PLEASE HELP! Tulane (sticker) vs. Marquette (33K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Tulane
50%
Marquette
50%

Total votes: 6

esoto88

PLEASE HELP! Tulane (sticker) vs. Marquette (33K)

Postby esoto88 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm

I was pulled off of Tulane's wait list today; unfortunately without a scholarship offer. I have only 24 hours to decide! Marquette was essentially serving as an insurance policy against not gaining admission to a "better" school, so I would sacrifice the seat deposit I've already made.

My aspirations, while still in the discovery process, are to work for a larger firm upon graduation (with all the financial benefits this entails). I don't mind practicing in either region, although I'd like to make my way further west near my home state of Colorado at some point. Both schools are more or less equidistant to my family. Also I despise the cold!

The only thing swaying my decision now is the $ issue- upfront and after graduation?

Thoughts?

bk1

Re: PLEASE HELP! Tulane (sticker) vs. Marquette (33K)

Postby bk1 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Tulane is not worth even close to the $192,000+ it would cost you to attend.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:28 pm

bk1 wrote:Tulane is not worth even close to the $192,000+ it would cost you to attend.

Honestly, +1. And neither has a shot of getting you a "larger firm with financial benefits" if that's your codename for BigLaw.

esoto88

Postby esoto88 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:39 pm

What would you guys recommend? My other options are CU-Boulder (in-state), University of Denver, Seattle U...

I'm not looking to be employed at an extremely high-ranked firm- but I am looking for something that will at least let me live decently with exorbitant student loans.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Since you want to end up back west, you should take Boulder. Paying $150,000 for Boulder is risky but it is the best offer you have.

Ideally I would recommend retaking and reapplying.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 pm

esoto88 wrote:What would you guys recommend? My other options are CU-Boulder (in-state), University of Denver, Seattle U...

I'm not looking to be employed at an extremely high-ranked firm- but I am looking for something that will at least let me live decently with exorbitant student loans.

Since you want to work in Colorado, I would take CU-B. It has pretty good biglaw placement and doesn't put you at risk of getting stuck in Louisiana or Michigan.

This is assuming you didn't get enough of a scholarship at Denver to make it cheaper than CU-B. If you did, or if you have a strong preference for working in Denver, then go to Denver.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”