Public v Private (GI Bill)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SemperLegal

Public v Private (GI Bill)

Postby SemperLegal » Tue May 10, 2011 10:52 pm

So I am accepted to NU ($), but I will have to defer due to a deployment. Before I defer I was thinking maybe its better to drop, reapply next year, and also apply to UM (did not apply this cycle), and UVa (waitlisted, regular admission) since the updated GI Bill may cover full tuition. Does anyone know how much the VA is actually paying for UVA and UM? Is it worth the risk?

Some Facts
This deployment is going to a bigger than usual soft, since I am going to be attached to a newsworthy and sexy unit.

Really loved NU, but a lot of money > NU

Want to do biglaw as long as possible--->In house, most interested in BK

Risk adverse

GPA:3.9
LSAT: 169 (No time for a retake)

JamMasterJ

Re: Public v Private (GI Bill)

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Can't you defer and still apply other places? That's what I'm doing at Ohio State - though I know NU's finicky about some things

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue May 10, 2011 11:58 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Can't you defer and still apply other places? That's what I'm doing at Ohio State - though I know NU's finicky about some things

I always thought deferring required you to commit kind of like a super ED, anyone know if this is true?

FYI

NU Website wrote:Are deferrals granted?
One-year deferrals are granted on a case-by-case basis. Historically, the Committee has granted a deferral for compelling reasons, such as unforeseen hardships or extraordinary opportunities. Please contact the admissions office by mail or fax to request a deferral.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 11, 2011 12:08 am

In most cases, a deferral is basically the same as putting a seat deposit down for next cycle, meaning that you have to deposit, but like with any seat deposit, you can still go elsewhere. Some schools may have different rules than others, but I know that Ohio State is allowing me to apply other places with them as a guarantee.

I would check with Northwestern because you got a good deal, but UM could end up being a great place for you and with the GI stuff and your awesome gpa, you might end up paying less there

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 11, 2011 12:08 am

In most cases, a deferral is basically the same as putting a seat deposit down for next cycle, meaning that you have to deposit, but like with any seat deposit, you can still go elsewhere. Some schools may have different rules than others, but I know that Ohio State is allowing me to apply other places with them as a guarantee.

I would check with Northwestern because you got a good deal, but UM could end up being a great place for you and with the GI stuff and your awesome gpa, you might end up paying less there

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:12 am

SemperLegal wrote:So I am accepted to NU ($), but I will have to defer due to a deployment. Before I defer I was thinking maybe its better to drop, reapply next year, and also apply to UM (did not apply this cycle), and UVa (waitlisted, regular admission) since the updated GI Bill may cover full tuition. Does anyone know how much the VA is actually paying for UVA and UM? Is it worth the risk?

Some Facts
This deployment is going to a bigger than usual soft, since I am going to be attached to a newsworthy and sexy unit.

Risk adverse

Do you qualify for a 100% of the GI Bill or will you after your deployment? If the answer is yes you know you will most likely be getting 37,500 from NU (just for tuition plus another 1000 for books and another 15k for living expenses). So you'd basically be getting 53K to go to NU (the COA is 70k) plus any need/merit based aid. Worse case scenerio you leave law school with 50k worth of debt. Spreaded over 10 years you're talking 6k a year. Not bad for a T14 law school.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:So I am accepted to NU ($), but I will have to defer due to a deployment. Before I defer I was thinking maybe its better to drop, reapply next year, and also apply to UM (did not apply this cycle), and UVa (waitlisted, regular admission) since the updated GI Bill may cover full tuition. Does anyone know how much the VA is actually paying for UVA and UM? Is it worth the risk?

Some Facts

Risk adverse

Do you qualify for a 100% of the GI Bill or will you after your deployment? If the answer is yes you know you will most likely be getting 37,500 from NU (just for tuition plus another 1000 for books and another 15k for living expenses). So you'd basically be getting 53K to go to NU (the COA is 70k) plus any need/merit based aid. Worse case scenerio you leave law school with 50k worth of debt. Spreaded over 10 years you're talking 6k a year. Not bad for a T14 law school.

Will be 90%, so no Yellow Ribbon. I am very grateful for my situation, but I keep thinking that at UVA and UM I would get a full-ride + stipend. Hate to sound greedy, but graduating with some money in the bank would be absolutely insane.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:46 am

A close friend and soon to be classmate at UVA, who is also a Marine vet, told me that GI will pay some small amount for private (~$17k, IIRC) or full in-state tuition. Since he's a Virginia resident, he'll be getting ~$42k. Clearly, the law was written when in-state tuition was far less than $17k. So, yeah, it would be a great financial decision from that respect.

Caveat: this is all hearsay and you'll obviously want to confirm this for yourself, but I am 100% certain that my friend understands what I describe above to be the situation re GI Bill and tuition.

Also: If you were able to 'move' to Virginia right before you deployed, you'd also be able to apply as an in-stater. Tough to imagine you not getting in if that were the case.
Last edited by sundance95 on Wed May 11, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Wed May 11, 2011 1:46 am

I think that with the latest amendments to the GI Bill in-state graduate school is covered 100%, so, because you have 90% eligibility, you should have 90% covered at both UVA and M. ight want to double check, but that's my understanding of it.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:50 am

Army2Law wrote:I think that with the latest amendments to the GI Bill in-state graduate school is covered 100%, so, because you have 90% eligibility, you should have 90% covered at both UVA and M. ight want to double check, but that's my understanding of it.

not exactly. You'll get 90% of instate tuition. IF the OP is not from Michigan or VA he'd owe more than 10%. That's after the deployment if he goes. If not then it's a much bigger number. Also deployments get cut short sometimes so don't just count on that 90% number. Plus I'm not sure where you're getting this stipend from. The only way that would come into play is with merit aid but if you're not getting merit aid from NU what makes you think you will get it from UVA or Michigan?

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 am

You're right. My mistake. Usually schools are pretty willing to give vets in-state from anecdotal evidence,though, FWIW.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed May 11, 2011 1:57 am

sundance95 wrote:A close friend and soon to be classmate at UVA, who is also a Marine vet, told me that GI will pay some small amount for private (~$17k, IIRC) or full in-state tuition. Since he's a Virginia resident, he'll be getting ~$42k. Clearly, the law was written when in-state tuition was far less than $17k. So, yeah, it would be a great financial decision from that respect.

Caveat: this is all hearsay and you'll obviously want to confirm this for yourself, but I am 100% certain that my friend understands what I describe above to be the situation re GI Bill and tuition.

Also: If you were able to 'move' to Virginia right before you deployed, you'd also be able to apply as an in-stater. Tough to imagine you not getting in if that were the case.

I'd rather keep my NYC address, BAH there is pretty doable. It used to be that tuition was based on the highest public UG tuition in the state you were attending school in. Due to a few amendments, starting next month it is capped at 17k if private (no matter the state) and 100% of the tuition if the school is public, the question that I am not sure has been defined fully by the VA is "are these based on undergrad tuition or actual tuition charged?"

Note: If its the latter than its $15,300+scholly @ NU vs. 40k(ish) @ UVA or UM, if I get in. {Plus living expenses in either case.} If I have to withdraw from NU to apply elsewhere is it worth the chance that UM and UVA ding me while NU either dings me or reduces the scholly?

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed May 11, 2011 1:58 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote: Plus I'm not sure where you're getting this stipend from. The only way that would come into play is with merit aid but if you're not getting merit aid from NU what makes you think you will get it from UVA or Michigan?

By saying stipend, I am trying to put BAH in layman's terms.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:03 am

SemperLegal wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: Plus I'm not sure where you're getting this stipend from. The only way that would come into play is with merit aid but if you're not getting merit aid from NU what makes you think you will get it from UVA or Michigan?

By saying stipend, I am trying to put BAH in layman's terms.

oh ok but just so you know it's actually possible to get a stipend, if you can get merit aid. I would have recieved free tuition plus about 20k a year (plus 22k in BAH) if I would have went to Berkeley because of the merit aid I recieved from them. It was very hard to turn that down.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:04 am

SemperLegal wrote:I'd rather keep my NYC address, BAH there is pretty doable. It used to be that tuition was based on the highest public UG tuition in the state you were attending school in. Due to a few amendments, starting next month it is capped at 17k if private (no matter the state) and 100% of the tuition if the school is public, the question that I am not sure has been defined fully by the VA is "are these based on undergrad tuition or actual tuition charged?"

Word, if they'll pay public even if you are an OOSer then that's the way to go. If not, though, VA residency is like a $15k scholly over three years. Anyway, best of luck & thanks for the service.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed May 11, 2011 2:10 am

sundance95 wrote:VA residency is like a $15k scholly over three years. Anyway, best of luck & thanks for the service.

Thanks everyone for the info, well wishes, and gratitude.
:mrgreen:

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Wed May 11, 2011 2:11 am

Good luck on the deployment.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:19 am

Army2Law wrote:Good luck on the deployment.

Yeah man be safe... I'm assuming you're Marines. They were the only other branch going out the wire with us.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”