Suffolk vs Northeastern vs Hofstra vs Penn State vs UConn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RebelRebel

Suffolk vs Northeastern vs Hofstra vs Penn State vs UConn

Postby RebelRebel » Thu May 19, 2011 11:19 am

All the haters that have T14 or bust as advice, please abstain.

Canadian, 3.08/163 most enticed by the Boston area. Also considering Vermont, Maine and NH...

I gather that with my numbers, all these schools should be feasible if I send applications early enough and they are well tailored to the school. Yes the US has too many lawyers, yes prospects are dismal, yes I would be undertaking huge debts.

However
- I am underemployed and my opportunity cost of attending law school in nil
- LS applications seem to be on the decline perhaps increasing my chances
- MOST IMPORTANTLY - I do not want to spend the rest of my life wondering WHAT IF?

I have no UG debt but am very debt averse given that any loans for LS would have to be taken from a bank. I gather that the best three options for the area are Suffolk, Northeastern and UConn.
Northeastern is the school that interests me the most, however it would probably be the most expensive where as I could probably secure some money at Suffolk and potentially achieve resident status at UConn, so where to my TLSers?

Law Sauce

Re: Suffolk vs Northeastern vs Hofstra vs Penn State vs UConn

Postby Law Sauce » Thu May 19, 2011 11:32 am

RebelRebel wrote:All the haters that have T14 or bust as advice, please abstain.

Canadian, 3.08/163 most enticed by the Boston area. Also considering Vermont, Maine and NH...

I gather that with my numbers, all these schools should be feasible if I send applications early enough and they are well tailored to the school. Yes the US has too many lawyers, yes prospects are dismal, yes I would be undertaking huge debts.

However
- I am underemployed and my opportunity cost of attending law school in nil
- LS applications seem to be on the decline perhaps increasing my chances
- MOST IMPORTANTLY - I do not want to spend the rest of my life wondering WHAT IF?

I have no UG debt but am very debt averse given that any loans for LS would have to be taken from a bank. I gather that the best three options for the area are Suffolk, Northeastern and UConn.
Northeastern is the school that interests me the most, however it would probably be the most expensive where as I could probably secure some money at Suffolk and potentially achieve resident status at UConn, so where to my TLSers?

I certainly do not disagree with your decision to go to law school like you seem worried that tlser might be. Going to law school is a highly personal decision and so is picking the school that you go to.

But I would like to say that if "MOST IMPORTANTLY - I do not want to spend the rest of my life wondering WHAT IF?" You definitely should take the time you have between now and the fall to study as hard as you can and take the LSAT in June and in October to maximize your score potential and give yourself the best choices next cycle. If you have already taken it three+ times than fine. Otherwise, you have nothing to lose, there is no reason no to keep trying to do better. You have until next year anyway.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 am

Have you ever been to Penn State? If you want an urban environment in your life, you don't want to go to Penn State. The degree won't place you in any cities and you'll be stuck in backwater PA.

You should see what kind of money you can get from Suffolk and Northeastern and you should try to tak the LSAT again. I know you said you don't want to hear "retake for T-14", but a few more points could get you some money from Suffolk and Northeastern.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Thu May 19, 2011 11:54 am

Uconn in-state seems to be the best bet for the areas you mentioned, I would try to get a higher lsat score to increase your chances of getting in. No way with suffolk. Northeastern is full of liberals. But with your willingness to take on so much debt that may work for you.

RebelRebel

Postby RebelRebel » Thu May 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks guys for more constructive advice than one normally gets here.

- I have no interest in PA, but the brand equity of PennState though meaningless in law circles was a bit more enticing

- With regards to liberals, it doesn't bother me (I am Canadian after all... )

- Retaking is an option that I dread - I am convinced that with adequate studying I can crack 170. Conventional wisdom would have people answer that at least 97.4% of the people think so but are mistaken :) However I have great respect for the LSAT and have finally understood it from the inside out. However, I have maxed out my 3 attempts in two years. Another issue that puzzles me is how taking the LSAT 4 or even 5 times is looked upon? All things being equal, with a 170 after 4 attempts look better than an applicant who scored 168-169 on his first attempt?

- Finally Suffolk was a consideration ONLY for financial reasons, it's relative placement in the Boston area for small-medium law and because I have a sinister plan of transferring up (though so does everyone that goes there and I know that one shouldn't go to a law school one does not want to graduate from). If I've already opened myself up for criticism, does anyone know what class rank it would take to transfer to BC or BU from Suffolk? Dreaming is free...

jigalion

Postby jigalion » Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 pm

RebelRebel wrote:I have no interest in PA, but the brand equity of PennState though meaningless in law circles was a bit more enticing

If you don't want to live in PA then PSU is out. With your numbers UConn is likely out as well; unless you apply for the PT program.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu May 19, 2011 1:52 pm

paratactical wrote:Have you ever been to Penn State? If you want an urban environment in your life, you don't want to go to Penn State. The degree won't place you in any cities and you'll be stuck in backwater PA.

You're forgetting the booming metropolises of Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster!

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu May 19, 2011 2:08 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
paratactical wrote:Have you ever been to Penn State? If you want an urban environment in your life, you don't want to go to Penn State. The degree won't place you in any cities and you'll be stuck in backwater PA.

Harrisburg and Lancaster are dominated by Philly rejects, jabroni.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Probably go with Northeastern in this situation.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu May 19, 2011 5:40 pm

paratactical wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Harrisburg and Lancaster are dominated by Philly rejects, jabroni.

What's York dominated by... just plain rejects?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”