William & Mary ($) v. Washington University in St. Louis ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TwentyFive

William & Mary ($) v. Washington University in St. Louis ($)

Postby TwentyFive » Tue May 17, 2011 1:49 pm

I'd like to work in big-city BIGLAW or, alternatively, BIGGOV. I'm out of state (not Virginia). I get that with COL + scholarship W&M will be cheaper; however, they seem to be in a different tier (correct me if I'm wrong, TLS) with different job prospects.

bk1

Re: William & Mary ($) v. Washington University in St. Louis ($)

Postby bk1 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Neither is going to give you that great a shot at biglaw or biggov. If you go to either of these schools you need to be okay with ending up working at a small firm since that is the most likely scenario coming out of them.

They are roughly peer schools. WUSTL is a bit better than W&M, but the real difference between them is placement area. If you want to end up in the midwest, go to WUSTL. If you want to end up in the south/midatlantic, go to W&M. If you really want biglaw/biggov or want to end up in another region, retake and reapply because these schools do not give you a very good shot at any of those.

wojo96

Postby wojo96 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Both are regional schools regardless of rank (WUSTL's high rank is driven more by its inputs- rising LSAT/GPA driven by obscene merit based grants) and Am Law 250 placement is rather similar, WUSTL 18.96% v. W&M 15.42%.

Personally, I think it's a wash, favoring whatever school is cheaper/closer to a city where you have roots/want to practice.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm

"I'd like to work in big-city BIGLAW or, alternatively, BIGGOV."

You have a very small shot at either coming from these schools.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Return to “Choosing a Law School”