USD or Fordham?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LadyHawk

USD or Fordham?

Postby LadyHawk » Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 pm

USD is offering 25k/year, I just got my acceptance email from Fordham though so no info about $$ yet. I want to do criminal defense so placement in Big Law really doesn't make a difference to me. I love San Diego & went to undergrad and grad school there, so it's familiar, close to family, I have a lot of friends there, and my family is full of attorneys so I have connections all over So Cal. Not to mention COL in SD will be significantly lower than Manhattan. But Fordham ranked much higher... and is in NYC & having grown up and gone to school in So Cal it's hard to justify not taking the opportunity to move to New York. I'm jut not sure if my balls are big enough to handle such a huge change. Anyway, I'd really love to hear some thoughts on this! Thanks!

cool of law

Re: USD or Fordham?

Postby cool of law » Sat May 07, 2011 10:34 pm

At first I was going to say Fordham because of its ranking and better job opportunities, but it just seems like SD is the place for you for all of the reasons you mentioned. Ask USD for more money and enjoy life in the best city on earth. (Not going to USD but San Diego native)

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat May 07, 2011 10:35 pm

your logic is strong. you know USD probably means Cali job prospects and Fordham might offer NYC

i'd vote for USD b/c you said you love SD, the lower CoA, and your connections. the background of the recommendation would boil down to a focus on the long term. better to have good to great job prospects and jobs after 3 years at USD than 3 years of living the life in NYC w/ its high CoL and diminished job prospects coming out

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat May 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Fordham = the #3 school in town.

San Diego = the best school in the area.

You want to move across country to attend a school that is not #1, not #2, but #3 in its town?

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:52 pm

Stay in San Diego and enjoy life!

thedive

Postby thedive » Sun May 08, 2011 12:35 am

USD without a doubt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”