Pepperdine or UC Hastings or USD

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pepperdine Hastings or USD

Pepperdine
7%
University of San Diego
34%
Hastings
59%

Total votes: 29

thebauss

Pepperdine or UC Hastings or USD

Postby thebauss » Sun May 15, 2011 9:29 pm

25,000 a year to Pepperdine (top 1/3 class condition)

30k a year to USD (top 1/3 condition)

Just accepted off the waitlist for Hastings and they want deposit by Tuesday (May 17th). Haven't gotten any financial aid info yet but from what I hear they give around 10k need based aid. Seems expensive, is it worth paying alot more for the slightly higher ranking.

Waitlisted at Davis and Notre Dame(top choice)

Would like to practice in Southern California most likely big firm.

What do you guys think?

JamMasterJ

Re: Pepperdine or UC Hastings or USD

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 16, 2011 12:31 am

Those stips are too high to rely on maintaining. If you get any money at H, this seems easy, and I would probably still choose it with little to no money if retake and reapply is not an option. BTW, good luck on the NDLS waitlist; I'm on there too

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Mon May 16, 2011 1:04 am

I guess the sensible way to look at those top 1/3 stipulations would be to give yourself the whole amount for the first year and then one third for the next two. So, the estimated receipt is 56%, so you're getting 14k a year a pepperdine and 17k a year at USD. If you get 10k a year for Hastings, I think Hastings wins hands down.

Edit: Also, if you're a CA resident, you're basically already getting 10k a year. Send in your deposit.

thebauss

Postby thebauss » Mon May 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Anyone else have any input? Doesn't look like Pepperdine is getting any love.

I wish Hastings gave me the fin aid info before they wanted $500

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Mon May 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Go with Hastings, especially if you want to practice in CA. While the ranking difference between Hastings and USD is not that large, (15 spots, I believe?) the reputation gap among California attorneys and judges is enormous. Hastings was a top-20 school in the 80s, so many of the older attorneys still hold it in very high esteem. I would be at Hastings in the fall if UCI hadn't accepted me with a 40% scholarship.

That plus the fact that San Francisco is one of the coolest cities in the US, and you've got a clear winner.

thebauss

Postby thebauss » Mon May 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Hmm makes sense...I definitely need to go up and check hastings out....How do you think job prospects will be returning to LA/SD after Law School?

thebauss

Postby thebauss » Sat May 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun May 22, 2011 4:40 am

thebauss wrote:Hmm makes sense...I definitely need to go up and check hastings out....How do you think job prospects will be returning to LA/SD after Law School?

from most accounts here, getting to socal from hastings is not hard at all, relatively speaking.

kristyk

Postby kristyk » Mon May 23, 2011 1:35 pm

If you haven't already, I would call Pepperdine and USD and ask how many students typically retain their scholarships after 1L. They should be able to tell you and that might help inform your decision.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

i think i read USD is open to negotiating down the stip? have u tried doing that?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 pm

1. You probably won't be working at a big firm out of any of these schools so adjust your expectations accordingly.

2. All these options are pretty bad. Assuming you do get 10k/year from Hastings (which is definitely not a guarantee since their grant funds for this year are probably minimal this late in the cycle), then all of these schools are probably going to cost you about the same. That's because you are more likely to lose your scholarship to Pepp/USD than you are to keep it. Meaning at all of these schools you are very likely to be saddled with 150k+ worth of debt.

3. If Hastings gave you 10k/year in guaranteed need based aid then I'd probably take that (UCH is still good for SoCal). If not, I'd probably take your favorite of Pepp or USD and start praying to your deity of choice that you make top 1/3. I'd also counsel that it might be worth it to drop out of Pepp/USD if you go there and end up losing your scholarship since it will cost so damn much.

However the real best option is to retake/reapply (if it is possible) since these options are pretty abysmal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”