UW Madison Chicago-Kent, need to decide

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

UW Madison (165k total)
75%
Chicago-Kent (133K total)
25%

Total votes: 48

Snape

Re: UW Madison Chicago-Kent, need to decide

Postby Snape » Thu May 12, 2011 4:04 pm

jelly wrote:
Snape wrote:You have a MUCH better placing in Chicago from Wisconsin--no doubt about that! Only chance at anything from Kent is Chicago (maybe 5% get biglaw)--top 20% from Wisconin or more have a very good chance at biglaw in Chicago--many choose to stay in Wisco though becasue that is where they are from and want to practice---Kent is a TTT---just about anybody or any firm in Chicago will confirm

Not true. Lots of Wisconsin grads have trouble placing in Chicago. Overall, Kent is the better choice for Chicago but whether it is the better choice if your goals do not involve practicing in Chicago is a different question.

NOT TRUE: Almost ALL Kent grade have trouble placing anywhere in the world, including Chicago, b/c Chicago is their only hope (1-5% hope) doesnt mean they place better--what terrible logic! If you want Chicago, Wisco is the better option. No doubt or debate. You still have to do very well but someone at 15-20% class rank as Wisco has a decent shot at Chicago where at Kent they are basically hoping for hourly paralegal work.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Thu May 12, 2011 4:09 pm

dood wrote:which is not necessarily bad. working at foley or quarles bradley making $145K in milwaukee = u RICH.

To be fair, Foley starts at $130,000 and Quarles & Brady at $115,000. Not a huge difference, but it's good to know exactly what your prospects are.

sunshine123

Postby sunshine123 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Snape wrote:
jelly wrote:
Snape wrote:You have a MUCH better placing in Chicago from Wisconsin--no doubt about that! Only chance at anything from Kent is Chicago (maybe 5% get biglaw)--top 20% from Wisconin or more have a very good chance at biglaw in Chicago--many choose to stay in Wisco though becasue that is where they are from and want to practice---Kent is a TTT---just about anybody or any firm in Chicago will confirm

Not true. Lots of Wisconsin grads have trouble placing in Chicago. Overall, Kent is the better choice for Chicago but whether it is the better choice if your goals do not involve practicing in Chicago is a different question.

NOT TRUE: Almost ALL Kent grade have trouble placing anywhere in the world, including Chicago, b/c Chicago is their only hope (1-5% hope) doesnt mean they place better--what terrible logic! If you want Chicago, Wisco is the better option. No doubt or debate. You still have to do very well but someone at 15-20% class rank as Wisco has a decent shot at Chicago where at Kent they are basically hoping for hourly paralegal work.

Wow. Someone has a stick up their ass.

RUM

Postby RUM » Thu May 12, 2011 4:24 pm

What about if I was open to working in wisconsin for a couple years with the prospects of moving back to chicago, also anyone know how that works, if i work in wisconsin for a couple years would i have to take the illinois bar if i wanted to move back?

Snape

Postby Snape » Thu May 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Or someone is just trying to be honest about the situation to help...or maybe they cant stand faulty logic from future lawyers...

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu May 12, 2011 5:32 pm

RUM wrote:What about if I was open to working in wisconsin for a couple years with the prospects of moving back to chicago, also anyone know how that works, if i work in wisconsin for a couple years would i have to take the illinois bar if i wanted to move back?

I think there is a five year rule. Basically, if you're practicing for more than five years you can switche over fairly easily. Any less and you'll retake the bar.

You may also have to take the bar regardless if you never sat for Wisco's.

I'm really not sure though.

administrator

Postby administrator » Thu May 12, 2011 6:52 pm

RUM wrote:What about if I was open to working in wisconsin for a couple years with the prospects of moving back to chicago, also anyone know how that works, if i work in wisconsin for a couple years would i have to take the illinois bar if i wanted to move back?

Yes, you would have to take the Illinois bar if you moved back.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”