Maryland ($$$) v GW ($$) v GULC (Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
1stand15th

Maryland ($$$) v GW ($$) v GULC (Sticker)

Postby 1stand15th » Thu May 05, 2011 9:45 pm

3.3 / 176
Full ride at Maryland.
106k at GW, did not want to be bound by ED.
GULC offered me nothing at all in terms of money.

Yes, I did get into other T14. No, I will not be attending.
Because of family (baby on the way, wife has career here) I am inextricably bound to the Baltimore / D.C. Area for the foreseeable future.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

koalatriste

Re: Maryland ($$$) v GW ($$) v GULC (Sticker)

Postby koalatriste » Thu May 05, 2011 9:48 pm

koala says GW, because it's a truly wonderful place. koala went to GW for undergrad and misses it. you will LOVE foggy bottom and the Aston is ridic.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:52 pm

GULC is not worth stikcer, 106K at a T20 is nothing to laugh at, i think the choice is clear here.
Enjoy Jeedub.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu May 05, 2011 10:14 pm

I also got the 106k from GW and will almost certainly be taking it (already payed the first seat deposit, I assume you got that waived or something). I'm waiting to be rejected from Cornell, but even if by some miracle they accepted me, I doubt I'd get any money, which would still make GW my best bet.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 pm

wait witha 3.3 and 176 all you got was GW at 2/3 scholarship and no money from GULC?
How is this possible?
have you tried negotiating with GULC?

1stand15th

Postby 1stand15th » Thu May 05, 2011 10:32 pm

I can't explain it much either. I got decent money from Penn, tried to use that to get something out of GULC and they weren't having any of that. Seems like they have no trouble filling up their class with people willing to pay sticker. Unfortunately Penn is truly too far (UVA too) and I'm stuck with these choices.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Maryland, take the money and run

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm

1stand15th wrote:I can't explain it much either. I got decent money from Penn, tried to use that to get something out of GULC and they weren't having any of that. Seems like they have no trouble filling up their class with people willing to pay sticker. Unfortunately Penn is truly too far (UVA too) and I'm stuck with these choices.

Actually, if Penn gave you $$$ it should be the clear winner here.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 10:38 pm

dpk711 wrote:
1stand15th wrote:I can't explain it much either. I got decent money from Penn, tried to use that to get something out of GULC and they weren't having any of that. Seems like they have no trouble filling up their class with people willing to pay sticker. Unfortunately Penn is truly too far (UVA too) and I'm stuck with these choices.

Did you even read the original post.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:42 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

So you wouldn't even want to move a 2-hour drive away? If so why did you even apply to Penn in the first place?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 10:43 pm

dpk711 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

So you wouldn't even want to move a 2-hour drive away? If so why did you even apply to Penn in the first place?

Do you even know who the OP is?

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 pm

thexfactor wrote:wait witha 3.3 and 176 all you got was GW at 2/3 scholarship and no money from GULC?
How is this possible?
have you tried negotiating with GULC?

yeah I thought the same thing, that's a real tough break if those are you're only real options. Maybe worth it to try again next year?

Are you really unable to go to Penn for 3 years?

1stand15th

Postby 1stand15th » Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 pm

dpk711 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

I was harboring delusions about being able to convince my wife to relocate. But, alas, four years of debate and mock trial has left me ill prepared to convince a pregnant girl to move away from her mother.

My choices are the three schools listed above. Life will only get more complicated as the family grows.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 pm

reapply next year. Did you apply late for GULC? did you try negotiating for more?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 pm

1stand15th wrote:I was harboring delusions about being able to convince my wife to relocate. But, alas, four years of debate and mock trial has left me ill prepared to convince a pregnant girl to move away from her mother.

My choices are the three schools listed above. Life will only get more complicated as the family grows.

Gotcha, then I think the winner is what I previously stated -- GW. Good luck going to law school though with a family to take care of as well.

1stand15th

Postby 1stand15th » Thu May 05, 2011 10:52 pm

thexfactor wrote:reapply next year. Did you apply late for GULC? did you try negotiating for more?

My apps were all submitted sometime in late December -- I guess that's relatively late? Does GULC historically give money early and dry up later? I'd hate to think I missed out on tens of thousands of dollars because my LOR writer wouldn't get the damn thing out...

Welp, such is life. The consensus seems to be GW over GULC at sticker. Sort of what I figured, nice to hear it from others. Thanks for the input and well-wishes everyone.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:55 pm

1stand15th wrote:
thexfactor wrote:reapply next year. Did you apply late for GULC? did you try negotiating for more?

My apps were all submitted sometime in late December -- I guess that's relatively late? Does GULC historically give money early and dry up later? I'd hate to think I missed out on tens of thousands of dollars because my LOR writer wouldn't get the damn thing out...

Welp, such is life. The consensus seems to be GW over GULC at sticker. Sort of what I figured, nice to hear it from others. Thanks for the input and well-wishes everyone.

I applied to GULC at Nov. and got $105,000. My numbers are 172/3.5 -- I definitely think applying earlier helps with $$$.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”