second thoughts

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

what to do

Go to Pitt
5%
Go to Pitt and stop second guessing yourself
37%
Contact UB and see if there is a way to get in this cycle
5%
Withdraw from Pitt and apply next year
53%

Total votes: 19

northwood

second thoughts

Postby northwood » Tue May 17, 2011 7:52 pm

SO I allready paid my deposit at Pitt. Problem is, now I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice between Pitt and UB. I am from western NY and while right now, I can definately see myself in Pittsburgh for the rest of my time- there is a chance that I may change my mind in 3 years. Would I be foolish to put school off for another year ( and lose the seat deposit money) and re consider my options for the gazillion time, or should I go to Pitt- and if I get the urge to go back to western ny use my ties there ( grew up there, went to ug there, and graduate school there- know a few lawyers who I've talked to about law school and my future) in my job search? I have a feeling this is cold feet- especially since ive been looking at apts- and i know it would be so much easier to move a 150 miles over 300 miles, and its also easier to find time to go look at them- and I should just move past this. But again- i just cant shake this feeling in the back of my head that is telling me that if I dont go to UB ill close off western ny for the job search in the future.

thoughts/ suggestions?

CanadianWolf

Re: second thoughts

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Pitt.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Have you lived in Pittsburgh pre-law school?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 17, 2011 9:09 pm

May not be relevant if his goal is Buffalo.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:May not be relevant if his goal is Buffalo.

GOal is not buffalo. City in question would be rochester if i were to go back to WNY.

Been to Pitt to visit- havent lived there though

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 pm

If you're really going to re-apply or reconsider school, might as well retake the LSAT.
Also, I feel like I told you to pick the local school months ago :P .

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm

hahaha i know. im an idiot

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 pm

keg411 wrote:If you're really going to re-apply or reconsider school, might as well retake the LSAT.
Also, I feel like I told you to pick the local school months ago :P .

haha...solid advice here

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:58 pm

I think at the non T-14 level at equal cost the local school usually makes more sense - but you said it yourself you could see yourself in Pittsburgh...there are probably good reasons you chose it in the first place.

For some people these decisions are very clear cut but it wasnt for me either. Think about how you'd feel if you went through with it and IUB would still take you. Say to yourself "I am going to IUB" - do you feel relieved or still torn? You may not have chosen wrong - its just hard to move past such major decisions. If thats true the further you move down the path of making next year real, finding a place, meeting your classmates and investing in the decision you've made - the more those doubts will recede and probably only pop up again if you find yourself jobless ( :wink: )

If you know for sure it was the wrong decision then do whatever you have to to get out of it. Just know, you may be able to reverse the decision but lose fin aid or you may not be able to get back in this year - but a year is not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things.

I completely understand how you are feeling - I've been going through doubts myself and am just beginning to get past it. Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”