Poll: Law Schools I'm Applying To

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of these schools is in the best city?

UMN - Minneapolis
16%
UGA - Athens
16%
UTK - Knoxville
3%
UAZ - Tucson
5%
UNC - Chapel Hill
28%
Wake Forest - Winston-Salem
2%
Pitt - Pittsburgh
9%
American - Washington D.C.
22%

Total votes: 148

Fred_McGriff

Re: Poll: Law Schools I'm Applying To

Postby Fred_McGriff » Tue May 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Pricer wrote:Athens, GA.

TITCR

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Pricer wrote:Athens, GA.

Yeah, I like D.C. but American isn't really in D.C.

yeah, it's not like it's less than 5 miles from the White House...

Doesn't matter, it is not the same. You could say the same thing from MD and VA.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue May 10, 2011 3:07 pm

lol @ American

Go to GW or GULC unless you're going to WCL for free.

syntaxfree07

Postby syntaxfree07 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:45 am

DeeCee wrote:lol @ American

Oh shit it is the presitge police.

What a bright young critical thinker you must be.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed May 11, 2011 1:50 am

syntaxfree07 wrote:

Not that critical. UNC and American are basically peer schools.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:01 am

Lol at American not being in DC. It's only in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the whole city. The money up there is insane. If you are gonna knock it, knock it for being so far off the Metro.

Whoever said DC is a 'small city' is on point; after all, the city ends immediately at its arbitrary political boundaries. It's especially small when you compare to the other cities on this list. :roll: Hint-it probably felt small while you were there because you were afraid to go anywhere besides the Mall or the neighborhoods west of 18th Street.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed May 11, 2011 2:03 am

sundance95 wrote:Lol at American not being in DC. It's only in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the whole city. The money up there is insane. If you are gonna knock it, knock it for being so far off the Metro.

Whoever said DC is a 'small city' is on point; after all, the city ends immediately at its arbitrary political boundaries. It's especially small when you compare to the other cities on this list. :roll: Hint-it probably felt small while you were there because you were afraid to go anywhere besides the Mall or the neighborhoods west of 18th Street.

Absolutely.Slaughtered.

honestapplicant

Postby honestapplicant » Wed May 11, 2011 2:21 am

Last edited by honestapplicant on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:26 am

honestapplicant wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Damn right I would stay in the Mall/west of 18th street. Unlike the people who live east of 18th (aka poor minorities), I have a bright future. I'd rather not have it jeopardized by Tyrone from da hood

Overt racial prejudice--impressive.

chup

Postby chup » Wed May 11, 2011 3:04 am

honestapplicant wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Damn right I would stay in the Mall/west of 18th street. Unlike the people who live east of 18th (aka poor minorities), I have a bright future. I'd rather not have it jeopardized by Tyrone from da hood

Enjoy your week off.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:43 am

syntaxfree07 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Need numbers bro.

Which admissions board are you on? I'll send them in to your school.

nice burn... The force is strong in this one.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 11, 2011 3:46 am

mrwarre85 wrote:

No we don't, he just asked about the cities. I voted for Knoxville. I've never been to Athens, though.

Even if OP is just interested in ppl's opinions of what is the nicest city, more personal preference info. could be useful. But since this is in the context of choosing a law school (as the thread and forum titles indicate), more specific numbers and preference info could actually transform this thread so that it has a semblance of usefulness.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed May 11, 2011 7:40 am

Lawquacious wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

No we don't, he just asked about the cities. I voted for Knoxville. I've never been to Athens, though.

Even if OP is just interested in ppl's opinions of what is the nicest city, more personal preference info. could be useful. But since this is in the context of choosing a law school (as the thread and forum titles indicate), more specific numbers and preference info could actually transform this thread so that it has a semblance of usefulness.

Please don't attempt to turn this thread into a useful discussion of what professional school would be most appropriate for the OP's career goals.

Thanks.

syntaxfree07

Postby syntaxfree07 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am

ahduth wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

Please don't attempt to turn this thread into a useful discussion of what professional school would be most appropriate for the OP's career goals.

Thanks.

The point about personal preference information is partially correct. I'll try to elaborate: Some cities are absolute garbage dumps that no one from outside of them would ever want to go to. Examples of these cities are maybe... Gary Indiana, Detroit Michigan, and the like. Some cities are impossible to get around easily in--this is usually mostly because they are commuter cities but I guess there are a variety of reasons. Atlanta, GA comes to mind when thinking of places like that. Some cities have almost no distinct culture or identity--For some reason I think of places like Topeka and Omaha, though I've never been to either one. Places like Miami and Los Angeles are too rich and silly for my blood.

I definitely took some liberties in these descriptions but I think some of you will know what I'm talking about and will be able to help some. It is very important to me that I like where I live and can partially involve myself in the life of the community that I will be a part of. It is also very important for my girlfriend's sake. University of Iowa was on my short list of schools, but it is easy for me to understand that she wouldn't want to pack up and leave her family to move to Iowa City. I get that.

PS to Lawquacious: Useful to who?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed May 11, 2011 1:12 pm

MrKappus wrote:
syntaxfree07 wrote:

Not that critical. UNC and American are basically peer schools.

HURP DURP I IZ NOT CRITICAL THINKER U GOT ME!!!!!!!!!11

FYI I had the same choice and I picked UNC over American for so many reasons. One reason included not being seriously in debt for the rest of my life, since tuition is lower even without a scholarship. In fact, American was my #1 for a time this cycle because of the PIPS program, but I didn't get the full ride and American doesn't have a great rep compared to GW/GULC. That school is not worth full price and they are seriously stringy with money (the highest scholarship they give besides the PIPS is 10k, which is not enough). Their students, unless they are near the top of the class, get last dibs on jobs in D.C. and often fall behind UVa, GW, GULC, and even George Mason for jobs. If you want to have so-so prospects in D.C. and outside of D.C., go to American.

Personally, as an N.C. resident I'd take UNC any day of the week for the 17k tuition and lower COL. Also, UNC is highly respected in NC and gets more respect in it's region than American does in D.C. Like I said before ITT, if you're a resident or can get residency it is a fantastic deal. And one more point-- I also chose UNC over GW (sticker) and American (10k scholarship) since I have connections in NC and it was waayyyy cheaper. American, and even GW at full price are just not worth it unless you are not debt-averse.

Obviously these were my personal situations, but you can ask just about any regular on this site about American and they'd tell you something similar. Go to GW with scholly, maybe GULC at sticker, or don't go to D.C.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Athens or Chapel Hill would be my choice, although I have a friend who went to American for a year in undergrad before transferring and he said DC was great.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 11, 2011 9:16 pm

ahduth wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

Thanks.

sorry, didn't mean to disturb the focus of any aimless wanderers :lol:

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 11, 2011 9:23 pm

syntaxfree07 wrote:
ahduth wrote:Need numbers bro.

PS to Lawquacious: Useful to who?

Useful to a certain subsection of TLSers who may gain admissions enlightenment through the esoteric practice of relevancy awareness. Or useful to the OP, if actually interested in meaningful feedback related to prospective law school choices. :wink:

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 pm

I'd add Emory onto this list. For a hot minute they were my dream school, and if you could get into UGA, Emory is possible. Atlanta is awesome - cheap as hell, nice weather and the #1 ranked cheeseburger in the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyMo4KFrlyw

syntaxfree07

Postby syntaxfree07 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
sorry, didn't mean to disturb the focus of any aimless wanderers :lol:

Says the troll.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed May 25, 2011 8:51 am

I grew up in the mountains as well and can empathize with the desire to stay in a smaller city and stay in mountains. The Research Triangle in NC is a nice area (a little too hot for me), but I have a stigma against the whole state anyways, so my opinion there is tainted. Minneapolis is a cool city a but the winters get damn near arctic, so if you can handle it, all the power to you. DC proper is a really neat area, tons to do, but high CoL and if you live outside of the actual District, you fall into the issues of the Capitol Wasteland. Overpriced real estate, stop-go traffic on highways for 40 miles every direction, boring no character strip malls everywhere, etc.

I chose Pittsburgh. Great city, cost of living is reasonable, still in Appalachia, Pitt dominates the market there, and you get all 4 seasons.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:26 am

crossarmant wrote:I chose Pittsburgh. Great city, cost of living is reasonable, still in Appalachia, Pitt dominates the market there, and you get all 4 seasons.

I've been to half the cities on the list and know people in half the schools on the list. Here are my top three:

PGH is nice. Been here a few times. Realize you may be insular to Western PA (though aren't we supposed to avoid talking jobs and focus on city) and it's not a bad deal. The city can get a bit boring after a while, my friend hated it and he's from another boring rust-belt town. Visiting for a few weeks I was entertained.

A friend at UMN Law keeps us updated on when he sees the last bit of snow melt each year. There was still a pile of it in his parking lot on May 12th. But, that aside, the city is beautiful. It feels like a big city even though it may be statistically only the 20th biggest metro or something. And, "Minnesota Nice" is real.

DC is an awesome city in the mold of a smaller, less fashionable Paris, as Jefferson intended. Open spaces, low buildings, tons of free touristy stuff to do, lots of young people, tons of bars (think Cleveland Park area).

syntaxfree07

Postby syntaxfree07 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:18 pm

crossarmant wrote:I grew up in the mountains as well and can empathize with the desire to stay in a smaller city and stay in mountains. The Research Triangle in NC is a nice area (a little too hot for me), but I have a stigma against the whole state anyways, so my opinion there is tainted. Minneapolis is a cool city a but the winters get damn near arctic, so if you can handle it, all the power to you. DC proper is a really neat area, tons to do, but high CoL and if you live outside of the actual District, you fall into the issues of the Capitol Wasteland. Overpriced real estate, stop-go traffic on highways for 40 miles every direction, boring no character strip malls everywhere, etc.

I chose Pittsburgh. Great city, cost of living is reasonable, still in Appalachia, Pitt dominates the market there, and you get all 4 seasons.

Thank you very much. Pittsburgh is becoming a much more attractive place to me, recently. It is good to hear from someone with similar ideas.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu May 26, 2011 11:56 am

syntaxfree07 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I grew up in the mountains as well and can empathize with the desire to stay in a smaller city and stay in mountains. The Research Triangle in NC is a nice area (a little too hot for me), but I have a stigma against the whole state anyways, so my opinion there is tainted. Minneapolis is a cool city a but the winters get damn near arctic, so if you can handle it, all the power to you. DC proper is a really neat area, tons to do, but high CoL and if you live outside of the actual District, you fall into the issues of the Capitol Wasteland. Overpriced real estate, stop-go traffic on highways for 40 miles every direction, boring no character strip malls everywhere, etc.

Thank you very much. Pittsburgh is becoming a much more attractive place to me, recently. It is good to hear from someone with similar ideas.

I know everyone on here will yell "T14 or GTFO" but if you have the credentials to get into a really highly ranked school but really like Pittsburgh, you should be able to nab a full-ride at Pitt. If you're not into BigLaw and want to do some mid-sized legal work in a nice little city, then you can't go wrong with a free education from Pitt. Personally, I'd rather be a bigger fish in a little pond than a guppy in the ocean, but I grew up in SW Va.

syntaxfree07

Postby syntaxfree07 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:10 pm

crossarmant wrote:I know everyone on here will yell "T14 or GTFO" but if you have the credentials to get into a really highly ranked school but really like Pittsburgh, you should be able to nab a full-ride at Pitt. If you're not into BigLaw and want to do some mid-sized legal work in a nice little city, then you can't go wrong with a free education from Pitt. Personally, I'd rather be a bigger fish in a little pond than a guppy in the ocean, but I grew up in SW Va.

I'm not all that concerned with the (unbelievable amount of) people on this site whose terminal values are money and power. I'm pretty certain that Pitt will throw some money at me, but I have read a lot of horror stories about their career services department and poor facilities in the last few days.

I grew up in ETN and just don't see myself living in a big city for the rest of my life. I'm not sure that I will feel that way after having the experience in law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”