Michigan vs. NYU (I used 'search' first, I promise!)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan or NYU?

Poll ended at Mon May 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Michigan
32%
NYU
68%

Total votes: 34

saguaro

Michigan vs. NYU (I used 'search' first, I promise!)

Postby saguaro » Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 pm

I was all set on going to Michigan until NYU accepted me on Thursday (yay!) but now I have to decide by next Monday... while my parents are in town... during my graduation week (boo!)

Important anecdotal information:
I concentrated in "copyright" as an undergrad - publishing, media, technology, etc., and I'm planning to focus on IP in law school.

My post-J.D. plan is: clerkship - NY Biglaw - academia/public policy

What's making this decision difficult:
I went to NYU undergrad, and I'm worried that NYU Law is going to be a lot like NYU 2.0 (same friends, etc). I was impressed by the friendliness of the students and administration at Michigan (personal e-mails from Dean Z? Heck yes). But... I love New York, and I plan on ending up here as soon as I'm done with law school.

Advice about going to law school at your undergrad alma mater would be especially helpful. Are there any statistics I should know about, other than employment ones (which I've already made a spreadsheet of)?

I'm still waiting on finaid information, so for now, assume costs are equal.

protein

Re: Michigan vs. NYU (I used 'search' first, I promise!)

Postby protein » Fri May 13, 2011 11:36 pm

NYU, if you want NY biglaw. No question

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri May 13, 2011 11:39 pm

saguaro wrote:I was all set on going to Michigan until NYU accepted me on Thursday (yay!) but now I have to decide by next Monday... while my parents are in town... during my graduation week (boo!)

Important anecdotal information:
I concentrated in "copyright" as an undergrad - publishing, media, technology, etc., and I'm planning to focus on IP in law school.

My post-J.D. plan is: clerkship - NY Biglaw - academia/public policy

What's making this decision difficult:
I went to NYU undergrad, and I'm worried that NYU Law is going to be a lot like NYU 2.0 (same friends, etc). I was impressed by the friendliness of the students and administration at Michigan (personal e-mails from Dean Z? Heck yes). But... I love New York, and I plan on ending up here as soon as I'm done with law school.

Advice about going to law school at your undergrad alma mater would be especially helpful. Are there any statistics I should know about, other than employment ones (which I've already made a spreadsheet of)?

This is pretty clear cut then.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri May 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Are you paying sticker at both schools?

mcdad

Postby mcdad » Fri May 13, 2011 11:58 pm

My daughter faced pretty much the same situation: New York city undergrad, plans to return to NYC and eventually Academia. She picked Michigan for the reason you mention: she wanted something different after four years in NYC. BTW, she loved her first year at Michigan. Oh, she got aid as well.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat May 14, 2011 2:19 pm

saguaro wrote:Important anecdotal information:

I think the assumption of equal cost is a bad one, even if you had no money from Michigan it would still be cheaper. You are unlikely to get more from NYU than UM.

What makes you want to focus on IP with what sounds like a non-science background? Your career goals sound a little disjoint.

I think the big question is location, you will probably fare better in NYC at NYU then at UM, but how much is that worth to you?

lawis4foolios

Postby lawis4foolios » Sat May 21, 2011 4:46 pm

yes, of course being in nyc will help with NYC biglaw since you are there and it is eaiser to network (but remember, everyone there will be doing it vs at UM, it is not expected since your are in AA) but honestly going to UM will not hurt your chances of going to NYC big law. that being said, i've seen a lot of people going to another school post ugrad simply to meet more friends and expand your network since a lot of ppl who have many friends in NYC tend to stick with their pre-law friends.

anyhow, i don't think you can go wrong at either school so good luck with your search!

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Enjoy NYU.

arthur

Postby arthur » Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 pm

the clear answer is NYU!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”