Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School Should I Choose?

Poll ended at Mon May 16, 2011 1:41 am

Hastings
14
50%
Loyola
9
32%
Pepperdine
5
18%
 
Total votes: 28

octneedy
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby octneedy » Sun May 15, 2011 12:33 am

Turn of events, got a call from William and Mary and was offered a spot off their wait list. Thank you for all the help...man this was one crazy cycle! :D
Last edited by octneedy on Sat May 21, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby Lasers » Sun May 15, 2011 1:08 am

stipulations on those schollys?

i'd go with loyola right now, since you're aiming for socal.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:25 am

POLL.
Also what are the stips. Regardless though, I think Hastings is out of the question especially since you want SoCal.

octneedy
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby octneedy » Mon May 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Does anyone know for Hastings vs. Loyola which one has better job prospects in So Cal? Will going to Loyola give me a better advantage for finding work in LA?

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby thegreatk » Tue May 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Lasers wrote:stipulations on those schollys?

i'd go with loyola right now, since you're aiming for socal.


This is terrible advice. Hastings has a far superior reputation in California, both northern and southern, despite the small ranking difference.

Also, assume you WON'T maintain your scholarship....since, after all, a majority of people do not end up in the top 1/3 of their class.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby bk1 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:17 pm

These are all pretty awful options.

Hastings is the best school by far but at sticker it is way too pricey. On the other hand Loyola is decent but the fact that a majority of the time (2/3 in fact) you are going to lose your scholarship means you are more likely to be paying sticker in years 2 and 3 than you are not.

The best option is to retake/reapply and aim for more money from Davis/Hastings/Irvine (because these schools don't have stipulations like Pepperdine/Loyola) or UCLA/USC/lowerT14 if you must pay sticker.

Out of these options I would take Loyola and pray to any deity you can think of to keep your scholarship, possibly dropping out if you lose your scholarship after your first year.

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby nematoad » Tue May 17, 2011 7:29 pm

bk1 wrote:These are all pretty awful options.



TLS has warped your mind, bk. Awful is a awfully strong word. OP, all of these options are gambles. Gamble that you'll find a job, gamble that you'll keep your $$. If you've got a retake in you, u should try it out. Did you not get any need based $ from Hastings?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby bk1 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:33 pm

nematoad wrote:TLS has warped your mind, bk. Awful is a awfully strong word. OP, all of these options are gambles.


I think they are awful because they are sticker (Hastings) or close to it (Pepperdine/Loyola since OP has a higher chance of paying sticker in years 2/3 than not paying sticker due to top 1/3 stipulations) at schools where it is hard to justify going to them considering how bad of a gamble they are.

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby nematoad » Tue May 17, 2011 7:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
nematoad wrote:TLS has warped your mind, bk. Awful is a awfully strong word. OP, all of these options are gambles.


I think they are awful because they are sticker (Hastings) or close to it (Pepperdine/Loyola since OP has a higher chance of paying sticker in years 2/3 than not paying sticker due to top 1/3 stipulations) at schools where it is hard to justify going to them considering how bad of a gamble they are.


I see your point but it's all relative. I would agree these aren't the best though. OP, if you're going next year for sure, I'd take Hastings. Bk is right that it is more likely than not that you will end up paying sticker in years 2/3 at Loyola and Pepperdine. And apparently Hastings has some name recognition, or something.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby 071816 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 pm

These are definitely not awful options. If anything they are risky. I say Loyola because even if you lose your scholarship after 1L it will probably still come out cheaper than Hastings sticker plus SF cost of living. If you want southern CA (especially LA), Loyola is definitely your best bet here. If you want bay area, then Hastings is the answer. I don't see Pepperdine coming out as the winner under any scenario here.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby Lasers » Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 pm

thegreatk wrote:
Lasers wrote:stipulations on those schollys?

i'd go with loyola right now, since you're aiming for socal.


This is terrible advice. Hastings has a far superior reputation in California, both northern and southern, despite the small ranking difference.

Also, assume you WON'T maintain your scholarship....since, after all, a majority of people do not end up in the top 1/3 of their class.

no it isn't. when i posted that, the stipulations weren't even posted yet, thus me asking if there were any. my advice was based on the fact hastings at sticker is not better than loyola with 69k (especially for socal).

however, with the top 1/3 stip, it's a much harder decision, because hastings is a better school in CA (like you said) and because it will be very hard to bank on fulfilling those stips.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby reverendt » Tue May 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Top 1/3 is a mighty tough stipulation. The odds are firmly against you keeping your scholarship....I don't care how smart you are or how hard you plan to work.
See if you can bargain your way out of that stipulation.
How much is Hastings?

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby Lasers » Tue May 17, 2011 8:41 pm

reverendt wrote:Top 1/3 is a mighty tough stipulation. The odds are firmly against you keeping your scholarship....I don't care how smart you are or how hard you plan to work.
See if you can bargain your way out of that stipulation.
How much is Hastings?

at sticker, in-state? about 60k total (tuition+living expenses) per year.

octneedy
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby octneedy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Cool, just got an email from Hastings saying that I'll be getting a 10k grant for school.

I'm a California resident btw.

edit: Loyola is about 46k tuition a year and Hastings is 38k~39k so w/the schollys my first year will be 23k for loyola and around 28k for Hastings. (Does Hastings offer USHIP waivers? that'll save me like 2k a year since I have health/dental insurance already)
Last edited by octneedy on Tue May 17, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

octneedy
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby octneedy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:50 pm

chimp wrote:These are definitely not awful options. If anything they are risky. I say Loyola because even if you lose your scholarship after 1L it will probably still come out cheaper than Hastings sticker plus SF cost of living. If you want southern CA (especially LA), Loyola is definitely your best bet here. If you want bay area, then Hastings is the answer. I don't see Pepperdine coming out as the winner under any scenario here.


lol, yeah I've pretty much ruled Pepperdine out completely.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby reverendt » Wed May 18, 2011 11:08 am

octneedy wrote:Cool, just got an email from Hastings saying that I'll be getting a 10k grant for school.

I'm a California resident btw.

edit: Loyola is about 46k tuition a year and Hastings is 38k~39k so w/the schollys my first year will be 23k for loyola and around 28k for Hastings. (Does Hastings offer USHIP waivers? that'll save me like 2k a year since I have health/dental insurance already)

I'd say Hastings then.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby Rotor » Wed May 18, 2011 11:32 am

octneedy wrote:(Does Hastings offer USHIP waivers? that'll save me like 2k a year since I have health/dental insurance already)

Check the waiver requirements carefully before counting the $ since your coverage has to be better than SHIP in each respect.

That said, that small a difference wouldn't entice me to pick Loyola over Hastings, since UCH does have the better rep state-wide and the stipulation at Loyola is very risky (also I'm definitely a NorCal homer).

User avatar
Bob.Loblaw
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby Bob.Loblaw » Wed May 18, 2011 4:48 pm

reverendt wrote:Top 1/3 is a mighty tough stipulation. The odds are firmly against you keeping your scholarship....I don't care how smart you are or how hard you plan to work.

It's not about how smart or how hard you work? Man, who's *beep* do I need to suck then!? :shock:

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby reverendt » Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Bob.Loblaw wrote:
reverendt wrote:Top 1/3 is a mighty tough stipulation. The odds are firmly against you keeping your scholarship....I don't care how smart you are or how hard you plan to work.

It's not about how smart or how hard you work? Man, who's *beep* do I need to suck then!? :shock:

Well it's blind grading....so it'd be sort of a gloryhole-style anonymous suck!

User avatar
Bob.Loblaw
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby Bob.Loblaw » Wed May 18, 2011 6:04 pm

reverendt wrote:
Bob.Loblaw wrote:
reverendt wrote:Top 1/3 is a mighty tough stipulation. The odds are firmly against you keeping your scholarship....I don't care how smart you are or how hard you plan to work.

It's not about how smart or how hard you work? Man, who's *beep* do I need to suck then!? :shock:

Well it's blind grading....so it'd be sort of a gloryhole-style anonymous suck!

Blind grading doesn't disregard intelligence or hard work to that extent. Someone's has got to be in the top 1/3. Purdy mouth or not, if my skills is the talk of the town I'm going to get ahead. :wink:

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby uzpakalis » Wed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Why all the Pepperdine hate? Is it significantly worse than Loyola/Hastings? If so, why?

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby 071816 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:21 pm

uzpakalis wrote:Why all the Pepperdine hate? Is it significantly worse than Loyola/Hastings? If so, why?


Loyola and Pepperdine are pretty similar and since Loyola would be cheaper, there is no reason for OP to choose Pepperdine. Even if cost was the same for both I would still choose Loyola though.

octneedy
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby octneedy » Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Bob.Loblaw wrote:
reverendt wrote:Top 1/3 is a mighty tough stipulation. The odds are firmly against you keeping your scholarship....I don't care how smart you are or how hard you plan to work.

It's not about how smart or how hard you work? Man, who's *beep* do I need to suck then!? :shock:


Yes, I am also curious as to y everyone believes it's impossible to score in the top 1/3 and maintain your scholarship.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Hastings vs. Loyola$$$ vs. Pepperdine$$

Postby Lasers » Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 am

octneedy wrote:
Bob.Loblaw wrote:
reverendt wrote:Top 1/3 is a mighty tough stipulation. The odds are firmly against you keeping your scholarship....I don't care how smart you are or how hard you plan to work.

It's not about how smart or how hard you work? Man, who's *beep* do I need to suck then!? :shock:


Yes, I am also curious as to y everyone believes it's impossible to score in the top 1/3 and maintain your scholarship.

it isn't impossible. you just simply can't bank on doing so.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests