Is Cornell worth sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is Cornell worth sticker if it's your only T14 option?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 167

bdubs

Gold

Re: Is Cornell worth sticker?

Post by bdubs » Thu May 12, 2011 11:15 am

aliarrow wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
Zeile wrote:Is any school worth going $200k in debt for?
ask doctors, dentist, vets, and airline pilots(<---possibly even more here for a much worse job outlook)
Is it 200k though?
Flight hours are expensive. Not sure that it is 200k expensive though. Anyone who goes to private flight school in this country is wasting their time, they always get beat out by the military pilots for the best jobs.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu May 12, 2011 11:23 am

spacepenguin wrote:
aliarrow wrote:Perspective is a funny thing.

Back when I was PTing 175s and figured I was a lock at CCN I kept thinking it would be insane to go to anything below T10 at sticker, especially something as expensive as Cornell.

Now that I got my 167, I'm pretty happy with BU at sticker, Cornell at sticker would be even better.

No matter what you think, your mind does these things automatically as your perspective changes based on your own relative position and personal interest.

Not to be an ass, and I'm sure you've already heard this....

But retake?

Edit: OP, Cornell is totally worth sticker. It places extremely well; and while a risky, it's still a solid investment.
I wonder what the common advice was before "retake" was a feasible option.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am

mrwarre85 wrote:To big law or bust types, Cornell at sticker is going to be worth it. Otherwise it may be or it may not be.

Texas is your best bet in this case though. How much are you going to knock back a year from your loans while paying to live in NYC?

Go to Texas, finish in the top half and get market rate in an area of the country where you can pay off that 110k in three years and still live very comfortably. If money is your main concern here, go to Texas. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston are all growing at like a 20% clip. This place is a land of opportunity, and it is big enough to accommodate people from all walks of life.
But if OP doesnt want to live in TX than Cornell offers a much better chance at working in one of the east coast big cities.

Personally, I also disliked Vandy, on visitation and would not want to go to TX no matter the money so I didnt even apply. Even if a given life is smarter financially, you must pick the one that you want. If it is the one with the higher risk, then you should take that one. Basically, I think that you should decide on if you can make Cornell work independant of the TX offer and see if that sounds like a good option, then do the same for TX. If the TX option does not sound good (because of the low chance of east coast, the location or whatever) then you should not take it. If Cornell does sound good even though there is a lot of risk, then take that path. You will have options such as IBR etc. out of Cornell so it is not as if if you miss the biglaw train that youre life is over.

Dont think so much about if Cornell is worth so so much money, think instead if Cornell offers the opportunities that you want at a risk that you are willing to take on. And then ask if TX does the same. Also,
mrwarre85 wrote:Go to Texas, finish in the top half and get market rate in an area of the country where you can pay off that 110k in three years and still live very comfortably. If money is your main concern here, go to Texas.
No, if money is your main concern, take the risk, finish in the top half of your class, go to NYC, work like a dog, make way more money in the financial capital of the world than you ever would have been able to in TX. People go to TX for QoL, big yards, and opportunity sure, but if money is your main concern, go to NYC where the money is.
Last edited by Law Sauce on Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 12, 2011 11:32 am

Law Sauce wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Go to Texas, finish in the top half and get market rate in an area of the country where you can pay off that 110k in three years and still live very comfortably. If money is your main concern here, go to Texas.
No, if money is your main concern, take the risk, finish in the top half of your class, go to NYC, work like a dog, make way more money in the financial capital of the world than you ever would have been able to in TX. People go to TX for QoL, big yards, and opportunity sure, but if money is your main concern, go to NYC where the money is.
LOL Texas biglaw pays $160k and the cost of living is dirt cheap, herp derpington.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 12, 2011 11:32 am

danquayle wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
aliarrow wrote:Perspective is a funny thing.

Back when I was PTing 175s and figured I was a lock at CCN I kept thinking it would be insane to go to anything below T10 at sticker, especially something as expensive as Cornell.

Now that I got my 167, I'm pretty happy with BU at sticker, Cornell at sticker would be even better.

No matter what you think, your mind does these things automatically as your perspective changes based on your own relative position and personal interest.

Not to be an ass, and I'm sure you've already heard this....

But retake?

Edit: OP, Cornell is totally worth sticker. It places extremely well; and while a risky, it's still a solid investment.
I wonder what the common advice was before "retake" was a feasible option.
Retake has always been a feasible option if your PT's were substantially different than your actual test. The average of 167 and 175 is 171, which would have made a huge difference back before the highest score reporting change.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 am

rad law wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
LOL Texas biglaw pays $160k and the cost of living is dirt cheap, herp derpington.

Houston and Dallas don't compare to living in NYC though...

Austin on the other hand would be an amazing deal...

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu May 12, 2011 11:36 am

rad law wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
They may start at around the same, but as a third or fourth year associate at a big NYC firm you will be making more than a third or fourth year associate at a big Dallas firm. And this is before bonuses which would not be equal. Not to mention that 160 is much easier to find in nyc than in dallas. (and it is certainly true that the big jackpots are in nyc)

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu May 12, 2011 11:53 am

rad law wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
Yeah, this argument is retarded if you start out with the assumption that the OP will get BigLaw either way. Cornell's BigLaw placement >> UT's.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rad law wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
Yeah, this argument is retarded if you start out with the assumption that the OP will get BigLaw either way. Cornell's BigLaw placement >> UT's.
I started with the assumption that money is the biggest concern. UT would only cost $110k. Texas is also one of those mythical markets that has actual midsize firms (or so I have been told), so just straight NLJ doesn't tell the whole story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Law Sauce wrote: They may start at around the same, but as a third or fourth year associate at a big NYC firm you will be making more than a third or fourth year associate at a big Dallas firm. And this is before bonuses which would not be equal. Not to mention that 160 is much easier to find in nyc than in dallas. (and it is certainly true that the big jackpots are in nyc)
Can't bank on even making it that far.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Thu May 12, 2011 12:09 pm

rad law wrote:
I started with the assumption that money is the biggest concern. UT would only cost $110k. Texas is also one of those mythical markets that has actual midsize firms (or so I have been told), so just straight NLJ doesn't tell the whole story.

From what I've heard by various UT students, Texas firms are really trying to push for more T-14 students.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 12, 2011 12:42 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
rad law wrote:I started with the assumption that money is the biggest concern. UT would only cost $110k. Texas is also one of those mythical markets that has actual midsize firms (or so I have been told), so just straight NLJ doesn't tell the whole story.
From what I've heard by various UT students, Texas firms are really trying to push for more T-14 students.
This may be true, but they're still going to be looking for people who are a good long-term fit for them. You can't just assume "oh, they're taking T-14 students, that means I'll have a good chance".

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu May 12, 2011 12:44 pm

mblueyahoo! wrote:
beachbum wrote:On paper: sure; it's a great school with solid job prospects. In practice: Ithaca.
Sure, but....

"blah blah." In practice: Durham.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
rad law wrote:I started with the assumption that money is the biggest concern. UT would only cost $110k. Texas is also one of those mythical markets that has actual midsize firms (or so I have been told), so just straight NLJ doesn't tell the whole story.
This may be true, but they're still going to be looking for people who are a good long-term fit for them. You can't just assume "oh, they're taking T-14 students, that means I'll have a good chance".

No, but if you have ties and are going to a T-14 school, you have a much(marginally?) better chance of getting biglaw in Texas than a UT grad; all other things equal.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:22 pm

From an expected future income of the JD v expected future income of alternative options for most in LS, yes, it is worth going 200k in debt from.

It's a gamble and some will get pwned, but the vast majority of Cornell grads over a lifetime will be fine.

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Thu May 12, 2011 3:08 pm

bdubs wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
ask doctors, dentist, vets, and airline pilots(<---possibly even more here for a much worse job outlook)
Is it 200k though?
Flight hours are expensive. Not sure that it is 200k expensive though. Anyone who goes to private flight school in this country is wasting their time, they always get beat out by the military pilots for the best jobs.

Yes to get to a level where you are not flying charters to the islands it is very expensive. I would have been a third generation airline pilot except my father as an international captain on a major main line carrier makes the same as what my grandfather made 20 years ago in the same position. Also do not go into the military thinking you are going to get hired by a major carrier or even a commuter carrier there are thousands of furloughed pilots out there with way more time on the right equipment than military guys.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 12, 2011 4:50 pm

spacepenguin wrote:No, but if you have ties and are going to a T-14 school, you have a much(marginally?) better chance of getting biglaw in Texas than a UT grad; all other things equal.
I agree with this, but it's presuming existing Texas ties. It's always been true that people with strong Texas ties could go to a T14 and go back to Texas, that just hasn't been such a large crowd until recently.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

bk187 wrote:There really isn't an objective answer to this question. Is it worth sticker? I guess, but it is still a risky decision at sticker (same goes for the rest of the lower T14).

In reality it comes down to your other options. Taking a T15-18 or a top regional at half price ($100,000 debt) would be a far less risky idea than a lower T14 at sticker.
Is the Jeedub 106k still on the table for you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”