Chicago-Kent v. Loyola Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Kent V. Loyola Chicago

Kent
39%
Loyola
61%

Total votes: 33

StacyStrong

Chicago-Kent v. Loyola Chicago

Postby StacyStrong » Sat May 14, 2011 12:11 am

This is assuming COA is the same.

Please, don't tell me to retake. It's not an option and I don't want to hear it for the 397293871239712 time.

JamMasterJ

Re: Chicago-Kent v. Loyola Chicago

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat May 14, 2011 12:56 am

It depends on what area you want to practice and how much you trust Kent's recent rise from TTT

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sat May 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Loyola, DePaul and Chicago-Kent are all on roughly the same level. Most people recommend Loyola as carrying the strongest name of the three. However, like the poster above said, Chicago-Kent is an IP Law powerhouse.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sat May 14, 2011 1:58 pm

If you will be paying sticker for these places, and, as you say, RETAKE is not on the table, then I say DON'T GO.

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Sat May 14, 2011 2:17 pm

I won't be paying sticker for either and I've also decided to live at home so I won't have COL. (for the most part)

kasjkgfakga
Last edited by StacyStrong on Sat May 14, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Sat May 14, 2011 2:21 pm

I'm also not opposed to doing an LLM part time upon graduation and from my understanding Kent has a good LLM program? I could be misinformed..

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Sat May 14, 2011 6:37 pm

the difference is negligible. tour both schools and see what you think

Snape

Postby Snape » Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 am

mrtoren wrote:Loyola, DePaul and Chicago-Kent are all on roughly the same level. Most people recommend Loyola as carrying the strongest name of the three. However, like the poster above said, Chicago-Kent is an IP Law powerhouse.

I think OP has an interesting definition of "Law Powerhouse"--if you mean that top 5% may have a chance at decent paying legal work then I understand your definition....otherwise I'm not so sure....if you must go now and cant retake (doubtful and probably not a great deciions) then all I can say is that Loyol's location is much more pleasant...

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Snape wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Loyola, DePaul and Chicago-Kent are all on roughly the same level. Most people recommend Loyola as carrying the strongest name of the three. However, like the poster above said, Chicago-Kent is an IP Law powerhouse.

I think OP has an interesting definition of "Law Powerhouse"--if you mean that top 5% may have a chance at decent paying legal work then I understand your definition....otherwise I'm not so sure....if you must go now and cant retake (doubtful and probably not a great deciions) then all I can say is that Loyol's location is much more pleasant...

TITCR.

None of these schools are a "powerhouse" of anything. DePaul is regarded below both LUC and Kent, but kent and LUC are pretty much equal so visit each and see what gives you a better feel.

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Turns out Kent is going to be a bit cheaper.

So, I think my decision is made..

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Chicago Kent does have a program where they pay you like 30k to go to their law school I remember reading about. It would be a great opportunity if you didn't care about practicing law after graduation.

dood

Postby dood » Mon May 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Snape wrote:

pretty sure that was a joke.

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Chicago Kent does have a program where they pay you like 30k to go to their law school I remember reading about. It would be a great opportunity if you didn't care about practicing law after graduation.

Oh, God.

People like you drive me nuts.

Yeah, you're right. NO ONE practices law after graduating from Kent. NO ONE.
In fact, BIG LAW is the ONLY KIND OF LAW. T-14 or DIE.

What was I thinking?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 17, 2011 7:59 am

StacyStrong wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:Chicago Kent does have a program where they pay you like 30k to go to their law school I remember reading about. It would be a great opportunity if you didn't care about practicing law after graduation.

Oh, God.

People like you drive me nuts.

Yeah, you're right. NO ONE practices law after graduating from Kent. NO ONE.
In fact, BIG LAW is the ONLY KIND OF LAW. T-14 or DIE.

What was I thinking?

No biglaw? Doomed to a life of mediocracy. Especially with a 130k loan, you'll be making less than an elementary school teacher.

Hth.

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 am

It's a good thing I won't have a 130k loan!

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue May 17, 2011 8:10 am

Cost of attending being the exact same, I would choose Loyola and there is no question in my mind. I was going to attend Loyola until Kent came back and increased my scholarship by $20k. Both are good, solid regional schools that will land you jobs in Chicago if you place well in the class.

Would I pay full sticker and cost of living in Chicago for either of these schools? Most likely not but thank god I don't have to.

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 am

aknecht wrote:Cost of attending being the exact same, I would choose Loyola and there is no question in my mind. I was going to attend Loyola until Kent came back and increased my scholarship by $20k. Both are good, solid regional schools that will land you jobs in Chicago if you place well in the class.

Would I pay full sticker and cost of living in Chicago for either of these schools? Most likely not but thank god I don't have to.

Yeah, I just found out Kent is offering me more money, so going to Kent will be cheaper, even if I don't keep the scholly.

With that said, I'm not paying COL at all, which brings down my loans a considerable amount.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue May 17, 2011 8:20 am

StacyStrong wrote:
aknecht wrote:Cost of attending being the exact same, I would choose Loyola and there is no question in my mind. I was going to attend Loyola until Kent came back and increased my scholarship by $20k. Both are good, solid regional schools that will land you jobs in Chicago if you place well in the class.

Yeah, I just found out Kent is offering me more money, so going to Kent will be cheaper, even if I don't keep the scholly.

With that said, I'm not paying COL at all, which brings down my loans a considerable amount.

sounds like you and I are very much in the same boat. Having family to stay with is going to make my living expenses minimal. I'm looking @ tuition price the first year of $8k and then whatever living expenses on top of that. You're choosing Kent then?

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Tue May 17, 2011 8:22 am

Sounds like we are in the EXACT same situation.

Yeah, I believe so. I did just email Dean Krent asking about additional aid or gpa stipulation reduction. Either way, it's still cheaper to attend Kent, but it never hurts to ask. (though, I realize how late in the cycle it is)

Kent for you as well?

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Tue May 17, 2011 8:23 am

I even had already paid my deposit at Loyola, so this is all very last minute for me.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 am

StacyStrong wrote:Sounds like we are in the EXACT same situation.

Yeah, I believe so. I did just email Dean Krent asking about additional aid or gpa stipulation reduction. Either way, it's still cheaper to attend Kent, but it never hurts to ask. (though, I realize how late in the cycle it is)

Kent for you as well?

yup. Loyola said no when I asked them to increase their offer to half of what Kent offered me. No brainer.... going to Kent!

they won't reduce stips at all but they might increase the amount.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue May 17, 2011 8:25 am

StacyStrong wrote:I even had already paid my deposit at Loyola, so this is all very last minute for me.

I did too. I had my mind all made up and set on Loyola and then the new offer from Kent came through and I rethought everything and changed my mind.

StacyStrong

Postby StacyStrong » Tue May 17, 2011 8:30 am

Are you going to the thing on the 19th?

I was going to but I work till 6 and I don't think I can get off.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue May 17, 2011 8:35 am

StacyStrong wrote:Are you going to the thing on the 19th?

I was going to but I work till 6 and I don't think I can get off.

I'm still living in DC so I won't be able to make it. The next time I'll be there is for orientation sadly.

Snape

Postby Snape » Tue May 17, 2011 8:58 am

BE CAREFUL about stpiluated scholarships to Kent!!! They tend to have high expectations and they have a low (2.9 I believe) curve...you are probably thinking: "but Im coming in as a scholarship student and have better numbers so I should be able to keep those numbers"...BUT, Kent is also notorious for placing all of their stipulated scholarship students in the same section to fight it out against each other. By doing so they know that a substantial (predetermined) number of their stipulated scholarships will be lost...I would not go to Kent wihtout a guranteed 3 year scholarship....well I wouldnt go there anyways but...you hopefully get my drift...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”