U of AZ (sticker) vs UNLV ($ in-state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

U of AZ Rogers
19%
UNLV Boyd
81%

Total votes: 16

michelle_n

Postby michelle_n » Tue May 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi Everyone

I need your help. I have been slowly (but surely) minimized my list of choices down to 2 schools, U of AZ and UNLV. I plan to do JD/MBA and currently studying for GMAT.
UNLV offered me 25% scholarship and is $20k cheaper than U of AZ (and that’s before scholarship $). Also, my cost of living would be substantially lower if I stay here in Vegas. But, UNLV Boyd is ranked 30 below U of AZ (I know, I know... I shouldn't focus on US News Ranking but I just can’t help it). Also, UNLV’s MBA school is not even in the Top 100 while Eller of U of AZ is 63rd.

Is the ranking really that important to employers?

I am really interested in practicing Business Transactional law. U of AZ has a Business Law program while UNLV does not have any concentrations offered. Would that even matter?

I am a resident of Nevada and attended UNLV for my undergrad. I love Las Vegas and I plan to work here after law school. I really would like to work as an in-house counsel instead of working for a firm, so does anyone know which school would benefit me the most?

bk1

Re: U of AZ (sticker) vs UNLV ($ in-state)

Postby bk1 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:50 pm

michelle_n wrote:I love Las Vegas and I plan to work here after law school.

This is all that matters (well and the fact that UNLV is much cheaper). Go to UNLV.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Agree with bk1. If you love Las Vegas & want to live & work there after law school, then you were admitted to what should be your first choice law school---UNLV.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Enjoy UNLV.

supercal27

Postby supercal27 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 pm

U of A is by far the better school all-around imo. But it's true that if you want to live/work in Vegas then UNLV is probably your best option. Don't discount the relative power behind a U of A JD/MBA in the southwest though.

david787

Postby david787 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 pm

It's tougher with the $ considerations but UofA does pretty well in Las Vegas. If you can make the financials work I think it's a better choice.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Wed May 18, 2011 3:31 pm

I think if you want to work in Vegas go to UNLV. UA is a great school though and probably places well in Vegas. However, UA OOS tuition is pretty steep, and AZ makes it quite difficult to obtain residency for some reason. Your odds of finding a "great" job out of either school is pretty low ITE, so I'd go to UNLV because it's much cheaper. Plus, Vegas > Tucson, and if the whole lawyer thing does not work out, you can always work on the strip and make mucho cash tips.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm

uzpakalis wrote:UA is a great school

How is U of A a great school?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed May 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Whichever school you choose, you have a good chance at a rewarding career in either Arizona or Nevada. Neither state is over-lawyered, neither is expensive to live in, and both will resume their commercial growth once the recession is truly behind us. I made my life and career in New Mexico which has worked out well for me but had I it to do over again, my choice would be Arizona.

michelle_n

Postby michelle_n » Wed May 18, 2011 3:43 pm

david787 wrote:It's tougher with the $ considerations but UofA does pretty well in Las Vegas. If you can make the financials work I think it's a better choice.

I have made an appeal to reconsider me for scholarships, but I haven't heard from U of A yet.

michelle_n

Postby michelle_n » Fri May 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you to everyone. I have decided to attend UNLV.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”