(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sundance95

Re: Getting a Job in California... Villanova or Temple

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:43 am

Peace of Mind wrote:I understand what everyone is saying but if I only had these two options (excluding retake and reapply... I get that) which one? Or should I go to the least expensive one? Are they going to give me equal job prospects in ca and philly? I know villanova is now 84 and temple is 61.

But you don't.

And they will give you equal chances, given that 1% = 1%.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:48 am

IzziesGal wrote:Do NOT listen to Mr. Anon here. Plenty of students attend law schools far from the regions in which they intend to practice. Employers understand students' reasons for going far from home - good scholarships, good programs, highly ranked schools, chance to experience something different, etc. I am in CA and am going back to NY. I have a friend at Penn who are going to TX to practice. I could go on and on and on with examples.

Lol Izzyz, comparing Penn and Temple/Villanova is completely nonsensical. The only school I can think of in PA that can reliably give you CA is Penn. I think you are completely blind about the "regionaless" of law school outside the T14. Even a student from Penn would have a harder time finding a job in Cali than a similarly ranked student from UCLA. Please don't give OP false hope and lead her to decision she will probably regret if she wants to end up in CA.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 16, 2011 1:50 am

Peace of Mind wrote:I understand what everyone is saying but if I only had these two options (excluding retake and reapply... I get that) which one? Or should I go to the least expensive one? Are they going to give me equal job prospects in ca and philly? I know villanova is now 84 and temple is 61. Does this difference really matter? Of course if I get into my waitlist schools ill be going there.

What are your WL schools

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 16, 2011 1:54 am

sundance95 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:I understand what everyone is saying but if I only had these two options (excluding retake and reapply... I get that) which one? Or should I go to the least expensive one? Are they going to give me equal job prospects in ca and philly? I know villanova is now 84 and temple is 61.

But you don't.

And they will give you equal chances, given that 1% = 1%.

I understand I don't only have these options I just meant for arguments sake. I had someone tell me villanova would get me back before temple and I didn't think this was true and wanted to get other opinions and an idea of what my chances are. It never hurts to ask at least now u know. Thanks!!

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 16, 2011 1:59 am

rad law wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:I understand what everyone is saying but if I only had these two options (excluding retake and reapply... I get that) which one? Or should I go to the least expensive one? Are they going to give me equal job prospects in ca and philly? I know villanova is now 84 and temple is 61. Does this difference really matter? Of course if I get into my waitlist schools ill be going there.

What are your WL schools

NDLS, loyola, pepperdine, Usc, ucla, usd, Davis, gw, w&l, gulc, among others. I'm on a lot!!!!!!!!!!! And I applied very early. NDLS is my dream school and I will go there above all, even my ca schools.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:08 am

Peace of Mind wrote:
rad law wrote:

What are your WL schools

NDLS, loyola, pepperdine, Usc, ucla, usd, Davis, gw, w&l, gulc, among others. I'm on a lot!!!!!!!!!!! And I applied very early. NDLS is my dream school and I will go there above all, even my ca schools.

If you got into Temple/Villanova, which are still decent regional schools, I think you have a good chance of getting off of Loyola, Pepperdine, or USD's waitlist. For CA, these schools are infinitely better than Temple and Villanova.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 16, 2011 2:15 am

dpk711 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
rad law wrote:

What are your WL schools

If you got into Temple/Villanova, which are still decent regional schools, I think you have a good chance of getting off of Loyola, Pepperdine, or USD's waitlist. For CA, these schools are infinitely better than Temple and Villanova.

I agree! Thanks!! I am hoping to at least get in to these schools.

arvcondor

Re: .

Postby arvcondor » Mon May 16, 2011 2:23 am

I agree with the above, OP. As much as we'd love you at Temple, banking on returning to the other coast from either of your current options is unreasonable unless the ties you speak of are really, really significant (as in, your mom is a partner at a firm there).

And I agree with sundance: Both Temple and Nova probably give you the same exact shot at CA.

Edit: Why did the thread just die?

Peace of Mind

Re: .

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 16, 2011 2:39 am

arvcondor wrote:I agree with the above, OP. As much as we'd love you at Temple, banking on returning to the other coast from either of your current options is unreasonable unless the ties you speak of are really, really significant (as in, your mom is a partner at a firm there).

And I agree with sundance: Both Temple and Nova probably give you the same exact shot at CA.

Edit: Why did the thread just die?

One member of my family knows many attorneys who told me if I had an issue finding a job in ca they'd hire me, in the public and private sector. No one in my family is a lawyer or went to college for that matter. Like I said before these types of things are not guaranteed so I don't want to count on them. If my parents were attorneys I wouldnt even be worried.

I will just say that I loved philly when I visited and will miss the opportunity to live in the city if I do not attend but at the end of the day I have to do what's best for.me career wise.

I killed the thread because my question was answered... no need to waste anyone's time :)

Btw... kiwi I found a nice place in avenue of the arts for about 700-900 utilities included. Thanks for all the suggestions on housing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”