The Infamous UCLA v. USC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dpk711

Re: The Infamous UCLA v. USC

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:56 am

Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Curry wrote:Cause UCLA girls are hideous and UCLA has no party life.

The USC Law vs. UCLA law debate was arguable. But USC girls vs. UCLA girls really isn't.

You've never even been to UCLA have you?

Been to Westwood and UCLA many times. Not even close.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 am

dpk711 wrote:
Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

The USC Law vs. UCLA law debate was arguable. But USC girls vs. UCLA girls really isn't.

Lol. I'm not saying UCLA girls are hotter. They aren't. But its not as if UCLA has a bunch of 1s running around while USC is filled with 10s. Don't be stupid.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 am

glewz wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:You. I like you.

Cause UCLA girls are hideous and UCLA has no party life.

180 on that bro :D

8)

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 am

dpk711 wrote:
Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

UCLA UG is less cute than USC UG
UCLA Law =cuteness= USC Law

The end.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:59 am

Curry wrote:Lol. I'm not saying UCLA girls are hotter. They aren't. But its not as if UCLA has a bunch of 1s running around while USC is filled with 10s. Don't be stupid.

I never said UCLA has a bunch of 1s running around. I'm saying if the UCLA average is a 6, the USC average is close to a 9.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu May 19, 2011 2:17 am

dpk711 wrote:
Curry wrote:Lol. I'm not saying UCLA girls are hotter. They aren't. But its not as if UCLA has a bunch of 1s running around while USC is filled with 10s. Don't be stupid.

I never said UCLA has a bunch of 1s running around. I'm saying if the UCLA average is a 6, the USC average is close to a 9.

lol your bias is getting in the way of your ability to judge women. Its okay.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:23 am

Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

lol your bias is getting in the way of your ability to judge women. Its okay.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

canon

Postby canon » Thu May 19, 2011 2:24 am

edited
Last edited by canon on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu May 19, 2011 2:39 am

:lol: how this devolved into a discussion about the 'hotness' of the women. I would go with UCLA, because even if all other things are essentially equal (particularly re: placement stats into CA biglaw), UCLA does have a stronger reputation outside CA IMO, and also does have a slight edge in rankings (which I imagine is at least partly due to a reputational disparity).

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 am

As of now, no aid from either school so Im going to make my decision based on other factors. It looks like UCLA has some slight advantages to USC, all else being equal. Like I mentioned, the larger class size at UCLA makes me think that there is more competitiveness within students for internships/jobs/grades than USC. Thoughts?

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu May 19, 2011 2:44 am

aryathegreat wrote:As of now, no aid from either school so Im going to make my decision based on other factors. It looks like UCLA has some slight advantages to USC, all else being equal. Like I mentioned, the larger class size at UCLA makes me think that there is more competitiveness within students for internships/jobs/grades than USC. Thoughts?

Both schools are going to be competitive for jobs and grades.

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Thu May 19, 2011 2:46 am

Curry wrote:
aryathegreat wrote:As of now, no aid from either school so Im going to make my decision based on other factors. It looks like UCLA has some slight advantages to USC, all else being equal. Like I mentioned, the larger class size at UCLA makes me think that there is more competitiveness within students for internships/jobs/grades than USC. Thoughts?

Thats of course going to be true of two top law schools, but I just wanted to see if UCLA had a competitive nature that was too cutthroat, i.e. felt more like fighting other students than succeeding together.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 am

aryathegreat wrote:
Curry wrote:

Thats of course going to be true of two top law schools, but I just wanted to see if UCLA had a competitive nature that was too cutthroat, i.e. felt more like fighting other students than succeeding together.

I know dozens of UCLA Law kids (who now graduated). Competitive and cut-throat is the opposite of what they described their law school experience as. That may be more true of USC. UCLA has a laid-back atmosphere.

Don't trust me, though. Go to the law school and ask the kids in the law library, I guarantee you they will say the same thing.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu May 19, 2011 2:49 am

By the way, I'd think long and hard about paying sticker at either of these schools. It is a risky choice.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:51 am

aryathegreat wrote:
Curry wrote:

I agree with Curry that they're equally reputable for SoCal although UCLA may have a slight edge in govt. related jerbs. OP, do you want to end up in LA? If not, UCLA is slightly better for non-LA jobs.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:52 am

Curry wrote:By the way, I'd think long and hard about paying sticker at either of these schools. It is a risky choice.

This. Think both of them as a $200K lottery ticket with around a 35-40% chance of landing BIGLAW.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu May 19, 2011 2:53 am

dpk711 wrote:
Curry wrote:By the way, I'd think long and hard about paying sticker at either of these schools. It is a risky choice.

This. Think both of them as a $200K lottery ticket with around a 35-40% chance of landing BIGLAW.

35-40% is WAY high. Think 25-30%

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Thu May 19, 2011 2:53 am

aryathegreat wrote:I just wanted to see if UCLA had a competitive nature that was too cutthroat, i.e. felt more like fighting other students than succeeding together.

Yeah. You're doin it wrong.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:01 am

Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

I correct myself, 30-35% actually ITE. Regardless, I would never go to either at sticker.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu May 19, 2011 3:05 am

dpk711 wrote:
Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

I correct myself, 30-35% actually ITE. Regardless, I would never go to either at sticker.

USC placed 28% of its grads in Biglaw in 2009 and UCLA placed 35%. Its thought by many on this site that both of those numbers will fall in next years NLJ report.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:09 am

Curry wrote:USC placed 28% of its grads in Biglaw in 2009 and UCLA placed 35%. Its thought by many on this site that both of those numbers will fall in next years NLJ report.

Gotcha, I guess you're right then.

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Thu May 19, 2011 3:54 am

dpk711 wrote:
aryathegreat wrote:
Curry wrote:

I agree with Curry that they're equally reputable for SoCal although UCLA may have a slight edge in govt. related jerbs. OP, do you want to end up in LA? If not, UCLA is slightly better for non-LA jobs.

Most likely staying in LA.

While I believe its true that most students from these schools dont land biglaw immediately after graduating, most of these statistics fail to take into account further growth/job advancements a few years down the road.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu May 19, 2011 4:17 am

Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Curry wrote:
dpk711 wrote:This. Think both of them as a $200K lottery ticket with around a 35-40% chance of landing BIGLAW.

USC placed 28% of its grads in Biglaw in 2009 and UCLA placed 35%. Its thought by many on this site that both of those numbers will fall in next years NLJ report.

Here are stats for the last 4 years - minor differences.

USC | ~200 class size
2010: 28.7% (Rank 19)
2009: 41.3% (Rank 15)
2008: 47.6% (Rank 14)
2007: 43.6% (Rank 14)

UCLA | ~320 class size
2010: 35.1% (Rank 14)
2009: 35.9% (Rank 17)
2008: 42.4% (Rank 19)
2007: 39.1% (Rank 17)

Average USC Ranking: 15.5 vs. Average UCLA Ranking: 16.75
Average USC %: 40.3% vs. Average UCLA %: 38.1%

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu May 19, 2011 4:25 am

aryathegreat wrote:Most likely staying in LA.

While I believe its true that most students from these schools dont land biglaw immediately after graduating, most of these statistics fail to take into account further growth/job advancements a few years down the road.

lolwut.

Its near impossible to land a biglaw job if you don't get it while in law school (the exception being post article III clerkships)

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Thu May 19, 2011 4:28 am

Curry wrote:
aryathegreat wrote:Most likely staying in LA.

lolwut.

Its near impossible to land a biglaw job if you don't get it while in law school (the exception being post article III clerkships)

i was referring to the salaries big law jobs make more so than the actual jobs

Return to “Choosing a Law School”