Best Choice for Non-traditional Big Gov Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best Choice for DC Big Gov?

WUSTL (~$150k COA)
20%
William & Mary (~$123k COA)
60%
Boston College (~$134k COA)
20%

Total votes: 20

jcdc

New

Best Choice for Non-traditional Big Gov

Post by jcdc » Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 am

Last edited by jcdc on Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Law Sauce

Silver

Re: Best Choice for Non-traditional Big Gov

Post by Law Sauce » Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 am

I am no expert at all, but i'd probably take w&m if I were you if for nothing more than the closeness to DC and the ability to make better contacts. I think Wash U would be a bad choice for DC and while BC is a good name, it is strongest in boston and in private practice.

What are your numbers? If you are not a splitter and you think that you may be able to up your lsat by a few points and/or you can stay at your current job in the govt and make even more contacts, you should consider retake/reapplying and EDing to Georgetown. If you are on the waitlist now, perhaps with a slightly better lsat and an ED, you may get it. This also gives you another shot at GW. You can also polish up those essays if you didnt put tons of work into them the first time. Another possible strategy if you have good numbers would be to move to the Arlington area in va, keep working in dc and apply next year to uva with in state and an ED. Even at sticker though, GULC would probably be the best choice and would be a much better choice for you than the schools you have now. So I'd at least consider it.

If not, then I vote W&M, because it is the cheapest, the closest, and places the most in gov/DC (I believe, I could be wrong), if yo absolutely cant live in williamsburg then BC

jonillson

New

Post by jonillson » Wed May 11, 2011 11:44 am

jcdc wrote: Before anyone asks, I did not get into GW or American, although my #s were well above their medians. It may have been because hundreds of applicants were gov't employees like me and the schools wanted a diverse class... who knows?
Above GW's medians or above American's?

Better: numbers?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 am

jonillson wrote:numbers?

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed May 11, 2011 11:57 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
jonillson wrote:numbers?

I don't understand why this matters.
jcdc wrote: I've worked in DC in a well-respected position in the federal government for 4 years. I'd like to return to the federal government post-graduation, with the possibility of joining a firm (legal lobbying?) after 6+ years.
But my question is why do you want to leave your current job and go to law school, only wanting to return later? Lobbying doesn't require a JD. Also, why not a part-time program?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcdc

New

Post by jcdc » Wed May 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Last edited by jcdc on Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcdc

New

Post by jcdc » Wed May 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Last edited by jcdc on Wed May 25, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcdc

New

Post by jcdc » Wed May 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Last edited by jcdc on Wed May 25, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jonillson

New

Post by jonillson » Wed May 11, 2011 12:36 pm

jcdc wrote:I'm a 165/3.68 from a top-30 with extremely strong softs (aside from the WE), which don't seem to have mattered much in the admissions process. Do you think it's weird I got $ from each of the schools I got admitted to? Do you still think I should wait and reapply?
Not weird. At most all schools tuition is inflated so they can throw you a few bucks and make you feel like you're getting a deal. Of course, you're/we're not.

With your numbers, I would consider retaking and reapplying. Softs mean little, but if you could get your LSAT up a few points, you'd have an entirely different set of options in front of you. It's worth considering. Otherwise, I think you have to take W&M, but--I'm entirely sympathetic to your concerns about its location.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jonillson

New

Post by jonillson » Wed May 11, 2011 12:48 pm

jcdc wrote:I've thought hard about waiting a year and reapplying. The possibility of being in the same spot a year from now is hard to bear, though. The problem is that my LSAT is expiring, so if I took it again, I'd run the possibility of getting a lower score. I studied my butt off 5 years ago and scored 2-4 points below my practice tests, which I've been told is normal. Professionally, I've gotten pretty much as far as I can without a grad degree, so I doubt more WE would help. Also, at 26, I sort of feel like I should take the plunge if I'm going to have a legal experience before starting a family.
I'm sympathetic here, as well. I'm a couple of years older than you, and I wrestled with the question of whether to delay enrolling in the class of 2014 for a chance at better schools. Ultimately, I decided not to wait. But--and this is important--my GPA is nowhere near as good as yours. Had I been in your position, with your numbers, I almost certainly would have decided to wait, retake, and reapply. It's one year of your life. Yes, it's a gamble--especially if your score is set to expire--but it could make all the difference for your career. On the other hand, it sounds like you'll be able to take advantage of the professional network you've cultivated over the last few years once you re-enter the job market, so perhaps you could do better than most out of a school like W&M. Then again, I presume your professional network would only be that much wider, were you to take an additional year.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Retake in October. Apply in November.

If your October retake doesn't go well, retake again in December. Apply in January.

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Wed May 11, 2011 12:55 pm

im assuming you dont live in NOVA, otherwise your W&M COA would be much lower...

jcdc

New

Post by jcdc » Wed May 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Last edited by jcdc on Wed May 25, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed May 11, 2011 1:34 pm

jcdc wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:I am no expert at all, but i'd probably take w&m if I were you if for nothing more than the closeness to DC and the ability to make better contacts. I think Wash U would be a bad choice for DC and while BC is a good name, it is strongest in boston and in private practice.

What are your numbers? If you are not a splitter and you think that you may be able to up your lsat by a few points and/or you can stay at your current job in the govt and make even more contacts, you should consider retake/reapplying and EDing to Georgetown. If you are on the waitlist now, perhaps with a slightly better lsat and an ED, you may get it. This also gives you another shot at GW. You can also polish up those essays if you didnt put tons of work into them the first time. Another possible strategy if you have good numbers would be to move to the Arlington area in va, keep working in dc and apply next year to uva with in state and an ED. Even at sticker though, GULC would probably be the best choice and would be a much better choice for you than the schools you have now. So I'd at least consider it.

If not, then I vote W&M, because it is the cheapest, the closest, and places the most in gov/DC (I believe, I could be wrong), if yo absolutely cant live in williamsburg then BC
Thanks, Law Sauce. I've thought hard about waiting a year and reapplying. The possibility of being in the same spot a year from now is hard to bear, though. The problem is that my LSAT is expiring, so if I took it again, I'd run the possibility of getting a lower score. I studied my butt off 5 years ago and scored 2-4 points below my practice tests, which I've been told is normal. Professionally, I've gotten pretty much as far as I can without a grad degree, so I doubt more WE would help. Also, at 26, I sort of feel like I should take the plunge if I'm going to have a legal experience before starting a family.

I'm a 165/3.68 from a top-30 with extremely strong softs (aside from the WE), which don't seem to have mattered much in the admissions process. Do you think it's weird I got $ from each of the schools I got admitted to? Do you still think I should wait and reapply?
This is really entirely a personal decision. I dont think going to W&M or BC would really hurt you very much especially if you have contacts. It is unclear how much prestige is necessary for the jobs that you are shooting for in the first place.

Also studying your butt off is not the key the key is studying smart. If you studied smart (ie. pushed yourself, aggressively found your mistakes and worked on your weak points, used a book that taught you and gave you reasons for wrong and right answers like the powerscore bible series), then you should be content that you did as well as you could have. But if you are unsure if you did your best, its only a year. While it is a gamble, it could pay off big time (esp. given your gpa and softs). Then again it could not... That's why I said it was entirely a personal decision.

Note: you got YPed at American btw. They seem to do this to good candidates. Also, bk is right. If you retook you still could have two chances. Oct. and Dec.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”