George Mason vs. UMaryland vs. Retake vs. Medical School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

And the winner is...

George Mason
6%
UMaryland
17%
Retake
No votes
Medical School
78%

Total votes: 18

pecuniarygain

George Mason vs. UMaryland vs. Retake vs. Medical School

Postby pecuniarygain » Wed May 18, 2011 3:41 pm

In at George Mason with their $15K/year scholie conditional on top 25% (OUT OF POCKET WOULD BE 10K/YEAR)

UMaryland Leadership Scholie with $25K/year (no conditions....only need "good academic standing" at 2.0) (OUT OF POCKET AROUND 15K/Year)

Waitlisted at Columbia, but so is the rest of the world, so not holding my breath on that one.

Waitlisted at Minnesota, but the movement on that waitlist resembles the progress on health care reform...nonexistent thus far.

Waitlisted at Fordham, but the school's rep. told me that they are not as genorous with money, especially for waitlists, and I can't justify 150K over 3 years for tuition at a 30 school...but I am open to suggestions.

Wife has job in DC, but within commute of both UMaryland and GM.

Because of the market and my science background, took the MCATS and applied to Med School, and got in. Tuition at both schools in $42K/year with NO scholies. (OUT OF POCKET AROUND $50K/YEAR for FOUR YEARS). Both schools are on the West Coast. Wife gives up job.

Applied in the middle of January with December LSATs.

I "sat out" this year, and not sure how I feel about the prospect of putting my career on hold for another year to retake an exam that after the 167ish range has as much to do with luck as it does with prep.

Perch

Re: George Mason vs. UMaryland vs. Retake vs. Medical School

Postby Perch » Wed May 18, 2011 3:51 pm

do you want to be a doctor or a lawyer?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Perch wrote:do you want to be a doctor or a lawyer?

This. And that George Mason scholly stipulation is horrible. Also, why did you have to repost the same thread?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 pm

I'll repost the same thing:

I think you should have some idea whether you would prefer law or medicine. If you got to law school, UMD sounds like the winner here. Also, Baltimore / Baltimore County / Ann Arundel County are waaaay cheaper than UMD's student budget make seem so it isn't like you will really be spending that much living normally.

pecuniarygain

Postby pecuniarygain » Wed May 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Both are good...I've done work in both areas and could see myself being happy doing either.

I think at this point in my life I am more drawn to the practice of law, but if in three years time that means no career prospects, no opportunity to provide financialy for my family, then, I would not be so happy.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:28 pm

One of my friends is finishing up med school and is going to be a doctor in the Navy with zero debt. They paid for everything and he gets housing allotments, and they are going to pay his undergrad debt.

While I hated being in the military, it is completely different as a doctor and you don't have to put up with all the bullshit that the vast majority of service members have to.

Getting med school paid for by the government would be pretty damn sweet.

bruinwang

Postby bruinwang » Wed May 18, 2011 4:55 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:One of my friends is finishing up med school and is going to be a doctor in the Navy with zero debt. They paid for everything and he gets housing allotments, and they are going to pay his undergrad debt.

While I hated being in the military, it is completely different as a doctor and you don't have to put up with all the bullshit that the vast majority of service members have to.

Getting med school paid for by the government would be pretty damn sweet.

Not exactly free, per se, the military just gets it back with years of obligated service. The difference in pay between civilian and military docs may not always make the scholarship the most financially attractive option, depending on the intended specialty (i.e. it's more worthwhile for primary care than, say, neurosurgery).

That said, for those who love serving the country in uniform, the military will be worthwhile no matter what the difference in costs/benefits, and the obligated service won't feel like much of an obligation. btw, Which branch were you, mpj? I'm Navy, so I have to say that your friend hit that part right on the money. :)

freddie11

Postby freddie11 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:12 am

go to med school--too many unemployed JDs out there

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Definitely Med School

Return to “Choosing a Law School”