Chicago-Kent $$ v. U Maryland v. Waitlists v. Retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Home/Scholly versus Rank

Kent
79%
Maryland
21%

Total votes: 19

TurkeyDay

Chicago-Kent $$ v. U Maryland v. Waitlists v. Retake

Postby TurkeyDay » Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Leaning more and more towards practicing law in Chicago and living here (from a Chicago suburb.)

161/3.61

Have a full tuition merit scholarship for my first year at Kent, and then (contingent on a 3.25 GPA), half tuition 2L and half tuition 3L. (This means that best case I have about $80,000 scholarship for three years, and in the worst case scenario - if I didn't make grade stipulations - I'd have $40,000.)

Also deposited at University of Maryland - no scholarships. No major ties to Baltimore, but many friends and a little networking in DC. (I interned there for a summer during undergrad.)

I'm on wait lists at Wake Forest, Iowa, Minnesota, William and Mary, and Washington & Lee. Out of those, I think my best possible chances are Iowa and Wake.

I'm registered to retake LSAT in June mainly to see if I could bump myself off waitlists with a higher score. Would rather not take a year off, but if I do substantially better, it is an option.

Still, I'm leaning towards Kent. I'm not sure if this is out of pure Chicago nostalgia or what, but I'm wondering what others think. In the worst case scenario, I do worse on the LSAT, am off no waitlists, and have to choose between Kent and Maryland. Is UMD's higher rank worth the full tuition as opposed to the scholly at Kent?

Thoughts?

aknecht

Re: Chicago-Kent $$ v. U Maryland v. Waitlists v. Retake

Postby aknecht » Wed May 18, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm heavily biased towards Chicago (as you can tell by my avatar). You need to decide where you want to practice b/c both schools will most likely place you in that market (MD maybe in DC as well). I live in DC now and specifically wanted to get out of here and go back to Chicago, hence my choice to go to Kent. I don't want to be tied to the federal job market in DC and I just don't like it here.

As others on here will tell you, scholarships from Kent are notoriously difficult to keep in the full amount. Just an FYI.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Wed May 18, 2011 9:15 pm

TurkeyDay wrote: Is UMD's higher rank worth the full tuition as opposed to the scholly at Kent?

No. in this economy, the less debt the better.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Fri May 20, 2011 7:02 am

I can't cast a vote for or against Kent, but I can cast one against UMD at sticker.

edit: Are you totally committed to Chicago? My sense is that it's a somewhat risky market coming from Kent since it's a target for so many and is surrounded/houses so many top schools.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Fri May 20, 2011 11:31 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TurkeyDay

I applied a lot of places, not really knowing at all where I wanted to be. When it came down to deposit time, I just couldn't let the idea of Chicago go (mainly because all of my family is here). So I took the highest rank I got into (UMD) and the highest rank in Chicago (which was giving me about the same scholarship as Loyola anyway).

From what I've heard, Kent does okay in Chicago, but doesn't place well anywhere else, so I'd be somewhat stuck in the city. Obviously I recognize competing against Northwester and UChicago, but thought Kent was the next best???

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:56 am

TurkeyDay wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TurkeyDay

I applied a lot of places, not really knowing at all where I wanted to be. When it came down to deposit time, I just couldn't let the idea of Chicago go (mainly because all of my family is here). So I took the highest rank I got into (UMD) and the highest rank in Chicago (which was giving me about the same scholarship as Loyola anyway).

From what I've heard, Kent does okay in Chicago, but doesn't place well anywhere else, so I'd be somewhat stuck in the city. Obviously I recognize competing against Northwester and UChicago, but thought Kent was the next best???

Every other t-14, definitely Illinois and Notre Dame.

WUSTL, some Ohio State, Iowa, etc. prob too.

jelly

Postby jelly » Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 am

flexityflex86 wrote:
TurkeyDay wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TurkeyDay

Every other t-14, definitely Illinois and Notre Dame.

WUSTL, some Ohio State, Iowa, etc. prob too.

For Chicago, Kent places just as well if not better than Ohio State, Iowa, and some other schools in that range. Outside of Chicago though, it probably faces a slightly tougher time although more Kent grads are practicing out of state and that is a growing trend. Maryland and Kent are essentially peer schools despite Maryland's higher ranking (Kent is underranked) and have similar prospects. So, Kent with scholly is clearly a better option than Maryland at sticker.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Tue May 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Maryland and Kent are essentially peer schools despite Maryland's higher ranking (Kent is underranked) and have similar prospects.

That was actually kind of my vibe too... and it recently jumped 19 spots on USNWR. a) Why do you think this is? and b) Does anyone foresee Kent continuing to advance up in rank?

Edit: "it" meaning Kent. D'oh.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Wed May 25, 2011 10:25 am

It would not advance in rank to the point of making a difference, IMO. Still a decent option for your stated goals though.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 pm

TurkeyDay wrote:
Maryland and Kent are essentially peer schools despite Maryland's higher ranking (Kent is underranked) and have similar prospects.

That was actually kind of my vibe too... and it recently jumped 19 spots on USNWR. a) Why do you think this is? and b) Does anyone foresee Kent continuing to advance up in rank?

Edit: "it" meaning Kent. D'oh.

Don't ever make your decision based on rank. Yale is the best not because it's number 1 on USNWR, but because it's Yale. Same logic applies for every other school.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 pm

The GPA stip on the Kent scholarship is ~top 1/4. And doesn't Kent require a 3.0 to even keep half of it for 2L and 3L? That's at or slightly above median. So, there's a very good chance that you'll lose half of your scholarship, and a reasonable chance that you'll lose the whole thing. In that case, Kent will end up costing a lot more than you're currently calculating. I would recommend retaking so you can get a scholarship somewhere without crazy stips. If you have to go this year, I guess go to Kent and hope like hell that you end up at the top of your class.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Thu May 26, 2011 1:15 am

Magnolia wrote:The GPA stip on the Kent scholarship is ~top 1/4. And doesn't Kent require a 3.0 to even keep half of it for 2L and 3L? That's at or slightly above median. So, there's a very good chance that you'll lose half of your scholarship, and a reasonable chance that you'll lose the whole thing. In that case, Kent will end up costing a lot more than you're currently calculating. I would recommend retaking so you can get a scholarship somewhere without crazy stips. If you have to go this year, I guess go to Kent and hope like hell that you end up at the top of your class.

I'm pretty sure I calculated my best and worst case scenarios correctly. At the very worst, I have 1/3 of my law school tuition paid for because my first year is a full tuition merit scholarship, no grade stipulations. But yes, I agree - the stips make it difficult to maintain!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu May 26, 2011 10:47 am

TurkeyDay wrote:I'm pretty sure I calculated my best and worst case scenarios correctly. At the very worst, I have 1/3 of my law school tuition paid for because my first year is a full tuition merit scholarship, no grade stipulations. But yes, I agree - the stips make it difficult to maintain!

You're right, I misread. My apologies. I still think that you ought to retake, because it's more likely than not that you won't be top 1/4, in which case you'll have 160k in debt. Graduating from Kent with that much debt is really really scary (though it's less scary than graduating from UMaryland with 200k in debt).

sunshine123

Postby sunshine123 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:30 am

Magnolia wrote:
TurkeyDay wrote:I'm pretty sure I calculated my best and worst case scenarios correctly. At the very worst, I have 1/3 of my law school tuition paid for because my first year is a full tuition merit scholarship, no grade stipulations. But yes, I agree - the stips make it difficult to maintain!

You're right, I misread. My apologies. I still think that you ought to retake, because it's more likely than not that you won't be top 1/4, in which case you'll have 160k in debt. Graduating from Kent with that much debt is really really scary (though it's less scary than graduating from UMaryland with 200k in debt).

OP has 40k from Kent guaranteed, so that does not amount to 160k in debt. (OP has the first year paid for regardless of grades). Anyway, that is a nice offer from Kent, even if you end up losing the scholarship the last two years.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 am

Unless I'm going crazy, it's sounds like the OP double-deposited, which is a big no-no.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu May 26, 2011 11:51 am

sunshine123 wrote:OP has 40k from Kent guaranteed, so that does not amount to 160k in debt. (OP has the first year paid for regardless of grades). Anyway, that is a nice offer from Kent, even if you end up losing the scholarship the last two years.

The COA is ~200k. The first year scholly is worth 40k, which brings the total COA to 160k. If he loses the scholly after the first year, he is left to pay that entire 160k himself, no? Is there something I'm missing here?

sunshine123

Postby sunshine123 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Magnolia wrote:
sunshine123 wrote:OP has 40k from Kent guaranteed, so that does not amount to 160k in debt. (OP has the first year paid for regardless of grades). Anyway, that is a nice offer from Kent, even if you end up losing the scholarship the last two years.

The COA is ~200k. The first year scholly is worth 40k, which brings the total COA to 160k. If he loses the scholly after the first year, he is left to pay that entire 160k himself, no? Is there something I'm missing here?

I was calculating COA at ~120k (~40k per year for 3 years). So with 40k guaranteed, that brings COA down to ~80k.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”