UCLA ($, instate) vs Cornell ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bruinrandy

UCLA ($, instate) vs Cornell ($)

Postby bruinrandy » Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Hey everyone

so i've seen a few posts like this before, but each case is different.
So i have offers from cornell and ucla, ucla has given me about half tuition and said they will try and match whatever cornell gives me (i haven't heard from cornell yet). If cornell gives me nothing then i'm attending ucla for sure.
I attended undergrad at ucla and probably want to work in california for at least my first few years, but perhaps want to work in DC later on.
i really like cornell's campus and small classes (this is a huge plus), and generally the environment of ithaca, i.e. laid back, relaxed and seemingly very friendly (although i'm very unsure about the 20+ feet of snow)
i really like UCLA being in a very nice part of LA and the fact that they have alumni, etc in and around cali. I don't necessarily want to work big law but it would be my first choice for career prospects right out of law school, with my intent being later on to go into public interest.
If it helps any currently i'm interested in international law, policy, and constitutional law (all to do with how business function under government/with government)

I take this from another similar post "There's also a "been there done that" phenomenon. Part of me thinks I should take this opportunity to do something completely different for three years."

However, my girlfriend of 2.5 years is currently a student at UCLA and will be for another year, she will move to cornell with me after my first year if i choose to go to cornell.
Last thing, to me cornell law has a bit of a ring to it that UCLA law doesn't have and it is a private school so i've heard they take pride in setting up really good interviews and therefore have better placement in general. (two lawyers have told me this is a thing to think about)

if anybody has the 2010 and 2009 biglaw placements for these two schools that would be great.

thanks in advance for all your opinions

ps: if one of the three top 6 schools i'm currently waitlisted for accepts me then this may be a moot discussion and i apologize if it becomes that (although i'll be simultaneously overjoyed)
Last edited by bruinrandy on Fri May 06, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Re: UCLA ($, instate) vs Cornell ($)

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 1:53 am

I'd take Cornell.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Fri May 06, 2011 11:30 am

Unless Cornell offers you huge money, why the hell wouldn't you go UCLA if you want to end up in Cali?
Also, it's 'moot' not 'mute.'

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri May 06, 2011 11:41 am

bruinrandy wrote:Hey everyone

I take this from another similar post "There's also a "been there done that" phenomenon. Part of me thinks I should take this opportunity to do something completely different for three years."

This is overrated. You don't need to do something completely different for three years given you are comfortable with where you are now. Go to UCLA because:

1. it gives you money
2. you want to practice in LA right after law school
3. your family and SO are there
4. your impression about Ithaca is true but may not be completed. Ithaca is depressing and can not be compared to westwood.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”