Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 2:59 am

I've got a bit of a dilemma. The law school admissions process hasn't gone fantastically for me. As of now, I'm sitting with a full ride to Chicago-Kent and waitlist offers from Tulane and UNC. Down the road, I want to work for a record label or otherwise in the music industry, hopefully in New York. I'm 161/3.6/excellent writer, and I'm starting to do some soul searching about the next year more with every passing day.

I'm disappointed with my prospects, and myself, because my situation is entirely my fault -- I botched my application process in every way possible. I barely studied for the LSAT (and got screwed on RC but that's a different story), and I applied to almost every school within a week deadline. My resume could have been cleaner as well.

What should I do? I'll go to Chapel Hill if I get an offer (good music city, among other things), but should I go to Kent if nothing else materializes? Chicago is a cool city, but I don't see myself living there long-term and from what I understand Kent is pretty much worthless at placing students out of the area.

I have little doubt about my ability to succeed at Kent. I exhibited shameful lack of effort during undergrad at a solid school and still wound up with a respectable GPA, so I think with effort I'd would have no problem being at the top of my class in Chicago, but how far would stellar grades and involvement at Kent take me down the road? Should I take a year off, work and retake the LSAT? Go and plan to transfer?

Help??

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Sandro » Sun May 08, 2011 3:05 am

ish2189 wrote: so I think with effort I'd would have no problem being at the top of my class in Chicago,

8)

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:11 am

Sandro wrote:
ish2189 wrote: so I think with effort I'd would have no problem being at the top of my class in Chicago,

8)

hey man confidence is important, and i'd work my ass off.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun May 08, 2011 3:12 am

You didn't hard in undergrad. You didn't try hard on either the LSAT or the rest of your application package. But you're convinced you'll try hard in law school?

My advise? Try hard on the LSAT (and the rest of your application). It's a lot easier to improve your job prospects by working hard on the LSAT than it is by working hard in law school.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun May 08, 2011 3:13 am

ish2189 wrote:
Sandro wrote:
ish2189 wrote: so I think with effort I'd would have no problem being at the top of my class in Chicago,

8)

hey man confidence is important, and i'd work my ass off.


Hard work is typically necessary but not sufficient for doing really well in law school.

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:18 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:You didn't hard in undergrad. You didn't try hard on either the LSAT or the rest of your application package. But you're convinced you'll try hard in law school?

My advise? Try hard on the LSAT (and the rest of your application). It's a lot easier to improve your job prospects by working hard on the LSAT than it is by working hard in law school.


There is something of an extenuating circumstance on the LSAT -- I didn't decide for sure on law school until April, and then I studied abroad all summer, meaning that at best I'd have had a month and a half of study (which i didn't utilize, but there's the pattern, i guess). I've always tried hard enough to get by, but I know that a 'this is the real world' sort of situation would be a big perspective changer. Plus I'm through with the skip class, ignore readings, party every night shtick. Rubber meets road, you know?

Is work during that off year important? Obviously I'd get a job, but how much does it matter whether that's waiting tables or clerking for some firm or interning with a political campaign or with a music venue?

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Lawquacious » Sun May 08, 2011 3:20 am

Retake.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun May 08, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:21 am

Lawquacious wrote:Retake. /thread


i don't want to dick around for a year. i want to be somewhere next year. /childish

EDIT: and also, how about UNC?

EDIT 2: and i don't mean to seem dismissive of this advice because i'm really not in the least.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:24 am

First, you will have a difficult time going to NY from these schools.
Second, if you want to work for a record label why the hell are you going to law school?
Third, you should never go to law school expecting to transfer up. Most likely, you will end up disappointed.
Fourth, everyone thinks they can be in the top 10% in their class, but for obvious reasons not everyone ends up in the top 10%. You should never underestimate the competition that you will encounter at law school whether in the T14, T2, or TTTT.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun May 08, 2011 3:30 am

ish2189 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:You didn't hard in undergrad. You didn't try hard on either the LSAT or the rest of your application package. But you're convinced you'll try hard in law school?

My advise? Try hard on the LSAT (and the rest of your application). It's a lot easier to improve your job prospects by working hard on the LSAT than it is by working hard in law school.


There is something of an extenuating circumstance on the LSAT -- I didn't decide for sure on law school until April, and then I studied abroad all summer, meaning that at best I'd have had a month and a half of study (which i didn't utilize, but there's the pattern, i guess). I've always tried hard enough to get by, but I know that a 'this is the real world' sort of situation would be a big perspective changer. Plus I'm through with the skip class, ignore readings, party every night shtick. Rubber meets road, you know?

Is work during that off year important? Obviously I'd get a job, but how much does it matter whether that's waiting tables or clerking for some firm or interning with a political campaign or with a music venue?


IMO, what you do in the year off at best will only have a marginal effect (unless it's just something awesome). I would just do what interests you the most. It would be helpful to look for things that you could weave into your personal statement and things that may help you start to explore future legal paths, but most opportunities aren't going to present different results in terms of law school application boosts. If it were me, I would get a job that I knew I would enjoy and would leave me a lot of time to devote to studying for the LSAT.

If you are afraid of thinking of taking a year off is dicking around, think of studying for the LSAT as your new part time job that has the potential to pay A LOT. If you can boost your score 8-10 points, that's the equivalent of a shit-ton of money in scholarships to schools much better than the ones you are considering now.

edit: Taking a year off also gives you the advantage of making sure law school (and being a lawyer) is the right decision for you. A lot better to figure that out before wasting years of your life and potentially thousands of dollars.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Sun May 08, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:30 am

dpk711 wrote:First, you will have a difficult time going to NY from these schools.
Second, if you want to work for a record label why the hell are you going to law school?
Third, everyone thinks they can be in the top 10% in their class, but for obvious reasons not everyone ends up in the top 10%. You should never underestimate the competition that you will encounter at law school whether in the T14, T2, or TTTT.


good damn question: as a musician, i accept my band's not happening. As a child who was weaned on John Grisham novels, it's romantic. And as a student who kicked ass in -- and loved -- every law-related i ever took (the only ones i found genuinely engaging, really), I think it would be rewarding. I cant stand agents and am somewhat wary of advertising. I like the financial security and prestige of law. There are lots of reasons. Music industry isn't the only thing i'm drawn too, though; I'd like to do gender equality or veteran's advocacy as well. i want to be in New York (romantic, again).

I will be top 10%.
Last edited by ish2189 on Sun May 08, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Lawquacious » Sun May 08, 2011 3:31 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
My advise? Try hard on the LSAT (and the rest of your application). It's a lot easier to improve your job prospects by working hard on the LSAT than it is by working hard in law school.


+1

Retake is the only reasonable option IMO if you really hardly studied for the LSAT. It will give you way better options. But it sounds to me like you may need to really think about whether law school is right for you.

And yeah, if you're on full-scholly (based on merit and not diversity) at a school I think that means you will have a better chance at being near the top of the class than if you went in at sticker, but it isn't a guarantee.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun May 08, 2011 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:32 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
My advise? Try hard on the LSAT (and the rest of your application). It's a lot easier to improve your job prospects by working hard on the LSAT than it is by working hard in law school.


+1

Retake is the only reasonable option IMO if you really hardly studied for the LSAT. It will give you way better options. But is sounds to me like you may need to really think about whether law school is right for you.

And yeah, if your on full-scholly based on merit and not diversity at a school I think that means you will have a better chance at being near the top of the class than if you went in at sticker, but it isn't a guarantee.


I'm a half-indian half-black trans male who is also deaf.

Edit: this is simultaneously what i don't want to hear and what i need. thanks. buttt if chapel hill does come through, how does that figure. I'm in state and ($) is important... i'll graduate with a fair amount of debt.
Last edited by ish2189 on Sun May 08, 2011 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Lawquacious » Sun May 08, 2011 3:34 am


User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:35 am

ish2189 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:First, you will have a difficult time going to NY from these schools.
Second, if you want to work for a record label why the hell are you going to law school?
Third, everyone thinks they can be in the top 10% in their class, but for obvious reasons not everyone ends up in the top 10%. You should never underestimate the competition that you will encounter at law school whether in the T14, T2, or TTTT.


good damn question: as a musician, i accept my band's not happening. As a child who was weaned on John Grisham novels, it's romantic. And as a student who kicked ass in -- and loved -- every law-related i ever took (the only ones i found genuinely engaging, really), I think it would be rewarding. I cant stand agents and am somewhat wary of advertising. I like the financial security and prestige of law. There are lots of reasons. Music industry isn't the only thing i'm drawn too, though; I'd like to do gender equality or veteran's advocacy as well. i want to be in New York (romantic, again).

Don't wanna sound like a dick but you won't be able to count on financial security from any of these schools. Also, don't believe what you see in the movies or TV, law is generally not a prestigious vocation, in fact many lawyers get paid below 60K a year while having to pay off 6-digit debt loads from law school. Lastly, you shouldn't go to law school just because "you think it would be rewarding". You are about to get into significant debt and 3 years of virtual hell just because you read a few fictional books.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:36 am

ish2189 wrote:I will be top 10%.

If this was a joke then it wasn't funny. If you were serious then you will learn a good lesson.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Lawquacious » Sun May 08, 2011 3:37 am

ish2189 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
My advise? Try hard on the LSAT (and the rest of your application). It's a lot easier to improve your job prospects by working hard on the LSAT than it is by working hard in law school.


+1

Retake is the only reasonable option IMO if you really hardly studied for the LSAT. It will give you way better options. But is sounds to me like you may need to really think about whether law school is right for you.

And yeah, if your on full-scholly based on merit and not diversity at a school I think that means you will have a better chance at being near the top of the class than if you went in at sticker, but it isn't a guarantee.


I'm a half-indian half-black trans male who is also deaf



The point is that some ppl get large schollys for reasons other than well-above median LSATs, and obviously they are less likely than someone given full-scholly based on numbers to be toward the top of the competition. But your confidence is pretty ridiculous re: "I will be at the top of the class." Seriously, hope you're kidding about that. Not saying it won't happen if you do end up at Kent, but those are presumptuous words. In fact most of what you have said comes off as being presumptous to me. Anyway, best of luck.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun May 08, 2011 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun May 08, 2011 3:37 am

ish2189 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:First, you will have a difficult time going to NY from these schools.
Second, if you want to work for a record label why the hell are you going to law school?
Third, everyone thinks they can be in the top 10% in their class, but for obvious reasons not everyone ends up in the top 10%. You should never underestimate the competition that you will encounter at law school whether in the T14, T2, or TTTT.


good damn question: as a musician, i accept my band's not happening. As a child who was weaned on John Grisham novels, it's romantic. And as a student who kicked ass in -- and loved -- every law-related i ever took (the only ones i found genuinely engaging, really), I think it would be rewarding. I cant stand agents and am somewhat wary of advertising. I like the financial security and prestige of law. There are lots of reasons. Music industry isn't the only thing i'm drawn too, though; I'd like to do gender equality or veteran's advocacy as well. i want to be in New York (romantic, again).

I will be top 10%.


Not sure if going to chicago-kent will give you financial security. And it may give you lay prestige, but you won't look too prestigious in the legal community.

You probably need to try and talk to some practicing lawyers to get a perspective of practicing law that does not come from fiction novels.

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:40 am

dpk711 wrote:
ish2189 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:First, you will have a difficult time going to NY from these schools.
Second, if you want to work for a record label why the hell are you going to law school?
Third, everyone thinks they can be in the top 10% in their class, but for obvious reasons not everyone ends up in the top 10%. You should never underestimate the competition that you will encounter at law school whether in the T14, T2, or TTTT.


good damn question: as a musician, i accept my band's not happening. As a child who was weaned on John Grisham novels, it's romantic. And as a student who kicked ass in -- and loved -- every law-related i ever took (the only ones i found genuinely engaging, really), I think it would be rewarding. I cant stand agents and am somewhat wary of advertising. I like the financial security and prestige of law. There are lots of reasons. Music industry isn't the only thing i'm drawn too, though; I'd like to do gender equality or veteran's advocacy as well. i want to be in New York (romantic, again).

Don't wanna sound like a dick but you won't be able to count on financial security from any of these schools. Also, don't believe what you see in the movies or TV, law is generally not a prestigious vocation, in fact many lawyers get paid below 60K a year while having to pay off 6-digit debt loads from law school. Lastly, you shouldn't go to law school just because "you think it would be rewarding". You are about to get into significant debt and 3 years of virtual hell just because you read a few fictional books.

no it's appreciated. law school wouldn't be rewarding, i meant the legal profession. the grisham bit was mainly for ambiance, anyway -- i squirmed writing it.

lawquacious: "Now why did I do that?" - General William Erskine after jumping out of a window in Lisbon.

i'm totally cool with the 10% h8. but come on man, at fuckin kent?

#grisham4eva

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby Lawquacious » Sun May 08, 2011 3:43 am

Retake. /thread

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:45 am

Lawquacious wrote:Retake. /thread


unc???

Edit - even if a lesser option than retake, your thoughts in more than a word. /please
Last edited by ish2189 on Sun May 08, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:45 am

ish2189 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
ish2189 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:First, you will have a difficult time going to NY from these schools.
Second, if you want to work for a record label why the hell are you going to law school?
Third, everyone thinks they can be in the top 10% in their class, but for obvious reasons not everyone ends up in the top 10%. You should never underestimate the competition that you will encounter at law school whether in the T14, T2, or TTTT.


good damn question: as a musician, i accept my band's not happening. As a child who was weaned on John Grisham novels, it's romantic. And as a student who kicked ass in -- and loved -- every law-related i ever took (the only ones i found genuinely engaging, really), I think it would be rewarding. I cant stand agents and am somewhat wary of advertising. I like the financial security and prestige of law. There are lots of reasons. Music industry isn't the only thing i'm drawn too, though; I'd like to do gender equality or veteran's advocacy as well. i want to be in New York (romantic, again).

Don't wanna sound like a dick but you won't be able to count on financial security from any of these schools. Also, don't believe what you see in the movies or TV, law is generally not a prestigious vocation, in fact many lawyers get paid below 60K a year while having to pay off 6-digit debt loads from law school. Lastly, you shouldn't go to law school just because "you think it would be rewarding". You are about to get into significant debt and 3 years of virtual hell just because you read a few fictional books.

no it's appreciated. law school wouldn't be rewarding, i meant the legal profession. the grisham bit was mainly for ambiance, anyway -- i squirmed writing it.

lawquacious: "Now why did I do that?" - General William Erskine after jumping out of a window in Lisbon.

i'm totally cool with the 10% h8. but come on man, at fuckin kent?

#grisham4eva

You're either a moron or a lame troll. Either way, I think you deserve to go to law school and be unemployed with 100K+ in debt.

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:46 am

dpk711 wrote:You're either a moron or a lame troll. Either way, I think you deserve to go to law school and be unemployed with 100K+ in debt.


guilty of both, maybe? glad there's such compassion here

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:47 am

ish2189 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:You're either a moron or a lame troll. Either way, I think you deserve to go to law school and be unemployed with 100K+ in debt.


guilty of both, maybe? glad there's such compassion here

Don't come back here crying we didn't warn you.

ish2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Should I stay or should I go? My admissions quandry

Postby ish2189 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:52 am

dpk711 wrote:
ish2189 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:You're either a moron or a lame troll. Either way, I think you deserve to go to law school and be unemployed with 100K+ in debt.


guilty of both, maybe? glad there's such compassion here

Don't come back here crying we didn't warn you.


no don't think i'll do that. unless i just add you as a 'foe'... WHAT DOES THIS MEAN@?@? no really what does it mean?

and thx all for advice n stuff




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests