OSU v. Iowa

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Celiadiuidiu

OSU v. Iowa

Postby Celiadiuidiu » Wed May 18, 2011 2:33 pm

I am making a hard decision between the two law schools. Hope some kind guys could give me some advice. And I would like to know something about:
1. which law school has a higher education quality/better law professors?
2. which law school would provide better job prospects? I am interested in working in Chicago, and if I can't find a job in Chicago, any city is OK as long as it is a city. (I don't quite like practising in Iowa state, but Ohio state is acceptable)
And I am an international student (now a current LLM student in Cornell) So my situation may be a little bit more complicated.

Thanks for any advice!

bartleby

Re: OSU v. Iowa

Postby bartleby » Wed May 18, 2011 2:42 pm

OSU

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm

bartleby wrote:OSU

+1.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Wait, you are finishing you LLM and now want to get a JD?

Snape

Postby Snape » Wed May 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Because of all of the off-field problems and suspension I choose Iowa by 6

Celiadiuidiu

Postby Celiadiuidiu » Wed May 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Well, can I know the reasons? I thought that since Iowa is closer to Chicago, it might be better off as regard to the job market.
bartleby wrote:OSU

Celiadiuidiu

Postby Celiadiuidiu » Wed May 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah, kind of crazy. But during LL.M., I find law studying in America is really fanscinating!

rad law wrote:Wait, you are finishing you LLM and now want to get a JD?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed May 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Celiadiuidiu wrote:Yeah, kind of crazy. But during LL.M., I find law studying in America is really fanscinating!

Why take out more debt, since law school isn't useful, when you're employable in the US already with your LLM.

Celiadiuidiu

Postby Celiadiuidiu » Wed May 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Snape wrote:Because of all of the off-field problems and suspension I choose Iowa by 6

off-field problems? Can I know what exact are they? Thank you:)

Celiadiuidiu

Postby Celiadiuidiu » Wed May 18, 2011 3:09 pm

rad law wrote:
Celiadiuidiu wrote:Yeah, kind of crazy. But during LL.M., I find law studying in America is really fanscinating!

Why take out more debt, since law school isn't useful, when you're employable in the US already with your LLM.

It is very hard to find a job in the U.S. with a LLM degree. I've got a job in my home country but since it is an international firm I probably need a JD degree or in other words, more American legal training. I am just half-qualified now. And I really find American law intersting to learn. :)

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Celiadiuidiu wrote:
Snape wrote:Because of all of the off-field problems and suspension I choose Iowa by 6

off-field problems? Can I know what exact are they? Thank you:)

Talking about football, Celiadiuidiu. Tressel is under investigation by the NCAA now.

memphisbelle

Postby memphisbelle » Wed May 18, 2011 3:26 pm

What the previous poster was referring to is that several of the OSU football players (quarterback and several seniors, I believe) sold some of their memorabilia items or traded them for services. The NCAA prohibits college athletes from making any money off of the fact that they are athletes. The coach found out about it and rather than telling the NCAA immediately, he chose to refer the matter to the quarterback's mentor and then subsequently ignore it until they got caught in December.

The players were suspended for several games along with the coach and there is talk that OSU will fire the coach, although it probably won't be done for a while. The school may be forced to vacate their season or their bowl game from last year depending on the NCAA's ruling. They may also lose athletic scholarship money.

While this is all very disappointing for Buckeye fans, I wouldn't say that the issues with the football team have anything to do with determining whether Moritz is a good choice. The campus is beautiful and Columbus is a nice city.

In any case, it will be high on my list of targets next year. GO BUCKS!!

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed May 18, 2011 3:53 pm

i think what most people will say is... regardless of rank, it'll be tough to break into chi from Iowa or OSU. since you're okay with columbus and not okay with iowa (who would be okay with iowa...) go to OSU. plus OSU probably has better lay prestige.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:11 pm

memphisbelle wrote:GO BUCKS!!

OH-IO.
(and I'm not even going there!)

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Thu May 19, 2011 10:17 am

Stanzi left, so Iowa now has a shot. Albeit, minute.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat May 21, 2011 11:50 pm

why dont you just go do another LLM at wustl. Then transfer into their JD program. This will take you 3 years.

A JD from Iowa or OSU will also take 3 years time. Why not go to a better school and have slightly better career prospects.

Im not sure if other schools have the same program.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”