USC $$$ or NYU sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC 90k or NYU sticker?

USC 90k
26%
NYU sticker
74%

Total votes: 31

pauldag

USC $$$ or NYU sticker

Postby pauldag » Mon May 16, 2011 4:34 pm

I was just looking for some advice on what you guys would do in my situation. I have been lurking on here since I took the LSAT in december and was hoping for some advice. I am from Southern California and I think I would like to practice back here, however I would not mind spending some years working on the East Coast. I am on the younger side for law school, 21, and am not sure how hard the transition to NYC would be. However, I think this decision comes down to objective considerations. I already deposited at USC with 90k scholarship and just got pulled off of the NYU wait list on thursday.

Should I take the 30k a year at USC or go to NYU at sticker? Is NYU worth the extra 90k in student loans?

thanks for the input.

bk1

Re: USC $$$ or NYU sticker

Postby bk1 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm

What do you want to do after law school?

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Depends on what you want to do. But I personally think NYU is worth the extra cost because of the added opportunities. If you are set on pursuing work at the DA's office or something similar to that in the LA area though, I think USC is a better option.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm

pauldag wrote:I was just looking for some advice on what you guys would do in my situation. I have been lurking on here since I took the LSAT in december and was hoping for some advice. I am from Southern California and I think I would like to practice back here, however I would not mind spending some years working on the East Coast. I am on the younger side for law school, 21, and am not sure how hard the transition to NYC would be. However, I think this decision comes down to objective considerations. I already deposited at USC with 90k scholarship and just got pulled off of the NYU wait list on thursday.

Should I take the 30k a year at USC or go to NYU at sticker? Is NYU worth the extra 90k in student loans?

thanks for the input.

You've left out very important information, including where you'd like to work and what you'd like to do with your law degree. Additionally, where will you be living in either case? If you're living at home rent free in SoCal, then the difference becomes much, much greater b/w the schools regarding COA. Even if you aren't living at home, LA is cheaper than NYU.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon May 16, 2011 6:06 pm

I passed on well over 100k at UCLA to go to NYU. NYU gets you back to California easier than UCLA or USC I think. T6 resumes will always get looks.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon May 16, 2011 6:09 pm

As hard a time as I have telling someone to turn down 90K, NYU is so much stronger than USC that I have to do it. You will have a much better shot at a LA firm job being from LA with a NYU law degree. Not to mention your increased chances at other markets. Combine that with the awesome LRAP at NYU that will cover you if you miss out (or change your mind about) on big law firm work, and you just have a better deal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”