Georgetown v. Northwestern

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Georgetown or Northwestern!

Georgetown
42%
Northwestern
58%

Total votes: 66

sweetclementine

Re: Georgetown v. Northwestern

Postby sweetclementine » Thu May 12, 2011 1:57 pm

From the Bay Area, but I went to school at UCLA and still live in LA (1 year post-grad). Right now I'm in West Hollywood. I loooove California, but I am also SO ready for something new. Will assuredly miss the weather/fabulousness though :)

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 12, 2011 2:51 pm

sweetclementine wrote:I'm also surprised at how many people here seem super into Chicago. I always hear about it as a super all-american-meat-and-potatoes-type of city. Maybe I am not giving it enough of a chance... but DC seems SO much more cosmopolitan and international and interesting to me...

Here are some data points wildly anecdotal and unreliable impressions sure to be heavily influenced by my own cognitive biases and irregular sample to balance this out.

I live in Virginia. About a year or two ago, I considered taking a job in DC. I talked to a lot of people about it and the responses I got were 50/50 mixed between "why would you want to move there?" and "It's a pretty fun city."

Now, when I tell people I'm moving to Chicago, the responses are 25% "It's a pretty fun city" and 75% "That is my favorite city in the world."

YMMV.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu May 12, 2011 2:57 pm

sweetclementine wrote:From the Bay Area, but I went to school at UCLA and still live in LA (1 year post-grad). Right now I'm in West Hollywood. I loooove California, but I am also SO ready for something new. Will assuredly miss the weather/fabulousness though :)

Either city (DC/Chicago) will be a big change for you. I came to DC from Seattle a years ago and it took some adjustment.

DC weather isn't anything like SoCal weather, but the winters aren't nearly as bad as Chicago. Though once it gets to the point where I have to wear a jacket and don't want to be outside, I honestly don't care that much if it's 30* or 10*.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Bumi wrote:
sweetclementine wrote:I'm also surprised at how many people here seem super into Chicago. I always hear about it as a super all-american-meat-and-potatoes-type of city. Maybe I am not giving it enough of a chance... but DC seems SO much more cosmopolitan and international and interesting to me...

Here are some data points wildly anecdotal and unreliable impressions sure to be heavily influenced by my own cognitive biases and irregular sample to balance this out.

I live in Virginia. About a year or two ago, I considered taking a job in DC. I talked to a lot of people about it and the responses I got were 50/50 mixed between "why would you want to move there?" and "It's a pretty fun city."

Now, when I tell people I'm moving to Chicago, the responses are 25% "It's a pretty fun city" and 75% "That is my favorite city in the world."

YMMV.

Full disclosure: I was born in a suburb of Chicago and have lived in the city for several years at this point. And I've only really visited DC a couple times and mostly did tourist shit. So I'm completely biased. :D

Having lived in both New York and Chicago, that's the most relevant comparison I can give. Chicago is kind of like New York at a lower volume. It's cleaner, less noisy, less crowded, you get more living space for your rental/mortgage dollars, etc. The people are actually kind of meat-and-potatoes on some level? But I think that's just reflected more in how people go about their business. You still have everyone from world class surgeons to a thriving techno scene here. But there's less ostentatious displays of wealth or fame I guess. The city doesn't lack for people trying to push the boundaries.

I also don't really know what cosmopolitan and international mean to you. The cultural life in Chicago is far more vibrant and diverse than DC. As far as international... you can get any type of food you want around here, there's plenty of opportunities to see foreign movies, foreign music acts come through, there are foreign language bookstores, there are plenty of foreign tourists around...

I guess I'm not sure how a city gets qualified as international. Chicago is certainly not as international as New York. But the type of international you get in DC, with embassies and such, really won't impact you as a student or a resident. Like, I don't know if you can choose between an Argentine or a Brazilian steakhouse in DC, whereas you can here in Chicago (or go Peruvian or Colombian or Cuban or Guatemalan if you're not set on steak).

It sounds like you should probably visit.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu May 12, 2011 3:15 pm

ahduth wrote:I also don't really know what cosmopolitan and international mean to you. The cultural life in Chicago is far more vibrant and diverse than DC. As far as international... you can get any type of food you want around here, there's plenty of opportunities to see foreign movies, foreign music acts come through, there are foreign language bookstores, there are plenty of foreign tourists around...

I guess I'm not sure how a city gets qualified as international. Chicago is certainly not as international as New York. But the type of international you get in DC, with embassies and such, really won't impact you as a student or a resident. Like, I don't know if you can choose between an Argentine or a Brazilian steakhouse in DC, whereas you can here in Chicago (or go Peruvian or Colombian or Cuban or Guatemalan if you're not set on steak).It sounds like you should probably visit.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT DISAGREE WITH ALL OF THE BOLDED. You have clearly not spent a lot of time in DC (which to be fair, you did admit).

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu May 12, 2011 3:31 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
ahduth wrote:I also don't really know what cosmopolitan and international mean to you. The cultural life in Chicago is far more vibrant and diverse than DC. As far as international... you can get any type of food you want around here, there's plenty of opportunities to see foreign movies, foreign music acts come through, there are foreign language bookstores, there are plenty of foreign tourists around...

I guess I'm not sure how a city gets qualified as international. Chicago is certainly not as international as New York. But the type of international you get in DC, with embassies and such, really won't impact you as a student or a resident. Like, I don't know if you can choose between an Argentine or a Brazilian steakhouse in DC, whereas you can here in Chicago (or go Peruvian or Colombian or Cuban or Guatemalan if you're not set on steak).It sounds like you should probably visit.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT DISAGREE WITH ALL OF THE BOLDED. You have clearly not spent a lot of time in DC (which to be fair, you did admit).

This all depends on what you value. A lot of ethnic things that ahduth pointed out are available in the DC area, but in order to have access to the good ethnic dining you need to drive out to the suburbs, so they aren't DC per se. I think DC gets a lot of unique cultural things because of the embassies and government agencies, but it doesn't get some of the things that require critical masses of people with similar interests (the population center is too small/spread out).

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu May 12, 2011 3:47 pm

bdubs wrote:This all depends on what you value. A lot of ethnic things that ahduth pointed out are available in the DC area, but in order to have access to the good ethnic dining you need to drive out to the suburbs, so they aren't DC per se. I think DC gets a lot of unique cultural things because of the embassies and government agencies, but it doesn't get some of the things that require critical masses of people with similar interests (the population center is too small/spread out).

you guys are crazy (i say this in the nicest possible way), DC proper has TONS of good ethnic dining, there is no need to go to the suburbs. I practically refuse to go to the suburbs because there is so much to do here I can never do everything I want to do in the city.

What do you even mean that it doesn't get some of the things that require critical masses of people with similar interests?

I don't mean for this to get into a DC vs. Chicago fight, and i dont think that's going to be super helpful to the OP, but GULC and DC get a lot of hate on these boards and I gotta do my part to defend them. DC is certainly not for everyone, but i'm a bit suspicious of anyone saying dc isn't as international or cultural as chicago.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:50 pm

As someone who has been to both places many times, DC is massively more international. More people from around the world, tons of Arabs and Ethiopians (who get counted as white and black). All the non profits attract masses of Europeans and Asians fo all sorts too, on top of just the government. Chicago is diverse, but in an all American sort of way. I found pretty much everyone who was not white or black (American white or black) that I met was attracted there by the schools, except for the strong Polish immigrant community.

Also, having "ethnic food" (which is a retarded term anyway) is no marker of international metropolitanism. Small towns in Iowa have Thai, Japanese, etc etc restaurants nowadays.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean to hate on DC. I'm skeptical it's "more international" than Chicago, but that of course all depends on what you mean by that term. I was more just trying to point out that Chicago is a big city with a lot of shit going on. It's not all just corn-fed midwesterners going to church lol.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 12, 2011 3:57 pm

hipstermafia wrote:DC vs. Chicago fight

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu May 12, 2011 4:10 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
bdubs wrote:This all depends on what you value. A lot of ethnic things that ahduth pointed out are available in the DC area, but in order to have access to the good ethnic dining you need to drive out to the suburbs, so they aren't DC per se. I think DC gets a lot of unique cultural things because of the embassies and government agencies, but it doesn't get some of the things that require critical masses of people with similar interests (the population center is too small/spread out).

you guys are crazy (i say this in the nicest possible way), DC proper has TONS of good ethnic dining, there is no need to go to the suburbs. I practically refuse to go to the suburbs because there is so much to do here I can never do everything I want to do in the city.

What do you even mean that it doesn't get some of the things that require critical masses of people with similar interests?

I don't mean for this to get into a DC vs. Chicago fight, and i dont think that's going to be super helpful to the OP, but GULC and DC get a lot of hate on these boards and I gotta do my part to defend them. DC is certainly not for everyone, but i'm a bit suspicious of anyone saying dc isn't as international or cultural as chicago.

I think it is relevant for OP to know about the cities. Like it or not DC proper is pretty small for a major city. There are only 600k residents and most of them live in the areas of the city where GULC students wouldn't even consider visiting.

As far as ethnic food I think Ethiopian is good in the city, but good asian food is certainly centered in the Fairfax area, and most of the good latin food is in Maryland. The nice parts of DC proper are generally too expensive for immigrant communities, and the other parts everyone is afraid of going to.

There are lots of things where the scene in DC is just weak because there are not enough people or places to do them. One thing that might be relevant is sports leagues. Chicago has a huge set of sports leagues for young people that are all over the city (http://www.chicagosportandsocialclub.com/), DC has a few but they are just not up to par and most people just end up playing kickball or something equally silly. There are plenty of other examples, but it's just generally a function of it being a smaller city.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu May 12, 2011 4:21 pm

bdubs wrote:I think it is relevant for OP to know about the cities. Like it or not DC proper is pretty small for a major city. There are only 600k residents and most of them live in the areas of the city where GULC students wouldn't even consider visiting.

As far as ethnic food I think Ethiopian is good in the city, but good asian food is certainly centered in the Fairfax area, and most of the good latin food is in Maryland. The nice parts of DC proper are generally too expensive for immigrant communities, and the other parts everyone is afraid of going to.

There are lots of things where the scene in DC is just weak because there are not enough people or places to do them. One thing that might be relevant is sports leagues. Chicago has a huge set of sports leagues for young people that are all over the city (http://www.chicagosportandsocialclub.com/), DC has a few but they are just not up to par and most people just end up playing kickball or something equally silly. There are plenty of other examples, but it's just generally a function of it being a smaller city.

still think you're crazy, but i'll stop my pro-dc trolling. if anyone needs restaurant suggestions for asian or latin food or sports leagues in dc, feel free to let me know and i'll point ya in the right direction.

sweetclementine

Postby sweetclementine » Thu May 12, 2011 4:35 pm

600K is a pretty small number, especially coming from LA. At the same time, being in a smaller city might be kind of nice...I literally don't visit my friends who live too many neighborhoods away from me because I don't want to spend 5 years in traffic to get there.

While I am still leaning towards Georgetown because of it's location, all the positive talk about Chicago is really interesting, and it's making me start to second-guess myself. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm in a place where I have to decide between a school and a city, and while a lot of people on this site might argue that the school and the class size and the ranking are the only thing that really matter, I think it's really important to be happy for the next 3 years, in addition to being successful in the years that follow. It sounds like I, and anyone, could be happy in Chicago, but considering the weather and the distance from Boston (everyone has ignored, probably on purpose, the "distance to Boston because serious boyfriend is going to MIT" criteria, but I certainly haven't forgotten about it, and call me a romantic, but I can't), I can't help but think I might be longing for the east coast.

Obviously, the solution here is to go to Columbia or NYU. If they would be so kind as to take me off their waitlists, I would know exactly what to do hahaa.

On the Boston note, does anyone with a better sense of the East Coast and the Midwest have any real insight on how much more convenient it really would be to travel from Dulles to Logan than from O'hare to Logan on the regs? And please don't respond calling me a dumb girl for caring about love... it won't change my mind :)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu May 12, 2011 4:42 pm

sweetclementine wrote:On the Boston note, does anyone with a better sense of the East Coast and the Midwest have any real insight on how much more convenient it really would be to travel from Dulles to Logan than from O'hare to Logan on the regs? And please don't respond calling me a dumb girl for caring about love... it won't change my mind :)

Dulles is kind of a pain to get to, but then again O'hare is no picnic either. If you have the option (money and availability), you will probably want to fly out of Reagan. Chicago doesn't have a similarly convenient airport (Midway also sucks).

If you are flying between the cities the distance is really not an issue, so i'm not sure why DC gets the nod there. Have you reviewed what the average ticket prices are? DC might be cheaper, but I really don't know since it is so route specific.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 12, 2011 4:52 pm

bdubs wrote:
sweetclementine wrote:On the Boston note, does anyone with a better sense of the East Coast and the Midwest have any real insight on how much more convenient it really would be to travel from Dulles to Logan than from O'hare to Logan on the regs? And please don't respond calling me a dumb girl for caring about love... it won't change my mind :)

Dulles is kind of a pain to get to, but then again O'hare is no picnic either. If you have the option (money and availability), you will probably want to fly out of Reagan. Chicago doesn't have a similarly convenient airport (Midway also sucks).

If you are flying between the cities the distance is really not an issue, so i'm not sure why DC gets the nod there. Have you reviewed what the average ticket prices are? DC might be cheaper, but I really don't know since it is so route specific.

Eh, you can take the El to either O'Hare or Midway. At the end of the day, you have to fly either way (or does the Acela go from DC to Boston).

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu May 12, 2011 4:57 pm

ahduth wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Eh, you can take the El to either O'Hare or Midway. At the end of the day, you have to fly either way (or does the Acela go from DC to Boston).

Yeah, but the El to O'hare cant beat the 20 minutes that it takes to get from Reagan into DC. Accela does run to Boston, but it's almost 7 hours and not super cheap.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 12, 2011 5:06 pm

bdubs wrote:Yeah, but the El to O'hare cant beat the 20 minutes that it takes to get from Reagan into DC. Accela does run to Boston, but it's almost 7 hours and not super cheap.

Yeah, I'm just saying either way it's a flight. It's not like she's choosing between Stanford and Harvard. An extra 20 minutes on the El is time she can use to study anyhow. I'm thinking this is not a point in either location's favor.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Okay let's be real about what we're talking about here. I did like 2 minutes of searching on the internet so let's just assume these are estimates.

If you go to Northwestern, you'll spend an hour on the whatever-color line and take a $250-ish flight that will take 2.5 hours.

If you go to Georgetown, it depends. You could save money and try to take what appears to be a cheaper flight out of BWI which could take you an hour on the whatever color line or on a bus, or you could take the expensive flight out of Reagan which would take 30 minutes on some form of metro. Either way, it's a $120-$200 ticket and a 90 minute flight.

So you'd be taking GULC over NU to save ~$100 and a couple of hours once a month, to see your current boyfriend (about whom I will mercifully withhold all hilarious jokes).

sweetclementine

Postby sweetclementine » Thu May 12, 2011 5:37 pm

mMm. The way you phrase that makes the idea sound silly. Maybe DC and Boston are far enough apart that the extra distance to Chicago is negligible, but that's a hard idea to get my head around. Interesting, though, for the choosing process.

Shit. This has only made me more confused...hahaa

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu May 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Bumi wrote:Okay let's be real about what we're talking about here. I did like 2 minutes of searching on the internet so let's just assume these are estimates.

If you go to Northwestern, you'll spend an hour on the whatever-color line and take a $250-ish flight that will take 2.5 hours.

If you go to Georgetown, it depends. You could save money and try to take what appears to be a cheaper flight out of BWI which could take you an hour on the whatever color line or on a bus, or you could take the expensive flight out of Reagan which would take 30 minutes on some form of metro. Either way, it's a $120-$200 ticket and a 90 minute flight.

So you'd be taking GULC over NU to save ~$100 and a couple of hours once a month, to see your current boyfriend (about whom I will mercifully withhold all hilarious jokes).

Furthermore, the idea that Chicago is some isolated, backwater town full of hillbillies compared with DC is just... ridiculous. Chicago is the third biggest city in the US, and that's if you're really calling LA a proper city rather than a huge amount of sprawl. It's silly to try and say Chicago or DC is better than the other - they're both great cities. These do not seem like the proper bases for deciding where you want to spend 200k to go to school for 3 years.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:15 pm

DC isn't a real city. No buildings.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:DC isn't a real city. No buildings.

See, now that is an actual argument that makes sense.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun May 15, 2011 6:41 pm

OP, where did you decide on?

sweetclementine

Postby sweetclementine » Sun May 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Hey...decided, today, on Northwestern. I realized I was picking the city and not the school, and I can't justify it and I don't really want to. I am REALLY excited for the atmosphere at NU from everything I've read and heard, and while I think GULC will be GREAT for some people, after going to one of the biggest universities in the country at UCLA for undergrad, I am so ready for a small class with more individual attention and love.

Now, to start the where-to-live-in-Chicago-omg-I-have-to-buy-a-whole-new-wardrobe phase.

Thank you everyone for your insights and support!!!

OP

Return to “Choosing a Law School”