UNLV for a total of $15,000 or ASU for a total of $57,000

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

ASU or UNLV

Arizona State
56%
University of Nevada Las Vegas
44%

Total votes: 16

RVP11

Re: UNLV for a total of $15,000 or ASU for a total of $57,000

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 am

Adamofthewest wrote:Median private starting salary at ASU is $120,000 and UNLV is $80,000

Go ahead and forget these: they're nowhere near accurate.

At either school probably at least 50% of people will struggle to get a job in the private sector, and less than 10% will make those 120k/80k numbers immediately after graduation.

NVResident

Postby NVResident » Mon May 16, 2011 5:42 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
For these 2 options I would take ASU. One Arizona>Nevada as a place to live and at least ASU is a decent school overall, UNLV is not a good school in any light.

While UNLV might not be an elite program, after only being in existence a bit over a decade and being ranked 4th in the country for legal writing, 9th for dispute resolution and 22nd for Art III judicial clerkships I fail to see how you can say that it "is not a good school in any light".

For the OP, I would agree with most of the posters that the choice depends on where you see yourself practicing your career. For all the posters negative comments about Las Vegas, please keep in mind that there is far more to Nevada than just Las Vegas. The Reno/Tahoe area is one of the most beautiful in the country. If you are an avid outdoor sports fan it is hard to beat the hiking, fishing, camping, snow skiing, kyacking, and myriad other activities offered here. Where else can spend a Spring day hitting the ski slopes in the morning and the golf course in the afternoon. I hate to sound like a commercial, but I think the place is hard to beat.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:46 pm

NVResident wrote:
For these 2 options I would take ASU. One Arizona>Nevada as a place to live and at least ASU is a decent school overall, UNLV is not a good school in any light.

While UNLV might not be an elite program, after only being in existence a bit over a decade and being ranked 4th in the country for legal writing, 9th for dispute resolution and 22nd for Art III judicial clerkships I fail to see how you can say that it "is not a good school in any light".

For the OP, I would agree with most of the posters that the choice depends on where you see yourself practicing your career. For all the posters negative comments about Las Vegas, please keep in mind that there is far more to Nevada than just Las Vegas. The Reno/Tahoe area is one of the most beautiful in the country. If you are an avid outdoor sports fan it is hard to beat the hiking, fishing, camping, snow skiing, kyacking, and myriad other activities offered here. Where else can spend a Spring day hitting the ski slopes in the morning and the golf course in the afternoon. I hate to sound like a commercial, but I think the place is hard to beat.

LOL at using USNWR specialty rankings.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Mon May 16, 2011 6:23 pm

NVResident wrote:

In all fairness though, doesn't Pacific predominately place into Tahoe/Reno area and not UNLV?

NVResident

Postby NVResident » Mon May 16, 2011 7:20 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:
NVResident wrote:

In all fairness though, doesn't Pacific predominately place into Tahoe/Reno area and not UNLV?

Before UNLV started the law school this was definitely the case. Now that the school is established, and given it's better rankings and the fact that is is a far less expensive in-state institution, Boyd has largely replaced Pacific as the leading school for people from NW Nevada. This doesn't mean that there isn't still a large Pacific presence in Reno, just that the trend has moved towards Boyd. Most of the big law firms in the state have offices in both Reno and LV and their personnel regularly travel back and forth for work (easy 1hr commuter flight) as the political center of the state is in the north, while the economic center is in the south.

Postby 005618502 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:36 pm

NVResident wrote:

None of that means anything. And honestly UNLV is not a good school. Their UG isn't, their LS isn't, and I dont know of any of their other schools. I means overall there is no program at UNLV that is good. I dont mean specialties that dont mean anything.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”