(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun May 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Last edited by Peace of Mind on Mon May 16, 2011 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

dr123

Re: Getting a Job in California... Villanova or Temple

Postby dr123 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:23 pm

Neither of those schools are good for Cali. They are however pretty good for Philly

Did you get into any schools IN cali?

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sun May 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Honestly neither of these are good options for work in CA, even with ties. Is retaking/reapplying not an option?

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun May 15, 2011 11:34 pm

Last edited by Peace of Mind on Mon May 16, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Retaking and reapplying is an option, no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to go to LS.

Did get into Loyola or Pepperdine? They'd prolly be a better option in this situation

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun May 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Last edited by Peace of Mind on Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun May 15, 2011 11:38 pm

Why would you go to these schools with the intention of practicing in california? If you show up at an interview in California and tell the employer it has always been your intention to work in california he/she will think you lack common sense in moving to Pennsylvania for law school. It isn't really an issue of whether you can break into the market or whatever. Anyone can break into any market if he/she is determined. But it just doesnt make much sense.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun May 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Last edited by Peace of Mind on Mon May 16, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun May 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Last edited by Peace of Mind on Mon May 16, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sun May 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:Honestly neither of these are good options for work in CA, even with ties. Is retaking/reapplying not an option?

No, it's really not. I have already done both and just choke on the actual test. I'm suprisingly on some highly ranked waitlists and I am hoping and praying everyday that I will get off, one being my dream school. I would be happy at either of these schools just not as happy as if I went to some others.

Will someone let me know if I will qualify for instate tuition after one year at Temple? Thanks!

I have talked to some people from these schools from Ca who made it back, they just said it was difficult(one in particular got back through connections). Anyone with any experience with this? Maybe not Ca, but another western state?

Work the waitlists. That's your best option at this point aside from reapplying which is really what you should do. It's going to be hugely difficult to get back to CA from these two schools because they are so far down the food chain for CA hiring.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun May 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:Honestly neither of these are good options for work in CA, even with ties. Is retaking/reapplying not an option?

No, it's really not. I have already done both and just choke on the actual test. I'm suprisingly on some highly ranked waitlists and I am hoping and praying everyday that I will get off, one being my dream school. I would be happy at either of these schools just not as happy as if I went to some others.

Will someone let me know if I will qualify for instate tuition after one year at Temple? Thanks!

I have talked to some people from these schools from Ca who made it back, they just said it was difficult(one in particular got back through connections). Anyone with any experience with this? Maybe not Ca, but another western state?

Work the waitlists. That's your best option at this point aside from reapplying which is really what you should do. It's going to be hugely difficult to get back to CA from these two schools because they are so far down the food chain for CA hiring.

Thanks! I applied this cycle as early as you can. That's what I am doing to the best of my ability, I have done everything immaginable to get off the waitlists and am just waiting them out. Some schools have done a round of rejections from them and didn't reject me so I guess that's a good thing. Hoping!!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun May 15, 2011 11:57 pm

I never understand the "I suck at big tests/I just choke" justification for not retaking. Law school exams are "big tests," you could very well "just choke" on them too. You don't get to study for, and retake law school exams 3 or more times. You do get to study for, and retake the lsat 3 or more times...

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 16, 2011 12:03 am

Aqualibrium wrote:I never understand the "I suck at big tests/I just choke" justification for not retaking. Law school exams are "big tests," you could very well just choke" on them too. You don't get to study for, and retake law school exams 3 or more times. You do get to study for, and retake the lsat 3 or more times...

I was scoring in the 98th percentile on pt's then dropped a significant amount on the real thing mulitple times(I cannot take it again nor do I want to).

I have never choked or whatever you want to call it on exams in school so I'm not too worried about that happening(of course it's possible), I really can't say exactly what happened on this test, anxiety is my best guess.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 am

Peace of Mind wrote:I was scoring in the 98th percentile on pt's then dropped a significant amount on the real thing mulitple times(I cannot take it again nor do I want to).

If you were really scoring 170+ on PTs under actual timed testing conditions (because that's the 98th percentile), then I'm afraid you'd be psychotic to attend either of these schools. Suck it up and send a request to a LS to sponsor you to take it a 4th time in October, if necessary.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 am

Peace of Mind wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Why would you go to these schools with the intention of practicing in california? If you show up at an interview in California and tell the employer it has always been your intention to work in california he/she will think you lack common sense in moving to Pennsylvania for law school. It isn't really an issue of whether you can break into the market or whatever. Anyone can break into any market if he/she is determined. But it just doesnt make much sense.

I have wanted to live outside of California(I've never lived anywhere else) for law school from the beginning to get that experience since I was unable to do so in undergrad. I also told myself to go to the best school I get into and got so many fee waivers I figured why not apply?! However, I did only apply to schools that I could see myself at or in cities I could see myself living in. There is no common sense lacking here; I know if won't be easy, to think so would be lacking common sense.

Do NOT listen to Mr. Anon here. Plenty of students attend law schools far from the regions in which they intend to practice. Employers understand students' reasons for going far from home - good scholarships, good programs, highly ranked schools, chance to experience something different, etc. I am in CA and am going back to NY. I have a friend at Penn who are going to TX to practice. I could go on and on and on with examples.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 am

IzziesGal wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Why would you go to these schools with the intention of practicing in california? If you show up at an interview in California and tell the employer it has always been your intention to work in california he/she will think you lack common sense in moving to Pennsylvania for law school. It isn't really an issue of whether you can break into the market or whatever. Anyone can break into any market if he/she is determined. But it just doesnt make much sense.

I have wanted to live outside of California(I've never lived anywhere else) for law school from the beginning to get that experience since I was unable to do so in undergrad. I also told myself to go to the best school I get into and got so many fee waivers I figured why not apply?! However, I did only apply to schools that I could see myself at or in cities I could see myself living in. There is no common sense lacking here; I know if won't be easy, to think so would be lacking common sense.

Do NOT listen to Mr. Anon here. Plenty of students attend law schools far from the regions in which they intend to practice. Employers understand students' reasons for going far from home - good scholarships, good programs, highly ranked schools, chance to experience something different, etc. I am in CA and am going back to NY. I have a friend at Penn who are going to TX to practice. I could go on and on and on with examples.

Wait, so because you know a few students at Berkeley and Penn who have offers in various parts of the country, Temple and Villanova make sense for California? How interesting.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:22 am

IzziesGal wrote:Do NOT listen to Mr. Anon here. Plenty of students attend law schools far from the regions in which they intend to practice. Employers understand students' reasons for going far from home - good scholarships, good programs, highly ranked schools, chance to experience something different, etc. I am in CA and am going back to NY. I have a friend at Penn who are going to TX to practice. I could go on and on and on with examples.

Not to mention that NY is perhaps the easiest single market to reach without ties. Apples =/= oranges.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 am

Rising 2L at Villanova. I know some of my classmates are planning on going back to California after they graduate. I think they're all morons for trying, but the more that leave my market the better. I would highly recommend against this.

Also, you will NOT qualify for in-state at Temple after a year.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:33 am

Neither will get you Cali.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 16, 2011 12:34 am

Peace of Mind wrote:I want to do Public Interest, ADA, or work for the government.

Govt. is barely hiring in CA. Enjoy PA.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon May 16, 2011 12:43 am

You guys all missed my point. Mr. Anon is making the general point that OP will be viewed as lacking common sense because she attended law school outside the region she ultimately wants to practice in. That's just patently untrue. People attend law schools all around the country for different reasons....no one is going to think she's crazy for going to school on the east coast for a little while. I never said anything about her job prospects in CA coming out of those schools, either. I just commented on the "omg you must go to school where you want to practice" piece.
Last edited by IzziesGal on Mon May 16, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon May 16, 2011 12:44 am

Damnit I can't use my iPad to respond on here. Sorry - my response above was not supposed to be embedded like that.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 16, 2011 12:54 am

sundance95 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:I was scoring in the 98th percentile on pt's then dropped a significant amount on the real thing mulitple times(I cannot take it again nor do I want to).

If you were really scoring 170+ on PTs under actual timed testing conditions (because that's the 98th percentile), then I'm afraid you'd be psychotic to attend either of these schools. Suck it up and send a request to a LS to sponsor you to take it a 4th time in October, if necessary.

Yes I really was scoring that high. I'm sure you can imagine how devastated I was when I got my scores. If I don't get in off the waitlist at the other schools I will take you advice into serious consideration. Thank you!

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Mon May 16, 2011 12:58 am

A lot of people who go to Yale don't even end up practicing in Connecticut.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 am

Last edited by Peace of Mind on Mon May 16, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”