UCLA vs. BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vitapup

UCLA vs. BU

Postby vitapup » Sun May 08, 2011 4:20 pm

I had posted a similar topic awhile back when trying to decide between BU (15k$ a year) and GW (no $), but just when I thought I was ready to fully commit to BU, I found out that I was admitted to UCLA. I'm from NJ, want to study International Law (specifically the USA's interaction with China), and would ultimately like to end up in the NYC area after school.

It doesn't look like I'll get any $ from UCLA, but it's a higher ranked school than either BU and GW and seems to have a robust International Law Program with a strong focus on China. Would I be crazy to switch coasts and pay sticker at UCLA? Remember, at this stage of my life, I think I would like to return to the east coast. Even at sticker, I probably wouldn't have to take out many (or any) loans, but it would essentially drain me of my savings. So should it be UCLA or BU....or should I be giving GW another look?

Of course, all this agonizing over schools would be for nothing if I ever manage to get off of Colombia or NYU's waitlist.

Thanks!

dakatz

Re: UCLA vs. BU

Postby dakatz » Sun May 08, 2011 4:25 pm

For what its worth, I went to seminar with a woman who closes deals around the country for a large business, and she made it a point to tell us that there is no such thing as international law. As she would tell you, there is American law, and there is Chinese law.

If you want to end up on the east coast, particularly in NYC, you have a double reason to attend BU: scholarship and their east coast placement. You lose both if you go to UCLA to try and get into a field that many people will tell you doesn't even exist. Remember, BU is a very international and eclectic school in its own right.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun May 08, 2011 4:27 pm

vitapup wrote: =I'm from NJ, want to study International Law (specifically the USA's interaction with China)

Yeah you want to get PhD or something.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 08, 2011 4:32 pm

You want NYC and are offered a scholarship at BU. Go there. Congrats

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon May 09, 2011 4:36 pm

UCLA 45k isnt enough for me. West coast has more China related opportunities. Do you speak Chinese?
Better weather.
+ i dont trust BU's2011 biglaw stats.
UCLA has been more consistent in its biglaw placement over the pasts 5-10 years.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 09, 2011 5:47 pm

thexfactor wrote:UCLA 45k isnt enough for me. West coast has more China related opportunities. Do you speak Chinese?
Better weather.
+ i dont trust BU's2011 biglaw stats.
UCLA has been more consistent in its biglaw placement over the pasts 5-10 years.

Huh? BU has been consistently higher than that, the last statistics are lower. I actually don't trust that UCLA places any federal clerks, I think they count internships so I would be very suspect of them as well!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Wait until next year for NYU or Columbia.

Postby 83947368 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 10, 2011 12:02 am

BU is probably the choice here. Can I assume you've tried negotiating aid?

If so, and you want to stay on the east coast, BU>UCLA>GW.

And yes, international law doesn't exist. Sorry.

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue May 10, 2011 12:16 am

BU without any reservations - "international law" positions are taken by Yale grads. Period.

Dman

Postby Dman » Tue May 10, 2011 12:19 am

thexfactor wrote:UCLA 45k isnt enough for me. West coast has more China related opportunities. Do you speak Chinese?

I don't agree with this from a legal industry stand point. I am fluent in Chinese attending UCLA. From a government perspective, all fed regulatory/Policy work is done either at the ITC in NY or agencies in DC. From a big law perspective, Cali shops were mostly just litigation houses when it came to Chinese clients, all transactional or policy related stuff was farmed back east. IPO to NY, anti dumping/WTO stuff to NY/DC, etc. My experience was the 22 interviews I did at OCI, not a single local firm had a use for my language skills and when I discussed area of expertise that I gleaned from the website and local partner pages, they all said yeah...we don't really handle that. I however am not involved with IP or entertainment, so that area could be different.

There are tons of Chinese speaking individuals at UCLA however. Everyday I hear a wide range of accents, so that does keep things interesting.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”