WF ($) v.s. Brooklyn ($$) v.s. William and Mary (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LTsike

WF ($) v.s. Brooklyn ($$) v.s. William and Mary (sticker)

Postby LTsike » Mon May 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Well, have at it here. Where should I go? I'm interested in practicing in DC, NYC, or Chicago.

I've received a scholarship of $28k a year to Wake Forest, and I need to be in the top 2/3 of the class to retain it for the following two years. (Their tuition is $36k a year, and rent is about $500 a month).

I've received a scholarship of $41k a year to Brooklyn, and I need to be in the top 40% of the class to retain all of it for the following two years. Top 50% of the class would retain 80% of the scholarship. (Tuition at Brooklyn is $45k a year, and rent is about $900 a month).

Just heard back from William and Mary. No scholarship presumably, and sticker price is $36k a year, which drops to $26k a year after the first year if I can establish in state residency. (Rent here is about $600 a month).

Is it worth it to incur more debt to get the WM and degree? If not, Wake or Brooklyn? Let's hear your thoughts.

bk1

Re: WF ($) v.s. Brooklyn ($$) v.s. William and Mary (sticker)

Postby bk1 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Retake/reapply.

WF and W&M are decent schools if you want to work in NC or VA, but you don't. WF is actually a decent deal at that price, although W&M at sticker price is too high imo.

So the only school which can get you any of the 3 cities you mentioned is BLS. But BLS is ridiculously expensive and there is a 50% chance that you are going to be paying full price for your 2nd and 3rd years. On top of that, in 2009 only 63% of BLS grads got full time jobs as lawyers (--LinkRemoved--) which is pretty abysmal to me.

Since you don't have very good options, you really should retake/reapply unless you want to work in NC in which case you should go to WF. But, assuming you want DC/Chi/NYC retaking and reapply really is the best option open to you.

elvenlord21

Re: WF ($) v.s. Brooklyn ($$) v.s. William and Mary (sticker)

Postby elvenlord21 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Also I wouldn't count on getting in-state tuition in your 2nd and 3rd years at W&M. Establishing residency in VA is really hard. I was looking into it because i am going to be attending George Mason. Basically you have to move to VA a year before classes start and plan to remain in VA indefinitely.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”