Can't decide: Pitt $$ vs. Temple $ vs. Drexel $$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JMD84

Can't decide: Pitt $$ vs. Temple $ vs. Drexel $$$$

Postby JMD84 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey all...I could use some advice between these three schools. I know Drexel isn't the best choice but they offered me almost a full ride, while Pitt offered me 12k, and Temple only 2,500 for the first year. Location isn't too much of an issue because I wouldn't mind working in Pittsburgh or Philly. Any advice would help, thank you!!

x7227

Re: Can't decide: Pitt $$ vs. Temple $ vs. Drexel $$$$

Postby x7227 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:49 pm

JMD84 wrote:Hey all...I could use some advice between these three schools. I know Drexel isn't the best choice but they offered me almost a full ride, while Pitt offered me 12k, and Temple only 2,500 for the first year. Location isn't too much of an issue because I wouldn't mind working in Pittsburgh or Philly. Any advice would help, thank you!!

I was in almost exactly the same position earlier in my cycle. I went with Temple and I don't regret it. Drexel's money is very enticing (supposing you got the same almost full scholarship that I got), and had they offered more, I might be there right now. But I sat down, looked at the total picture of CoA, and saw that Drexel would be something like 27,500 a year (including CoA) and Temple would be ~35,000. I decided that a 7,500/yr difference the two was not that much money over the course of a career and went with Temple. For me, having Temple's extensive alumni network alone is well worth the difference in cost each year, and that doesn't even speak to the strength of their program (which I found much more rigorous than Drexel's). While I really enjoyed Drexel's focus on experiential learning, the slightly lower cost was not worth the greatly increased risk of not finding a job. Even if you thought the programs were completely equal, how much would you pay for a lifetime of networking v. having to forge the network yourself? Over the course of a 40 year career, I'd say ~$500 a year is well worth having that built in opportunity to network.

In terms of overall CoA Pitt was, again, slightly lower than Temple, but I enjoyed Temple much more than I enjoyed Pitt, so I went with Temple. That one was really a "feel" decision and I could easily see people going the other way.

TL;DR Go Owls! (But I can understand the pull of the Dragon or the Panther).

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 12, 2011 3:41 pm

I would be very, very careful about going to Drexel. There are six law schools that send significant numbers of graduates to Philadelphia, and Drexel is the worst of all of them in terms of job opportunities. Do you get in state at Temple?

JMD84

Postby JMD84 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:56 am

Yes, I would pay in state tuition for Temple. Thank you both for the help!

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri May 13, 2011 11:42 am

JMD84 wrote:Yes, I would pay in state tuition for Temple. Thank you both for the help!

With in-state, Temple is not backbreaking. Temple places the best and has the strongest rep. I vote temple. However, if no stipulations on keeping Drexel scholarship, and your goal is to work in local gov/pi or local small firm then it may be the best choice. It is a risk, but it is not risking too much money. You have to see how much of a difference there is total.

gjr8891

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:47 am

I vote for Pitt even though Temple is a great school. And, a full-ride at any law school would definitely have tremendous benefits after you graduate but, ultimately, you should go to the best school you can (and I'm not sure Drexel is it.) Of course, choosing which one is best for you is a decision that can only be made by you. Visit all three and see which one just feels right.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri May 13, 2011 1:31 pm

This is essentially Philadelphia versus Pittsburgh. Choose between Temple and Pitt accordingly.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri May 13, 2011 6:32 pm

If you're in-state, I vote Temple. Their alumni network crushes Drexel's (and crushes Penn's alumni network in the city of Philadelphia, too).

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Mon May 16, 2011 2:35 am

Drexel is the TTTT of the city. I'd go to Widener before I went to Drexel. I think there's one or two resident Drexel apologists wandering around TLS who we usually just ignore.

Honestly, if location isn't an issue, I think Pitt might be the better option here (anyone, feel free to correct me). You're competing with essentially one other school (Duquesne) which isn't highly regarded. Maybe Penn State, too. You're not in a situation where you're fighting with four other schools for the scraps left by the local Ivy, only to have some other dog from GW come and take them anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”