No idea where to apply.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tspence13

No idea where to apply.

Postby tspence13 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Last edited by tspence13 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFactor

Re: No idea where to apply.

Postby TheFactor » Thu May 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Apply from 4-18 and collect some dough.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

TheFactor wrote:Apply from 4-18 and collect some dough.

+1
Also, Michigan is apparently gunning to be on the forefront of LGBT legal issues and Dean Z is super LGBT friendly. So I'd recommend Mich in particular.

tspence13

Postby tspence13 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:56 pm

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 19, 2011 1:59 pm

tspence13 wrote:Also, should I apply ED to anywhere?

If you have a strong preference for one of CCN then I'd say ED.. other than that enjoy money from 7-14

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:00 pm

i'd apply hys just for fun too. unless the cpplication fee is uncomfy for you! :)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 19, 2011 2:03 pm

tspence13 wrote:I want to do Civil Rights law, specifically pertaining to LGBT issues.

Not a lot of lawyers actually do this, at least not in a big-picture way. If you're not cool with possibly not getting a job in this field, then don't go. There are jobs in the employment-discrimination side of things, but you're probably not really going to do LGBT law.

bayarea

Postby bayarea » Thu May 19, 2011 2:10 pm

plenty of lgbt people need lawyers. But if you want to get into big picture policy work that's going to be challenging - i'm betting anyway.

tspence13

Postby tspence13 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 19, 2011 2:15 pm

tspence13 wrote:
rad law wrote: Not a lot of lawyers actually do this, at least not in a big-picture way. If you're not cool with possibly not getting a job in this field, then don't go. There are jobs in the employment-discrimination side of things, but you're probably not really going to do LGBT law.

See though, this is why I need to find the best possible program for me. LGBT issues are my passion and I don't know if I could do anything else with as much zeal. So ideally I would like to find a program that educates me best towards practicing this kind of law as well as helps me make the job connections that I need.

I think what you really want to do is get involved on the hill or with lobbying. There aren't really any programs that actually will do what you want them to to.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 19, 2011 2:22 pm

tspence13 wrote:See though, this is why I need to find the best possible program for me. LGBT issues are my passion and I don't know if I could do anything else with as much zeal. So ideally I would like to find a program that educates me best towards practicing this kind of law as well as helps me make the job connections that I need.

What are the "issues" you want to work on? If you mean gay marriage, you're shit out of luck - that ship has sailed already. If you mean 8th Amendment issues involving incarcerated trans people, then you'll have a better shot, but likely have to just get yourself involved without too much support from the school. The reason why is that many of these LGBT issues don't get much attention and there really isn't a national campaign in place to address them.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu May 19, 2011 2:27 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
tspence13 wrote:See though, this is why I need to find the best possible program for me. LGBT issues are my passion and I don't know if I could do anything else with as much zeal. So ideally I would like to find a program that educates me best towards practicing this kind of law as well as helps me make the job connections that I need.

What are the "issues" you want to work on? If you mean gay marriage, you're shit out of luck - that ship has sailed already. If you mean 8th Amendment issues involving incarcerated trans people, then you'll have a better shot, but likely have to just get yourself involved without too much support from the school. The reason why is that many of these LGBT issues don't get much attention and there really isn't a national campaign in place to address them.

Solution = OP, work in San Francisco post law school

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Thu May 19, 2011 2:51 pm

If you're not t-14 or bust, UCLA might be a good fit for you. You'd most likely get a solid scholarship offer and their Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law seems really impressive. You will definitely get into higher ranked schools (which might be the best option if you want prestigious PI work in civil rights), but just something to think about.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”