(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
emjay

Postby emjay » Fri May 06, 2011 3:06 pm

Last edited by emjay on Sat May 07, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tourdeforcex

Re: BU, Fordham, or Brooklyn?

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri May 06, 2011 3:10 pm

if based strictly on wanting NYC, i think you know the credited response is fordham.

if we include cost of attendance (basic COL substantially higher in NYC) and preference of place of study, different story.

what were your impressions from visits / admitted students days?

emjay

Postby emjay » Fri May 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Last edited by emjay on Sat May 07, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri May 06, 2011 3:18 pm

this is merely my opinion, but i think taking BU over BLS w/ $$$$ can be credited if you believe your gamble for biglaw is attainable and you can put in the necessary discipline, effort, etc etc.

you didn't mention anything about liking fordham from open house...

how about this: where do you think you can be in your best environment to succeed?

(i.e. what would the point of trying to close that fordham NYC connection if you for some reason cannot study well at F?)

emjay

Postby emjay » Fri May 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Last edited by emjay on Sat May 07, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Fri May 06, 2011 3:45 pm

I think BU is the clear winner here. BU places better than Fordham. BU will open the same NYC doors that Fordham will open (all things being equal - i.e., you theoretically did the same at both schools). Perhaps there are a handful of firms that recruit at Fordham and not BU, but I think that is probably pretty small. And nothing will prevent you from a direct application if you are a strong candidate at BU. And BU will certainly open Boston doors better than Fordham.

120k of debt is perfectly manageable - whether you get biglaw or not.

I would be leery of Brooklyn for precisely the reasons you mentioned - if you don't do well, you are going to be destined to very poor job prospects. If you miss the biglaw boat out of the gate, then it is hard to catch it later in life.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Go to BU. Neither it nor Fordham will guarantee you a high paying NYC job, and with BU's superior placement in Boston and other places, I think it's worth giving up a slightly better shot at NYC. With the cost difference on top of that, this choice seems easy.
p.s. I still think BLS is out

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Fri May 06, 2011 3:58 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Go to BU. Neither it nor Fordham will guarantee you a high paying NYC job, and with BU's superior placement in Boston and other places, I think it's worth giving up a slightly better shot at NYC. With the cost difference on top of that, this choice seems easy.
p.s. I still think BLS is out

I agree.

One comment I do think needs to be clarified is the idea that BU's better placement in Boston/other regions has importance. In my opinion it doesn't. In my experience interviewing for a Boston summer associate position, Boston is a harder market to obtain than NYC - even if you attend Harvard/BC/BU. There are simply not as many SA positions to go around. In my experience, people who got one or two Boston offers got significantly more NYC offers. Likewise, some people who got NYC offers struck out in terms of Boston offers. The point I'm trying to make is that iif you can get a Boston SA offer, then you will be able to land at least one NYC SA offer. So, as far as the OP is concerned, I think it is irrelevant whether BU places in other markets. OP wants NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”