UW or Richmond, tough choice Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Choices:

University of Wisconsin- Madison, ~37k a year
46%
University of Richmond- ~14k a year
54%

Total votes: 13

kyriosme

New

UW or Richmond, tough choice

Post by kyriosme » Tue May 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Looking for some advice, I'm down to either Wisconsin at full, out of state price, or Richmond with a 20k a year scholarship. I don't really have a geographic preference, and to be honest I'm really not sure what kind of law I want to do. I honestly want to go to Wisconsin but I'm not sure its worth going into such debt by paying almost three times as much. any advice?

Case2L

Bronze

Re: UW or Richmond, tough choice

Post by Case2L » Tue May 10, 2011 4:22 pm

What's the stipulation on the UR scholarship? Richmond's tuition is very high, and if you were to lose your scholarship, you could be up a creek without a paddle.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue May 10, 2011 5:30 pm

I think the stip at Richmond will be the guiding thing here. It sounds like you have a lot of uncertainty. If that's the case, you should be wary of putting on any more debt than you have to.

If the stip is no good, I'd say wisco though.

kyriosme

New

Post by kyriosme » Tue May 10, 2011 6:50 pm

thats the other thing, there are no conditions on the richmond scholarship other than that I stay a full-time student...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I say Richmond. Given the stips and low cost. Biglaw aside, I would imagine the job prospects are pretty similar. If you go to Richmond, don't expect to leave that region. Wisconsin has some reach in MPLS-SP and Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue May 10, 2011 8:32 pm

You might want to consider sitting out of law school entirely. There is nothing worse than attending a school completely out of your geographic area, except for perhaps attending a school completely out of your geographic area while not having passion for the subject...

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 pm

I voted for Richmond. UR will almost certainly not get you into the DC market, but it does have a strong presence and a decent reputation within Virginia. Besides the Richmond area, UR also opens up a lot of doors in the Hampton Roads region. Personally, I think this would be a great area to end up, and you will have relatively little debt (as compared to Wisco). However, if you are a midwestern guy and don't really care for central and southern VA, then I guess you should consider sticker at Wisco.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”