessary. For me, that was the right choice. Depends on what your goals are. If the schools are the same price, then Chicago. But im guessing GULC gave you scholarahip

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:32 pm

U Chicago is objectively awful, but they do a lot better at placing people into good jobs than Gtown Lawl Center.

Unless Gtown is offering 20k/year min. you should go to UChicago.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu May 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Do you really need to ask? Chicago.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Thu May 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Wow. I almost think OP is trolling. Hard to believe someone is so ready to believe everything negative they hear while simultaneously dismissing everything positive (In the "outskirts" of chicago? Really?).

Desert Fox: I don't think that the "awfulness" you speak of is objective. On objective things, it is outstanding. The subjective things seem to dissuade people - the feeling of competitiveness, etc. Certainly, Chicago can be some people's cup of tea. On social things, though, I'd think most lawschools are pretty bad, even if some are worse than others.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 pm

The Brainalist wrote:On social things, though, I'd think most lawschools are pretty bad, even if some are worse than others.

NU is not bad on social things. Actually one of the few things it's good at.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:47 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Wow. I almost think OP is trolling. Hard to believe someone is so ready to believe everything negative they hear while simultaneously dismissing everything positive (In the "outskirts" of chicago? Really?).

Desert Fox: I don't think that the "awfulness" you speak of is objective. On objective things, it is outstanding. The subjective things seem to dissuade people - the feeling of competitiveness, etc. Certainly, Chicago can be some people's cup of tea. On social things, though, I'd think most lawschools are pretty bad, even if some are worse than others.

:::Goes to Uchi
:::Rides to bar review on a short bus and plays tabletop card games in a dance bar
:::Claims to be just as normal as other schools

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu May 19, 2011 5:48 pm

If I weren't on the Chicago waitlist, I'd tell you to take Chicago in a heartbeat. Since I want as many spots to open up at Chicago as possible, I'm recommending GULC. :mrgreen:

But seriously, go to Chicago unless GULC offers you some substantial money.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:On social things, though, I'd think most lawschools are pretty bad, even if some are worse than others.

NU is not bad on social things. Actually one of the few things it's good at.

People are too old to be catty about who is fucking who. Except me and BJS who are totes jeally of our friend Equus.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Thu May 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:Wow. I almost think OP is trolling. Hard to believe someone is so ready to believe everything negative they hear while simultaneously dismissing everything positive (In the "outskirts" of chicago? Really?).

:::Rides to bar review on a short bus and plays tabletop card games in a dance bar

Some people are into that. I'm just saying, whatever floats their boat. Subjective. For being so mature at Northwestern, easy to be shit-talker, isn't it?

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:16 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Some people are into that. I'm just saying, whatever floats their boat. Subjective. For being so mature at Northwestern, easy to be shit-talker, isn't it?

It's a joke. Sorry I offended your aspergers.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Thu May 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote::::Goes to Uchi

Some people are into that. I'm just saying, whatever floats their boat. Subjective. For being so mature at Northwestern, easy to be shit-talker, isn't it?[/quote]

It's a joke. Sorry I offended your aspergers.[/quote]

Don't worry, my aspergers will survive.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu May 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Go to Obama High.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu May 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Name wrote:I need help! I have until next Thursday to decide whether to accept Chicago's offer, though I am already registered with GULC.I know Chicago is ranked higher but isn't it a super intense place, without any social life?
Another thing to consider is what I want to do after law school. Optimally I would want a judicial clerkship, but as those are rather rare, I would probably do some sort of government or public interest job. I know GULC is great in that department, whereas I know Chicago's expertise is in Corporate law and firm jobs--not really what I am interested in as of now. I am from NY and plan on returning there after law school, whether it be GULC or Chicago--which would give me a better chance of finding work in NY. I would think Chicago, but is the difference enough for it to warrant me choosing Chicago over GULC.

I am sure Chicago is a better city in DC, but the law school isn't really in Chicago--it is on the outskirts-- and I hear students never venture out of the library anyway...

Chicago does have amazing professors and supposedly they actually have relationships with the students which is a big plus, but
I am nervous I will be miserable for 3 years, or end up transferring to a worse school just to get away.
Which should I choose?

The objective answer is Chicago
The subjective answer is GULC
Go to GULC...

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu May 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
Name wrote:I need help! I have until next Thursday to decide whether to accept Chicago's offer, though I am already registered with GULC.I know Chicago is ranked higher but isn't it a super intense place, without any social life?

Chicago does have amazing professors and supposedly they actually have relationships with the students which is a big plus, but
I am nervous I will be miserable for 3 years, or end up transferring to a worse school just to get away.
Which should I choose?

The objective answer is Chicago
The subjective answer is GULC
Go to GULC...

Subjectivity is for the lulz.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 19, 2011 7:11 pm

I am far too busy studying to read any of this thread, but I'd like to complain that I can't go to the library anymore due to the large amount of sleeping bags on the ground. It is too difficult to maneuver.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu May 19, 2011 7:12 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I am far too busy studying to read any of this thread, but I'd like to complain that I can't go to the library anymore due to the large amount of sleeping bags on the ground. It is too difficult to maneuver.

Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if you weren't so GREEN.

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Thu May 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Still waiting for the poll.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:Still waiting for the poll.

These polls are useless.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”