Nova SE > FIU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Its the gel man

Nova SE > FIU

Postby Its the gel man » Mon May 16, 2011 9:11 am

According to NALP, it seems that Nova (Florida) has more graduates placed in biglaw in Florida than FIU. Can one deduce that Nova is a safer bet for biglaw than FIU?

Grizz

Re: Nova SE > FIU

Postby Grizz » Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 am

In this economy, you won't get biglaw from either, so don't worry about it.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon May 16, 2011 10:25 am

rad law wrote:In this any economy, you won't get biglaw from either, so don't worry about it.

FTFY

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 am

No. NOVA is too expensive to go. If you must go to either of these schools, go to FIU assuming you have in state tuition. If you have instate residency- aim to get into FSU or UF.

Use the search function. You will learn how little credibility, but yet how much hostility this forum allows Nova, or other TTTT schools ( epecially ones in FLA like Cooley, Ava Maria, Barry, St. Thomas, et al) and those who back them wholeheartidly.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 16, 2011 10:31 am

duckmoney wrote:
rad law wrote:In this any economy, you won't get biglaw from either, so don't worry about it.

FTFY

No, you didn't. Back in the boom years the tippity top small slice of the top of the class at Nova could get biglaw jerbs.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 16, 2011 10:31 am

northwood wrote:epecially ones in FLA like Cooley

Not in FL bro

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 16, 2011 10:32 am

i meant coastal. typing fail strikes again!

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Mon May 16, 2011 10:49 am

But the question is, does Barry trump them both? Let's discuss!

Its the gel man

Postby Its the gel man » Mon May 16, 2011 11:19 am

It looks like these are going to be my choices and will have to pick one. Would like some advice on why I should choose one over the other. It seems that FIU is generally better than Nova but the latter has more grads in biglaw.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 16, 2011 11:26 am

OP do you have florida residency? If not is there a way you can get it? You talk about wanting to be barred in Europe and in the US- so where do you want to live after LS? If you want to stay in florida- then the best bet would be to work for a year or so and establish residency andbe able to get in state tuition and use the time to work and save some money, and to work on minimizing your LSAT mistakes, so you will be able to earn a score in December or June that will qualify you for UF or FSU if you wnat to stay in florida. If you want to go to another state- then follow the same advice for that state. OOS tuition for FIU is not worth it,and neither is NOVA ( its a private school that costs waaay too much money) Figure out where you want to live and practice and make and follow a plan that will allow you to go to school in that area as cheeply as possible.

Its the gel man

Postby Its the gel man » Mon May 16, 2011 11:30 am

I ultimately plan on living in Florida, south Florida to be exact. However, I wouldn't mind having the European credential under my belt as well. I'm not sure if the latter credential will even help me or not in the job search. After all, having 2 crappy schools as my choices makes me want to get as many credentials as I can (besides good grades). Just think I'll have to stand out considering I'll be competing with the powerhouse schools in Florida.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 16, 2011 11:45 am

Its the gel man wrote:I ultimately plan on living in Florida, south Florida to be exact. However, I wouldn't mind having the European credential under my belt as well. I'm not sure if the latter credential will even help me or not in the job search. After all, having 2 crappy schools as my choices makes me want to get as many credentials as I can (besides good grades). Just think I'll have to stand out considering I'll be competing with the powerhouse schools in Florida.

No one will give a shit about your European credentials.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue May 17, 2011 5:31 pm

ARE YOU A FL RESIDENT? My advice would be to live in florida for a year, gain residency, and during that year study your ass off for the LSAT and work. If you are a resident, still take a year to study your ass off and work. Honestly, LGB was a game changer for me. Don't sell yourself short. Get a LGB and Superprep and a number of PTs and study hard man. You are capable of a high score, you just have to put your mind to it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”