Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dpk711

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:56 am

Why do you come to ask for advice when you clearly have no intention of listening to us? It looks like your going no matter what. So the best thing I can do is wish you good luck when you're unemployed.
/thread

ish2189

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:58 am

you're gonna make a great lawyer i hear uninformed snap judgments are a major boon. at least you've got the pompous dick down. /flame /ban? /foe.

i bet you love ayn rand.

and it's *you're, dick

edit: and don't even fuck with comma bullshit it's stream of consciousness /force

can i not lock this thread?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:08 am

Retake->get 167+->go to Vandy->work in Music City->go to New York

Neither Chicago Kent nor UNC will get you a job in the music industry in NYC or anywhere outside of either Chicago or North Carolina.

I know that you probably think all these people are being dicks, but right now your options and your attitude are setting you up for disappointment. Everyone thinks they can be top 10% and 90% of them don't make it. Everyone works hard in law school. Success isn't guaranteed.

If you go to UNC, prepare to work in North Carolina for the foreseeable future.

ish2189

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:09 am

Flips88 wrote:I know that you probably think all these people are being dicks

naw just one of em

thanks

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:11 am

ish2189 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Retake->get 167+->go to Vandy->work in Music City->go to New York
I know that you probably think all these people are being dicks

naw just one of em

thanks

Alternatively, music is super strong in Austin (UT) and L.A. (UCLA, USC).

ish2189

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:15 am

Flips88 wrote:
ish2189 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Retake->get 167+->go to Vandy->work in Music City->go to New York
I know that you probably think all these people are being dicks

naw just one of em

thanks

Alternatively, music is super strong in Austin (UT) and L.A. (UCLA, USC).

i wish i'd applied to UT, looking back.

the west coast gives me the willies. it's irrational but i'm a chicken. too many friends over here.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun May 08, 2011 4:20 am

What makes you so confident you will finish top 10%. Have you taken a law school class? Have you taken a law school exam ? Or is it just because you finished undergrad with (which is btw, not law school) a 3.6 and a middling LSAT score?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun May 08, 2011 4:25 am

I know some very intelligent people who went to Kent under these same false presumptions... they're unemployed.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun May 08, 2011 4:28 am

naterj wrote:I know some very intelligent people who went to Kent under these same false presumptions... they're unemployed.

Well I bet they weren't as smart as OP - he didnt even try in UG/LSAT and got a 3.6/161 8) And of course OP will try hard, unlike all the lazy fucks at Chicago Kent 8)

ish2189

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:36 am

this has all been very helpful -- kent shit scares me. i could take time off, it just sucks to be the bum who graduates and is chillin. on the other hand it could be awesome (long and short term).

i guess i'm sorta over it sandro, but basically, because i am very confident naturally, sometimes unreasonably so, and also because i am really, really smart. i don't want to toot my own horn, really, but the amount of work i've put into 4 years of undergrad (not proud, and it isn't law school but it's the only benchmark i've got) to end up top 15%(?we don't rank) strongly suggests to me that were i to do anything at all at kent i'd probably be able to shimmy my way up there. in the month of march i didn't work 4 hours -- i have no problem working 4+ hours a day in grad school. i'm not trying to brag and it doesn't much matter whether that statement will wind up true, but it's not like i can take a law exam right now to prove it so i guess this anecdote will have to do.

Edit:
Sandro wrote:
naterj wrote:I know some very intelligent people who went to Kent under these same false presumptions... they're unemployed.

Well I bet they weren't as smart as OP - he didnt even try in UG/LSAT and got a 3.6/161 8) And of course OP will try hard, unlike all the lazy fucks at Chicago Kent 8)

nailed it :mrgreen: :wink:

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun May 08, 2011 4:41 am

You should probably copy/paste that in the LSAT Prep section, they would love a good flaw question. 8)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:44 am

ish2189 wrote:this has all been very helpful -- kent shit scares me. i could take time off, it just sucks to be the bum who graduates and is chillin. on the other hand it could be awesome (long and short term).

i guess i'm sorta over it sandro, but basically, because i am very confident naturally, sometimes unreasonably so, and also because i am really, really smart. i don't want to toot my own horn, really, but the amount of work i've put into 4 years of undergrad (not proud, and it isn't law school but it's the only benchmark i've got) to end up top 15%(?we don't rank) strongly suggests to me that were i to do anything at all at kent i'd probably be able to shimmy my way up there. in the month of march i didn't work 4 hours -- i have no problem working 4+ hours a day in grad school. i'm not trying to brag and it doesn't much matter whether that statement will wind up true, but it's not like i can take a law exam right now to prove it so i guess this anecdote will have to do.

Edit:
Sandro wrote:

Listen. I got a 4.0 in undergrad and worked harder than most everyone I knew in UG. That doesn't mean shit in law school and I don't presume to be inherently better or predisposed to excelling more in law school than someone that got a 3.5 or lower in undergrad just like someone that gets a 180 on the LSAT shouldn't presume they will automatically do better than someone that got a 170. Though the LSAT and GPA are supposed to be the greatest indicators of law school performance, it all comes down to 1 test and you can nail it or bomb it. Hubris is a bitch and I get the feeling you'll find that out first hand.

ish2189

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:45 am

Flips88 wrote:
ish2189 wrote:this has all been very helpful -- kent shit scares me. i could take time off, it just sucks to be the bum who graduates and is chillin. on the other hand it could be awesome (long and short term).

Edit:
Sandro wrote:

Listen. I got a 4.0 in undergrad and worked harder than most everyone I knew in UG. That doesn't mean shit in law school and I don't presume to be inherently better or predisposed to excelling more in law school than someone that got a 3.5 or lower in undergrad just like someone that gets a 180 on the LSAT shouldn't presume they will automatically do better than someone that got a 170. Though the LSAT and GPA are supposed to be the greatest indicators of law school performance, it all comes down to 1 test and you can nail it or bomb it. Hubris is a bitch.

well that was a joke, but true and true.

or unrestrained optimism...?

ish2189

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:45 am

abort this thread

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun May 08, 2011 4:54 am

If you are really really smart why did you get a 161?

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Sun May 08, 2011 4:57 am

Sandro wrote:If you are really really smart why did you get a 161?

Yup.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun May 08, 2011 5:04 am

DUDE I BARELY STUDIED JUST TRUST ME IM REALLY REALLY SMART I HAVE A 3.6 IN UNDERGRAD I WILL PWN IN LAWL SCHOOL.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun May 08, 2011 5:15 am

I love undue confidence on TLS. It is the sort of thing that internet forums were made to combat.

OP you aren't smart. In fact you are quite foolish. Assuming you will excel at something you have no experience doing is the definition of arrogance. A smart person would realize that they have no control over how well they perform in law school at this point and retake because that is the one thing you do have control over.

Either way I wish you the best.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun May 08, 2011 5:23 am

I didnt really practice soccer a lot when I was younger but was one of the top players in my league. If I try at all, I should be able to shimmy my way into batting cleanup for the Yankees.

That is essentially the same argument OP makes 8)

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun May 08, 2011 5:26 am

naterj wrote:

DUDE I BARELY STUDIED JUST TRUST ME IM REALLY REALLY SMART I HAVE A 3.6 IN UNDERGRAD I WILL PWN IN LAWL SCHOOL.

Yo, yo, yo - I'm really, really , REALLY smart. Want proof ? I didnt even go to class, open a book, or anything - and I got a 3.6 in UG.

Now, I could do the same in law school and perform just as well - but imagine if I tried a little ? Editor in Chief Chicago Kent Law Review here I come !!!! (which who BTW was unemployed at graduation recently, if I recall reading something correctly)

Also - curious as to how a median lsat median GPA applicant snags a "full ride" at Chicago Kent. No doubt they obviously realized how smart OP is.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:10 am

OP, get an internship for some type of music company (which will likely be unpaid, but if you are serious about your goals, you want to do this), couple it with a service job, and do that for a year while you re-take the LSAT. Don't go to those schools if you want to work in NY.

Here's a website that should help you out: http://www.entertainmentcareers.net.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 am

ish2189 wrote:i bet you love ayn rand.

LOL this was supposed to be a jab?

Top 10% at UNC ain't gonna get you NYC entertainment jerbs. Retake or don't go.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:37 am

ish2189 wrote:can i not lock this thread?

ish2189 wrote:abort this thread

Only when you realize you're arguments are untenable and TLS is raping do you want to end the misery. Pretty pathetic.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Sun May 08, 2011 1:47 pm

I didn't try *at all* at a top state school, probably went to class 1/3 of the time and I got a 3.9. I'm still terrified of the competition at law school, ESPECIALLY because I developed such bad studying habits in ug.

Bottomline? Your 3.6 is unimpressive. Law school is going to bitchslap you.

And I'm thinking it's good you didn't apply to UT. I know a lot, a loot of people in the music business down here and - how did you put it? - "pompous dicks" like you get burned regularly.

/reality /I can be lame and #hashtag shit too

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun May 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Willful ignorance is not going to keep you out of the unemployment line, OP. And I would suggest that you're not nearly as smart as you think you are (evidence: 3.6 GPA- even without "trying hard," 161 LSAT, failing to adequately research the application process, seriously considering Chicago-Kent). But hey, I'm sure you'll be able to miraculously pull it all together in law school. Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”