USC worth the price?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is USC worth ~150k?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 73

jonillson

Re: USC worth the price?

Postby jonillson » Fri May 20, 2011 10:28 am

OP: What are your numbers? Have you considered retake/reapply?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 20, 2011 10:30 am

tothePAIN wrote:I'm attending USC next year. Received 30k per year. Have some saving and a relative who will let me live with them in LA.

Total COA, ~75k, total debt ~ 35k.

In my opinion, USC is worth it at that point.

Absolutely agree.

bisonpower27

Postby bisonpower27 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:58 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Well, it's free living. That's worth about 60k. If you had a 60k scholarship, this thread wouldn't be so opposed to USC.

USC at sticker is a better call than Loyola Marymount on a full ride if you want big law and/or a law job.

See that's kind of how I'm viewing it. I'm taking 60k or so off the COA. However, the risk is still large and it's not a comfortable feeling.

jonillson wrote:OP: What are your numbers? Have you considered retake/reapply?

This year is actually my second cycle. I retook/reapplied and scored much higher on the LSAT this time around. First time around I didn't fully commit myself to studying. My numbers are GPA slightly above median and LSAT slightly below (avoiding posting actual numbers since I'm in an appeal with the FAO right now). USC was a reach for me and I was lucky to get in. I considered retaking in June but according to LSN even if I were to improve to 170+ (unlikely since my highest PT was 168) I wouldn't get more than 10k a year. I know that 30k + interest saved is huge but to me I don't know that it's worth me delaying law school another year. So while I'm a huge fan of retake/reapply since it worked for me so well the first time around, I don't know how much it would help me this time.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions so far..

Edit: Just noticed how close the poll results have become. Damn.

bisonpower27

Postby bisonpower27 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 am

In case anyone cares I'm strongly considering retake/reapply (again). I've been running the numbers and at $150k I'm looking at close to $20k in interest during the three years in school in addition to my minimal undergrad debt (<$10k) so by the time I get out of school it would be around $180k in the principal balance of my loan. If I strike out on big law I'm looking at lower paying small firm work that would make paying off my loans nearly impossible. I'm also not interested enough in gov't work to take advantage of USC's LRAP (it seems to be fairly mediocre as well). If I work another year I would have over $20k saved for school and with a new shiny LSAT score (hopefully around 170) I think I could have some decent scholarship opportunities. I was PT'ing around 168 before I took the test and I think using the self-study techniques on TLS I could break 170.

tl;dr: My GPA is 3.65 and as of now my LSAT score is 166. Is retake/reapply the right move here or would I just be delaying attending without significantly improving my prospects? (I understand this is hypothetical since I haven't actually improved my score).. Please humor me and tell me what you think.. Thanks

edit: I should also note that I didn't apply using the blanket technique. I discovered TLS after I applied so if I reapplied I'd definitely make use of that strategy to help with scholarship negotiation.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:41 am

1.retake
2. get over a 170
3. get a scholarship

sounds like a good plan

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:02 pm

shoeshine wrote:1.retake
2. get over a 170
3. get a scholarship

sounds like a good plan

it's hard to get a huge scholarship if you're not over both medians.

bisonpower27

Postby bisonpower27 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:09 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:1.retake
2. get over a 170
3. get a scholarship

sounds like a good plan

it's hard to get a huge scholarship if you're not over both medians.

True but after looking at LSN I might be able to get around 15k a year which combined with my savings reduces my total COA around 70k when you factor in interest saved. Of course all of this is based on the premise that I actually increase my LSAT score by 4 points or so.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”