Error

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gjr8891
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Error

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Message body:
Enter your message here, it may contain no more than 60000 characters.
Last edited by gjr8891 on Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UArk - Fay VS. OU

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:13 pm

gjr8891 wrote:There are a lot of specific factors to list but here's the main factors that need consideration:

I'm still wait-listed at OU. I may just be getting my hopes up but I feel good about getting accepted in the near future.
Since receiving the WL email, I have...
(1) submitted a LOCI with a strong recommendation letter from a supervisor at my present job (in the DA's Office),
(2) toured the law center and spoke with several Admissions Office personnel,
(3) my wife and I even sat down with the Director of Admissions and had a great conversation, she was very helpful and seemed to really enjoy talking with us,
(4) and I followed up with Thank You emails the next day to the people I spoke with on my tour/visit

Arkansas offered $8,000 for the the first year, making my first year's tuition near the in-state price. After my first year, I'd plan on establishing residency so I would then benefit from the incredibly low, in-state tuition (I've heard this is very easy to do in Arkansas).

If accepted to OU, a scholly is unlikely and I've heard that establishing residency in Oklahoma is incredibly difficult. I could easily be looking at paying the full out-of-state sticker price for 3 years.

My wife and I currently live in Small-town, Texas so both schools will provide a significant change of scenery.

I grew up in Dallas and may have some helpful connections upon graduation from LS, no guarantees though, of course.

Both schools dominate the legal market in their state but neither is very strong outside of their state. I definitely want to come back to Texas eventually but I would be ok with working in OKC or Little Rock for a while if that's where I find a job upon graduation.

Both Norman and Fayetteville could be difficult towns for my wife to find a job in but Norman's proximity to OKC would be nice for her.

All opinions are welcome and thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out :D


I'm almost positive you can get in-state at OU after your 1L year. I mean, your wife will be employed by then in some manner or another, and that is usually all it takes for these state schools. In fact, usually you can get in-state for the 1L year as well so long as you are married and your spouse gets a job before classes start.

I think OU is a good step up from Ark. What are your numbers? OU probably isn't going to let you in unless you are above one of their medians. Then again, you were waitlisted so maybe you have something they might want. In regards to Dallas, OU >>> Ark. You will have a much easier time moving to Dallas after working in Oklahoma a few years after graduating from OU. Norman is only like 2 or 2 1/2 hours from Dallas and there are lots of alums there.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: UArk - Fay VS. OU

Postby patrickd139 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Don't go to either school if you want to go back to Texas, especially to Dallas. To say that neither places well really understates just how poor their placement is for Texas. In all seriousness, sit out a year and either up your score enough to get into SMU/UofH or sit out a year and go to Tech or STCL.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: UArk - Fay VS. OU

Postby patrickd139 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:22 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:I'm almost positive you can get in-state at OU after your 1L year. I mean, your wife will be employed by then in some manner or another, and that is usually all it takes for these state schools. In fact, usually you can get in-state for the 1L year as well so long as you are married and your spouse gets a job before classes start.

This is patently false. You can get in state tuition for OU Law only if you have a full-time job lined up in the legal field after law school. You must prove that with a letter from your future employer. Trust me on this one.

mrwarre85 wrote:In regards to Dallas, OU >>> Ark. You will have a much easier time moving to Dallas after working in Oklahoma a few years after graduating from OU. Norman is only like 2 or 2 1/2 hours from Dallas and there are lots of alums there.

Taken independently, each one of these statements is true. However, their sum is much less than the individual parts.

OU is greater for Dallas than Arkansas. But neither is great. Anecdotally, OU only places marginally better in Dallas than Arkansas, and I'm not even sure the numbers back up that statement. And for you personally, the scholarship from Arkansas more than eviscerates any advantage OU might have. That's $24,000 you won't have to spend. Bonus points if you're in-state at Arkansas.

The second part is not true. Please, please don't go to law school intending to practice for a few years in one state and then move to another state. That requires passing the bar in two states, building a practice (none of which you can take with you across state lines), uprooting your family and moving back and starting from scratch. Please think this through if you want to live in Texas.

The distance should not be dispositive. You're not going to have time in law school to do networking events in Dallas, and there are no networking events with Dallas alums in Norman at OU (not sure about Arkansas).

There are alums in Dallas from both schools. You should not bank on this getting you a job.

gjr8891
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: UArk - Fay VS. OU

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:28 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Don't go to either school if you want to go back to Texas, especially to Dallas. To say that neither places well really understates just how poor their placement is for Texas. In all seriousness, sit out a year and either up your score enough to get into SMU/UofH or sit out a year and go to Tech or STCL.


I'd much rather go to Arkansas or OU before any Texas T3 school, just personal preference. And I understand how difficult/near impossible it will be to get a good Dallas job after graduation from either school, but if I can land a good job in OKC or Little Rock I will be alright with that. While I do want to come back to Texas eventually, it doesn't have to be immediate and it doesn't have to be Dallas (but that would be nice)

gjr8891
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: UArk - Fay VS. OU

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:44 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Please, please don't go to law school intending to practice for a few years in one state and then move to another state. That requires passing the bar in two states, building a practice (none of which you can take with you across state lines), uprooting your family and moving back and starting from scratch. Please think this through if you want to live in Texas.

The distance should not be dispositive. You're not going to have time in law school to do networking events in Dallas, and there are no networking events with Dallas alums in Norman at OU (not sure about Arkansas).

There are alums in Dallas from both schools. You should not bank on this getting you a job


This is definitely something to think about and I appreciate your straightforwardness. I know for Dallas jobs, UH or SMU would have been ideal schools to attend, and I applied to both, but I didn't get in. OU and UA-Fay are well respected in their regions and I will absolutely stay in that region upon graduation if things are going well.

Let's forget I even mentioned Dallas, as far as just going to the best school possible and taking potential loan debt into consideration, which school should I attend?

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: UArk - Fay VS. OU

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Really surprising about residency requirements at OU. Having a spouse is the golden ticket everywhere else.

gjr8891
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: UArk - Fay VS. OU

Postby gjr8891 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Well I'll definitely look into the Oklahoma residency issue more if I am accepted. Being newly married, it hadn't even crossed my mind that being married could potentially help.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mhr, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests