Duke or UW, Please help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke vs. UW

Poll ended at Sat May 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Duke (w >$70k scholarship)
93%
UW (Sticker)
7%

Total votes: 46

cougar84

Duke or UW, Please help!

Postby cougar84 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:50 pm

I have an urgent decision to make: Duke or UW? Here is my situation: I live in Washington State and am hoping to live in Boise, ID in the future, but not necessarily directly after law school (but the sooner, the better). My second choice would be Palo Alto or the San Francisco area (unfortunately, I have not been accepted to Stanford). I have not decided what type of law I want to practice.

Duke has been easy to work with (read: Priority Track), and generously offered me a substantial scholarship (>$70k). UW initially placed me on a waitlist, but called yesterday with an offer of admission. I need to make my decision by tomorrow (5/13). At this time, they have not offered a scholarship, but the director of admissions there informed me that there is a grant of $6k/year available for in-state students with zero family aid (per the FAFSA, which I would qualify for my 2L and 3L years). Aside from this grant, the scholarship from Duke means that my COA would be roughly equal (including consideration of travel expenses to the Southeast vs. high living expenses in Seattle). Also, if I went to UW, I could work for another month and save, since they don’t start until September.

I have already paid a seat deposit at Duke, paid a deposit for an apartment, and have reserved a U-haul trailer for the move, totaling about $1,000 in sunk costs. My girlfriend (and hopefully soon to be fiancé) lives in Washington State and will be staying here for the first year, so she could come visit more often if I choose to live in Seattle. Moving there and back would also be much less expensive. However, the chance of her finding a job in Seattle is low, while there is a chance that she could transfer within her company to the Raleigh/Durham area.

I am leaning towards Duke, but am hoping that considering my situation and future goals, TLS users may be able to provide some insight on which school I should choose. Thank you in advance.

BlueDiamond

Re: Duke or UW, Please help!

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 12, 2011 1:55 pm

all I saw was the poll and the first paragraph and I'm already convinced youd be crazy not to take Duke.. I wasnt even sure what UW was til I read that.. assumed wisconsin-madison but then realized Washington.. youd be crazy to take UW at sticker over a Duke scholly imo

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu May 12, 2011 2:07 pm

cougar84 wrote:I have an urgent decision to make: Duke or UW? Here is my situation: I live in Washington State and am hoping to live in Boise, ID in the future, but not necessarily directly after law school (but the sooner, the better). My second choice would be Palo Alto or the San Francisco area (unfortunately, I have not been accepted to Stanford). I have not decided what type of law I want to practice.

Duke has been easy to work with (read: Priority Track), and generously offered me a substantial scholarship (>$70k). UW initially placed me on a waitlist, but called yesterday with an offer of admission. I need to make my decision by tomorrow (5/13). At this time, they have not offered a scholarship, but the director of admissions there informed me that there is a grant of $6k/year available for in-state students with zero family aid (per the FAFSA, which I would qualify for my 2L and 3L years). Aside from this grant, the scholarship from Duke means that my COA would be roughly equal (including consideration of travel expenses to the Southeast vs. high living expenses in Seattle). Also, if I went to UW, I could work for another month and save, since they don’t start until September.

I have already paid a seat deposit at Duke, paid a deposit for an apartment, and have reserved a U-haul trailer for the move, totaling about $1,000 in sunk costs. My girlfriend (and hopefully soon to be fiancé) lives in Washington State and will be staying here for the first year, so she could come visit more often if I choose to live in Seattle. Moving there and back would also be much less expensive. However, the chance of her finding a job in Seattle is low, while there is a chance that she could transfer within her company to the Raleigh/Durham area.

I am leaning towards Duke, but am hoping that considering my situation and future goals, TLS users may be able to provide some insight on which school I should choose. Thank you in advance.

The bay area is a tough market for any school to crack at the moment, but I suspect your chances are far better at Duke than UW. This is even more true for Idaho, as long as you have ties there.

This data is old, but the relationship between Duke and UW should be similar:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf

The only plausible case for attending UW is if you want to work in Seattle and you get a full scholarship.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu May 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Dude, this isn't even close, go to Duke.

cougar84

Postby cougar84 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Thank you for these responses. I definitely have ties to Idaho, and if Duke gives me a better chance of getting back there, with a great education, then I guess I am sold. I just didn't know if UW's regional strength is greater than Duke's national reputation when looking at the northwest, specifically Idaho. And I really didn't want to go to the only law school in Idaho...

protein

Postby protein » Thu May 12, 2011 2:36 pm

19-0

2007 Patriots

o wait

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu May 12, 2011 2:38 pm

protein wrote:19-0

2007 Patriots

o wait

haha, suck it Pats.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu May 12, 2011 2:45 pm

cougar84 wrote:Thank you for these responses. I definitely have ties to Idaho, and if Duke gives me a better chance of getting back there, with a great education, then I guess I am sold. I just didn't know if UW's regional strength is greater than Duke's national reputation when looking at the northwest, specifically Idaho. And I really didn't want to go to the only law school in Idaho...

Then I suggest you contact your Idaho ties to address your question. Your issue is very specific and unusual, and I think that, while most of us would ASSUME that Duke is your best option, we simply don't know.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 pm

There are very few firms in Boise, you would have to do a lot of networking even if you went to UW.

Duke is a better way to sell yourself as long as you have ties.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Based on the info. in your post, Duke seems to be the better choice.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Duke is definitely TCR. Duke would probably be TCR unless you got a full ride + stipend to UW

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu May 12, 2011 3:02 pm

this isn't even a choice.

masochist

Postby masochist » Thu May 12, 2011 3:21 pm

This is not even close.

If you absolutely HAD to live in Seattle, you might be better off at Washington with a scholarship. That isn't the case here. I very much doubt UW's regional advantage extends to the four legal jobs in Boise, and Duke will be a significantly better bet in 47 of the remaining 50 states. Also, a couger becoming a Huskie! For shame :evil:

See you in Durham. I am glad to hear that there will be another PNW native in the class.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu May 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Interestingly enough, one of the guys in my section is targeting Boise, as well. He got a job there this summer and seems like he'll be well positioned to lock down something good for next summer, too. You just need to make sure you reach out to people in the fall and start building relationships before things start getting busier in late December and January.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”