NYLS/St. John/Quinnipiac

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
klevy

NYLS/St. John/Quinnipiac

Postby klevy » Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Tis the season for "which school should I go to?" threads. So here's my dilemma: I've gotten into New York Law School, Quinnipiac, and St. John's. I received no scholarships. (In before "re-take the LSAT") My GPA was 2.7, and my LSAT was 163, so I don't think re-taking the LSAT is going to greatly improve my chances of getting into higher ranked law schools. I think it would be fun to go to school in NYC, but it would certainly be nice to live near Quinnipiac (it's a beautiful area). Opinions?

MrPapagiorgio

Re: NYLS/St. John/Quinnipiac

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 pm

klevy wrote:(In before "re-take the LSAT") My GPA was 2.7, and my LSAT was 163, so I don't think re-taking the LSAT is going to greatly improve my chances of getting into higher ranked law schools.

This is very, very wrong.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:19 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
klevy wrote:(In before "re-take the LSAT") My GPA was 2.7, and my LSAT was 163, so I don't think re-taking the LSAT is going to greatly improve my chances of getting into higher ranked law schools.

This is very, very wrong.

This. Just raising your score 5 points means you're some of the T20 territory. Also, please don't go to any of these schools.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed May 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Step back from the ledge. Slowly now...

klevy

Postby klevy » Wed May 18, 2011 11:38 pm

My LSAT score was above the 75th percentile for all three of those schools. My GPA was the limiting factor, I feel, and improving my LSAT will only further emphasize the discrepancy.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 18, 2011 11:43 pm

klevy wrote:My LSAT score was above the 75th percentile for all three of those schools. My GPA was the limiting factor, I feel, and improving my LSAT will only further emphasize the discrepancy.

SUCO

Postby SUCO » Wed May 18, 2011 11:45 pm

klevy wrote:My LSAT score was above the 75th percentile for all three of those schools. My GPA was the limiting factor, I feel, and improving my LSAT will only further emphasize the discrepancy.

noooooooooooooooooo

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:48 pm

What kind of logic is this? As a splitter myself I can tell you for some schools a high LSAT score can neutralize a lower GPA.

klevy

Postby klevy » Wed May 18, 2011 11:48 pm

I graduated with a poor GPA, and an ok LSAT score. I've worked in a small law office for about three years now, and I know the practical side of law very well (in certain areas of practice at least) and am aware of what I am getting myself into.

Now, it is school time. Internet, choose my doom.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 18, 2011 11:53 pm

klevy wrote:I graduated with a poor GPA, and an ok LSAT score. I've worked in a small law office for about three years now, and I know the practical side of law very well (in certain areas of practice at least) and am aware of what I am getting myself into.

No, you don't. At full scholarship with little to no stipulations, I wouldn't hate St. Johns or QU. And like dpk said, splitter-friendly schools can look past a poor GPA. And with your work experience, Northwestern is possible if you retake and get that LSAT at 172 or higher.

Final point: nobody, and I mean nobody, on this website will tell you to attend any of those schools at sticker.

Bramwell

Postby Bramwell » Thu May 19, 2011 12:54 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Final point: nobody, and I mean nobody, on this website will tell you to attend any of those schools at sticker.

+1

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Thu May 19, 2011 8:46 am

Flame

zanda

Postby zanda » Thu May 19, 2011 10:39 am

If you decide to study for a retake, the quoted post is a good place to start.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 19, 2011 10:44 am

klevy wrote:I graduated with a poor GPA, and an ok LSAT score. I've worked in a small law office for about three years now, and I know the practical side of law very well (in certain areas of practice at least) and am aware of what I am getting myself into.

Yes, going to any of these schools at those prices would indeed doom you to unemployment, or, if you're lucky, indentured servitude.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”