HELP!! Hofstra ($$$)/Syracuse ($)/West Virginia/FIU ($$$$) ? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hofstra v Syracuse v West Virginia v FIU ? With consideration of goals and 2L contingency plan...

Hofstra
14%
Syracuse
31%
West Virginia
11%
Florida International University
43%

Total votes: 35

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: HELP!! Hofstra ($$$)/Syracuse ($)/West Virginia/FIU ($$$$) ?

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon May 23, 2011 9:23 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
GetItRight23 wrote:there is still a difference in prestige between Tier 2 schools (Hofstra, Syracuse, West Virginia) and a Tier 4 (FIU) located in my desired region of employment
No there isn't.

FIU is a T3 as of this year! =) not that it makes much of a difference... but just saying. If I were you, I would go to FIU. I'm a 3L there. I turned down UM and FSU.
Did you receive a full ride over attending FSU at sticker?

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Mon May 23, 2011 9:24 pm

If you just want a JD go to florida and stay in good standing. You'll get a degree for the cost of living.
Your job options will be limited or, just as likely, non existent. But if you have some sort of plan and just need the degree, go to Florida.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Tue May 24, 2011 1:41 pm

FIU. Tuition-free JD and three years in the sun sounds good to me. Network like hell, hope the market picks up, and keep your fingers crossed.

At the other schools you'll accumulate major debt and be in danger of losing the scholly.

FIU: best of a bad lot.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Robespierre wrote:FIU. Tuition-free JD and three years in the sun sounds good to me. Network like hell, hope the market picks up, and keep your fingers crossed.

At the other schools you'll accumulate major debt and be in danger of losing the scholly.

Free law school is free law school.

I'd say Hofstra, because you will probably get some level of employment coming out around Long Island or from a Long Island native running a small practice in a city. I know a lot of alumni from the school, and the successful ones have small practices, and only hire from their own. I'm sure these jobs don't pay too much, though. I know one guy hired me to tutor his daughter for the LSAT for like 2 hours a day every day for a few months, and I think I was making almost as much as a temp lawyer he had working 8 hours a day.... but it's still a job. However, I don't think there's any way Hofstra gets you to Miami. I don't even think the people there have heard of Hofstra. Given your preferences, FIU is the smart choice. Just make law review, and it isn't such a bad option - it's free.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue May 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Robespierre wrote:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gjr8891

New

Post by gjr8891 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Go to FIU. Be debt free and in Miami. Good Luck.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed May 25, 2011 3:25 pm

I can't understand why people are voting for FIU. The only school here that will give you decent employment prospects is WVU. Of course, you'll be working in West Virginia, but it's really not so bad there. It's very pretty and the COL is low.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
GetItRight23 wrote:there is still a difference in prestige between Tier 2 schools (Hofstra, Syracuse, West Virginia) and a Tier 4 (FIU) located in my desired region of employment
No there isn't.

FIU is a T3 as of this year! =) not that it makes much of a difference... but just saying. If I were you, I would go to FIU. I'm a 3L there. I turned down UM and FSU.
Employed?

Yes. Employed at a reputable plaintiff's firm since my first summer. Work with lots of respectable ppl in the community. Love my job. Actually, all of my friends have paid summer jobs. Granted, we are not getting paid 2600/week, but we are still making some money while gaining experience. It is a seven-year-old law school. You cannot expect to get the jobs the ppl at UF are getting. I do not regret going to FIU.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed May 25, 2011 9:00 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
No there isn't.

Did you receive a full ride over attending FSU at sticker?

I got scholarship at FIU, but FSU is still only 17k/yr, so it was affordable. I got married right before law school. My husband has a good job. It was not the time to quit. I stayed in Miami partly so we could be together.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”